iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Battery on old LT30

Started by Engineer, March 26, 2008, 10:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

The steel battery box on my old (1985) WM LT30 is rusted out.  The battery for this thing is unusual, hard to find, seems like it could be easily replaced with a much smaller battery.  Is there anything specific to this monster battery that couldn't be done with something much smaller?  As far as I can tell, the battery starts the engine and also runs the up/down motion and forward/backward motion of the head.  I'd like to have a much smaller box welded up, maybe to hold something like a deep-cycle or high-capacity motorcycle battery.  My brother rides a Honda VTX1800 and he says he needs almost as much amperage to start that monster as most cars.  All I'm trying to do is fire up a 14-horse Kohler.

musikwerke

My 1987 LT30 has the long/narrow battery.  I didn't have any trouble getting a new one from the local auto parts dealer.  If you change to a conventional automotive battery you'll have to find a new location for your battery box as I don't think it will fit between the main beam and the fender bracket.
John

Jeff

I had to get a battery for mine when I first got it. I figured that battery to be hard to find as well,  but it wasn't. They had em up town, in stock, at both parts places.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

trapper

last summer when i bought my 87 LT30 i bought a reconditioned battery at the local battery shop.They are used on many older farm tractors
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Dave Shepard

What dimension are the batteries? About 4" wide and 20" long? All our bigger IH tractors use those. Haven't had any trouble getting them. Salem Tractor would have those, I don't think that too far from you.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DouginUtah

If I recall correctly it is an "ET3" battery.

Jeff,

Maybe I am forgetting something, but the battery on my/your mill was almost brand new. I can't understand why you had to replace it.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Jeff

Dont know Doug, but it had dead cell in it and wouldnt hold a charge. I had to replace it the first month. We took it down to the bus garage and put it on the battery tester there and it was toast.

beenthere

Quote from: trapper on March 26, 2008, 10:09:09 PM
last summer when i bought my 87 LT30 i bought a reconditioned battery at the local battery shop.They are used on many older farm tractors

Have not heard of reconditioned batteries....??  what do they do to one to recondition it??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ladylake

I've never had any luck with those long skinny batterys, had them in my M5 Moline and they would only last a year or two.  Then switched over to truck batterys (group 31) that have been in there 7 or 8 years now and still work good.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

trapper

Have not heard of reconditioned batteries....??  what do they do to one to recondition it??
dont know but northern battery by me doses it. Have had good luck with the 6 volt for my trafctor
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Jeff

beenthere

Anyone have an idea what the "China reconditioning chemicals" consist of?

A good video for checking out a battery for a bad cell.....thanks
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Engineer

OK the consensus is that the long skinny battery for the LT30 is not that hard to find.  I bought mine when I first bought the mill, so it's been on the mill for five years.  Seemed like it was a special order or something, when I bought it. This year it's dead, although when I checked it the fluid level in each cell was way down.  I filled it with some water and it's been on a trickle charge for a couple days.  It may not be salvageable.

But I still need a new battery box.  Probably easiest to just take the old one off and weld up a new one, no?  I doubt that WM sells new battery boxes for that machine.

trapper

Jeff your battery reconditioning link does not come up on my computor.  What do I need to do?

Jeff

Its a youtube link.  If it doesn't work for you, I don't really know other then you may have scripting disabled on your computer.

trapper

found the problem.  youtube not allowed at work.  came up at home. sorry for the problem for you

musikwerke

I just checked the on-line parts selector for my 1987 LT30 and it shows that the battery box assembly is no longer available.  However, it does show a separate part number for the box and another for the cover and it appears that those are available.  From my  experience using the parts selector, I doubt that they are.   But it may not matter anyway as the price is/was $274.00. 
John

Engineer

$274.   :(  'Nuff said.

Time to fabricate.

Thank You Sponsors!