iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut cut today w/ pics

Started by Sparty, March 21, 2008, 05:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparty

I finally cut up my walnut stock today.  It was only about 1200 ft of lumber, but we got some great planks from it.  I haven't posted pics since the crash, so be patient :-\

Sparty

My apologies for putting a crook in your neck with those sideways photos.  ;D

beenthere

Nice walnut, but I get tired real fast standin an holdin 'em up like that....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sparty

It saves on stickers though! 

Robert Long

Hey Sparty ;)

Nice looking boards!    I can hardly wait to get into my pile of walnut as I know I have a couple of nice logs waiting to show me their good side! ;D

I see you keep your bark edge on some of them.......I now remove all bark because I am always stuck with bark edge boards at the wrong time and am forced to rip them on the table saw.
:( :(
What is your sawmill?  It cuts a nice board!

Robert

John Bartley

Nice stuff!!

I can hardly wait for the snow to go so that I can cut some nice hardwood like that. I've got another 2000-3000bdft of Whit Pine to get dug out of the snow and get cut first though.

cheers
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

zopi

I cut up a little maple the other day...not much to look at, but it sure is more fun than pine...

I have so got to find some walnut to play with..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

metalspinner

Those are really nice, Sparty! 8)

"Only 1200 BF,"  you say.  That's funny. :D  I wish I had only 1200bf of stuff like that.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

Those quarter sawn boards in the first two pics are fabulous 8).  They would make a perfect tabletop, or a desktop, or the top of a blanket chest, or the top of a chest-of-drawers, or, or, or......well, you get the picture ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

MikeH

Nice work, I spent all day trying to cut down 600 bdft. Walnut.  It didn't go so well, fresh snow fall and got a flat on skid steere.

Sparty

I hire a local sawyer to cut for me.  He uses a woodmizer and can work pretty fast.  I think the final tally was about 1000 bd ft in a little over 5 hours, including lunch.  Of course, you can really crank out the footage when you cut thick slabs.  I swear that the last few logs must have been really wet because the slabs seemed a LOT heavier than the first ones ;D.  I still have a 42" diameter walnut with crotch to be slabbed by his peterson.

Our snow started right as we were covering up the stickered stacks.  I woke up this morning to about a foot of snow.  I really didn't want to shovel snow anymore...

Ironwood

Nice, but REALLY sad leaving the sapwood in the slab pile, I get a little watery in the eye.  :'(

ironwood (cuttem fresh and leave no sapwood behind)
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Sparty

You'd be surprised how small the slab pile is.  I always have him trim down the log to size by cutting 5/4 slabs off until he can take full width cuts (as wide as he can cut with the WM).  Only the slabs that are mostly bark go to the kindling pile.  I believe strongly in conserving resources... all of those logs are recovered.

getoverit

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Ron Scott

Very Nice! I also experienced SE Michigan's snowstorm last night. Going to venture out some now.
~Ron

TexasTimbers

Those are super nice boards just like they are. But I too prefer to keep the sap 99% of the time when feasable. The end user can always cut it out - or if it is for stock, your eventual buyer can always ask you not to figure the sap in the BF, or can have you just rip it off the boards. But you can't put it back on and I like leaving all my options open when possible.

Not just on walnut but I like sap on most all wooods. It's personal preference of course. Some woodworkers I'm sure wouldn't think of keeping the sap in any project.

Check out this geetar. I think it would have been borrrrring without that sap! Well, maybe not boring - that bookmatch is a nice one, but I like it better with the light dark contrast added.

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Ironwood

Give me sap AND bark. If the customer does not want it, I DON"T WANT THEM! Sinful not to use that sapwood.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Larry

I'm not quite sure I'm going quite that far Reed.  I've wasted some walnut sapwood over the years.

First two pics are what most people I know, call ribbon stripe walnut.  The boards appear to be FAS and quite wide.  Those boards might be high dollar to the right person as that cut is not seen often.

I much prefer the boards in the last two pictures...and you say that lumber is out in the middle of a field...no armed guards or dogs??  I might visit later tonight. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ironwood

Me luve'm sap, you can see the curl in some of the  pics.  Table top is from the curly one leaning on the truck as are. From construction site locally the chair slats

Ironwood

Sparty

Well.. the claim that not using the sapwood is sinful was a bit rude, but I won't take offense because you don't know me.  I have been recycling urban trees and barn beams into furniture for a few years now, and I always make the best use of a tree that I can.  My grandfather taught me a deep respect for this resource.  Next chance I get, I'll post a picture of some of the sapwood boards that I got from those logs.  Just because you don't see the sap on a couple boards doesn't mean that it isn't contained within others.  I don't have the capability of slabing bark to bark on a log over 23" diameter.

Ironwood

Sparty, Sorry, you don't know me, I say this while smiling. Everyone has their way of doing things, no offense intended, just poking alittle.

Nice boards for sure.

Ironwood

Sparty

No problem ironwood.  I spent a lot of time with my sawyer explaining how I wanted as much sapwood as possible in the boards, and as many bark to bark planks as possible.  I spend a lot of extra time and money trying to get all I can from a tree...and then I heard someone claim that I throw away all the sapwood....the hairs raised up on my neck a little.  I was just being a little too defensive I guess.

thecfarm

Nice wood,nice pictures.   8)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TexasTimbers

Hey Dubya. I should have put a disclaimer with it. I post alot of pictures of the stuff my customers make and rarely post a pic I know nothing about. This is one of those times. I had it in one of my walnut folders but don't know where it came from. It is a nice one though, and serves as a good example of how incorporating the sap in a piece works well.

Sparty I hope I didn't come across as raggin on ya. Those boards don't lack anything in character. Anyone would be satisfied with those beauties!
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!