iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rewards of Sawing

Started by Oregon_Sawyer, October 05, 2003, 11:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oregon_Sawyer

Here is a weekly update on my house.  The picture tells it all.

Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Oregon_Sawyer

I finally got all of the cants cut so we can finish the house.

The first logs I cut were milled the last week of June in Sisters Oregon by Wood Dynamics. The temperture was near 100.  Here is a picture of the last load going to Wood Dynamics the first week of Nov.

It took three hours to haul them there.  Got there at 10:30, at 10:45 first log went into the molder, at 11:45 we were done.  Loaded them, showed Bob the owner of Wood Dynamics this web site (had to show him how to turn on his computer  :o), ate lunch and 3 hours later we were home.  My contractor used the first one this morning before noon.
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Oregon_Sawyer

I have used all of the logs now.  I had enough this time 8) 8) 8) The builder used a few more than he was going to just because I had them.  
I don't have a good picture of the logs up as he has to cover them with wrap to try to keep the rain off since we didn't get the house closed in soon enough.
This week the post and beam truss's were cut and assembled.  Here is a picture of them.  The builder already had some wrap on them before we got the pictures.

These go in the great room and are made of Douglas Fir.  The great room is going to be 22 ft high.

Loren

Oregon_Sawyer

The saga continue's: ;D

On Friday morning we are scheduled to put up the trusses and purlins.  These were cut out of Douglas Fir in July.  I bought some logs from a local friend.  High quality trees.  These were less than 24" DBH and 60 to 80 years old.
They only tapered 1 inch in 20 ft with 4 and 5 logs per tree.  I cut them oversize in June and let them air dry outside for a month and then moved them inside until last week.  Then we resawed them to size.

Here is what we found Fri morning:

There was about 2 inches of snow and the Boom truck was supposed to show up at 12:00.  We left and wrapped, loaded and hauled the perlins to the job.  We got there at 11:00.  The builder was in a panick and the boom truck had been there for an hour.  He did not know there was snow and would have cancelled if he did.

The next pictures are just different shots that day and the next.

Loren

Frank_Pender

Looks great, Loren.  I was going to come out tody, but ZI had the inside mill ready to remove and got it done.  It is now ready for  Paul to send a lowboy down from Pemberton and pick it up.  All the driver had to do is make the big loop, back up about 80 feet and I will set the mill on and away they go, trailer and all.   8)
Frank Pender

Stump Jumper

i like them truses   8) 8) the whole house to  8) 8)
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Stephen_Wiley

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

LSUNo1

Impressive! I sold my sawmill a few weeks ago to a fella that planned to use it in constructing a log home. I referred him to this site and specifically to this thread. Keep the photos coming.

dan-l-b

Keep the pics coming Loren.  This thread is really enjoyable 8) 8) 8) Those are great looking trusses

JimY

Did you have to get an engineer involved with the use of the steel plates and bolts on the trusses?  Or, are you lucky enough to be in a code free zone?
   I like timberframing but I also like the speed and flexibility of using other connectors.
   Thanks and I hope everything continues to go well.
Jim

Oregon_Sawyer

Jim:

Code free zone?  You got to be kidding.  Oregon is one of the most restricted states to build in.

The house had to be engineered because it is 1. a daylight basement. 2. its a log home.

Those two trusses required 6 pages of documentation in the engineering papers. (15 pages)  The bolt pattern, size of holes, steel size were all specified.

When we were first checking into building a log home we found that most log home packages would not even meet code in Oregon.  Each county can have their own rules and some are worse than where I am building.

The inspectors have been great and we have not had any problems with them.

Loren

Oregon_Sawyer

Overdue for new pictures:

So much goes so slow that there is not much to show. But now there is some change.  These are from Dec.

This VG fir, random width, in the ceiling of the Great Room.  This lumber came  from logs that  were shown earlier as quartered by "Rosie"

This is me supervising the electrician hiding some junction boxes.

Detail of covered porch above entry doors.  

Loren

Oregon_Sawyer

January Pictures

The Kitchen Gable End.  Log Siding to match the logs.

Typical weather for Oregon in Jan.  Roofing in the Rain

We got some more snow.  Front view with Jet the dog.

Great room has a Prow with a special roof line (that doesn't show in the picture)

Window installed Monday,  Power to house on Tuesday, Garage Doors on Wednesday, Plumbing on Thursday.  Outside trim tomorrow.

NOT MUCH TIME FOR SAWMILLING :'( :'(

Loren

Norm

Very nice Loren. 8)

Thanks for the update.

OneWithWood

A beautiful job on a beautiful site !
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

shopteacher

Loren, how long do ou figure before moving in?  Beautiful work, beautiful home.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Stephen_Wiley

Loren,

Sometimes the small very important work is harder to show.

Don't forget to include the 360 deg. gun turret.........got to protect your family from those wild elk and deer roaming about !   :D

Stephen_Wiley

Loren,

Maybe we should combine a "Pacific division of Forestry Forum" members get together, along with a house warming this Spring at your place  ??? ;D

D._Frederick

Loren,

Did you put a metal roof on I hope?

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Fla._Deadheader

That is becoming one beautiful house. Nice job. 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Frank_Pender

I think you right on Stephen with the idea of a gathering there this summer of forum members from the West Coast Pacific Division.  I am very sure Julia would love to have a herd of Forum member drop in on her and her  new house.  She just love having strangers drop in through her locked, gated road. :D
I am very sure ZLoren would become very poplular in a home dominated by 4 women and two men.
Frank Pender

Stephen_Wiley

Frank,  I kinda of figured I would get that for a response......I was waiting to see if Loren would give directions to "Camp 18" for everyone to meet at!   :D :D

Oregon_Sawyer

Thanks every one for the complements.  This is a dream come true.  Just today I stepped back and looked at the house and find it hard to believe that it is going to be my home.  I will continue to update you as it goes along.

Shopteacher:  We have to have a final on the house by August.  I hope it doesn't take that long although the payment is going to be scary.

Don: We built a shop first that has siding that matches the house.  We put a green metal roof on it.  After looking at it for several years Julia decided we would put 30yr architectural composition roof on.

Stephen & Frank:  I would be happy to have a get together at my place. ( You have to get it by my wife though)  Just remember Julia packs a 45 in here car. 8) 8) Stephen,  Are you going to bring the pig.  I am sure that Frank will dig the pit. ;D

Loren

Thank You Sponsors!