iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My "new" circle mill ....

Started by TexasTimbers, August 08, 2005, 04:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

Well, it's new to me. I'm still moving it. This first pic is from one side of the controls - the mill can be operated from either side of the blade ....

This is a shot of the 4 bunk 5 roller carriage with electric/hydralic dogs and clamps

I don't know what this is for sure but my uneducated guess says a 4-sided planer ....

Part of the mandrel ....

I have alot of pics but these are randon ones. There is also an edger and lots of other goodies with the mill. I can't wait to get it all moved and up and running. Next year no doubt. Now I have two circle mills and niether one has cut a lick .... er, .... stick of wood yet  :D

P.S. I think I have finally got a hang of this picture thingy. xat.com sure does help matters. Only drawback is now da Boss won't get to here me whine about it ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

woodbeard

Wow :o That' pretty cool! I am guessing you can saw a pretty long log with a 4 bunk carriage?

BBK

Its sure nice to see someone working with a circle mill. An older mill has a lot of character. Mine is a 1936 model American #1 grandad bought new. It has been moved and rebuilt several times over 3 generations. I wish you the best of luck and much fun. Let us know when you run your first log through it.
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

Buzz-sawyer

I just visited Menominee Saw shop........All you guys NEVER SAW so many roundish sawz!!!
I Love the old mill ya got now gwt on a spininnin and youll have a load of fun ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

woodhaven

kevjay,
First thing to do is through away that can of WD-40.
Looks like you really got something nice there.
Richard

TexasTimbers

Yah, the WD 40 was to coax the sawnut off a little easier, but turns out it came off with little effort, probably a combination of the WD40 and the "tapping" of the very large homemade sawnut wrench with the 7 lb. maul.
All the handles, dials, switches, levers, hydraulics etc. move very freely.
I was also suprised and delighted to discover all the electric components and clamps etc. work great.
I haven't fired up the diesel yet but I have faith that with a little TLC it'll fire right off too.  8)

Sawyerfortyish

Take lots of pictures before you take it apart. You may need them to jog your memory to put it back togeather. Thats what I did on my first mill. Boy am I glad I did that.

Shamus

Am I a little too hammered, or does that mill look entirely bent? Maybe I need a stronger prescription...
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

Corley5

I like it 8) 8) 8) 8)  What's it got for an engine ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

Shamus
I think the pictures (some of them) were taken through a lens that was 'wide angle' giving it a 'fish eye' look. I may be wrong, but I suspect that is what you are seeing. Don't change your prescription too quick.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

UNCLEBUCK

That is very nice ! You got alot of neat things on there and looks like ready to go when you get it home . Can you tell more about the sawdust blower like pulley sizes and speed and what powers it . Maybe more pics of the powerplant too and how its hooked up ?  ;D  please  ???
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

TexasTimbers

Okay then here some more pics of the mill. beenthere you is keyrect ... the fisheye lens is making it look crooked. I ran a string she's straight as an  arrow flys.

Here's a front view of the Detroit Diesel

A wider angle view

Side view

One of the hydraulic log rollers that carrys the log to the carriage

Another view ...

Self explanatory

Unclebuck I haven't measured pulley sizes and stuff, and there are two blowers on the mill. There is also a cabinet full (several hundred!) of new-in-the-box sealed bearings, pillow blocks, the other kind (I cant think of what they are called), and several dozen pulleys (some new some not) of various sizes etc., hydraulic fittings & hoses, and three other large saws that I have yet to measure and don't know how to tell if they are okay anyway?

I also am getting lots of steel sawhorses and several thousands of pounds  of flat steel stock of 1/2" up to 2" of varying widths and lengths.

I am also still uncovering items that are buried by tin and debris that are being recoverd just in time to be salvaged- I'll post pics of the stuff I that I don't know what it is. Amazingly, I haven't found a single part that doesn't move - IOW that is rusted to the point of locked-up, after ten years of non-use! Still, I need a case of that Rust Reaper stuff if it is good to spray on rusty parts. I also need about 10 Gallons of Rust Prime (a green chemical) I forget who makes it but it's pretty amazing stuff, chemically does something to the rust like you wouldn't believe .... I use it on docks etc.

Hope I didn't get carried away posting too many pictures ::)

P.S. Sawyer, my wife (who did a fantastic job!) took nearly 200 pictures so I think we'll have enough ...

Fla._Deadheader

Don't believe ya posted quite ENUFF pics.  ;D ;D  Tell the Mrs., good job.  ;) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Rockn H

Well DanG, I'd like to see a pic of the cabinet full of bearings and that stuff your finding under the tin.  Going through stuff like that makes me feel like a kid on christmas morning. :D :D

TexasTimbers

Rock I don't have pics of that stuff yet but I'll be making another trip later this week or the weekend and I'm sure my wife will be glad to accomodate using her new digicam :)

UNCLEBUCK

UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

TexasTimbers

A Sony DSC-H1 CyberShot. I love it. User friendly and that's important to us AADD types :D
Hey are you going to Costa Rica?!?!

Fla._Deadheader

YUP, that's why I need a small cheaper camera. Can't outrun Fred if I'm packin a heavy Floppy camera ;D ;D :D :D.

What kinda price on that camera ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

TexasTimbers

I did this deal - http://bestpricecameras.com/251376-215656-1-Sony-DSC-H1-KIT-#-4.html
I paid 799.99 so you can get it $50 cheaper ... of course if you invite me and the missus to CR sometime we could take care of your photo needs in exchange for room and board while we work cheap too :D

And oh yeah, where it says "no accessories available" don't pay no mind to that, it comes with all the stuff it says it does.

mometal77

Looks like a nice mill.  And i thought my mill was a pain to pull out and move.  Looks like you need a boom truck or a bachoe with a front mounted arm.  Lot of tinkering.
bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Thank You Sponsors!