iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fluted (breeze) sticks

Started by oakiemac, December 06, 2003, 05:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

Anyone use the fluted sticks. These are cut with grooves in them to minimize board contact. I was talking with a guy that has been in the hardwood buisness 20 years and he says they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Just interested in comments on them. I believe the cost are $.4 for 4 footers and $.9 for 8 footers.
Oakie
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

edsaws

oakiemac
 i saw a hole pallet of grooved boards at the lumber store today and didn't have a clue as to what they were. so i asked'm what they were and was told they were stickers.said they coulndn't makem fast enough. i didn't ask how much he was chargin' though, next time i'm in there i'll have to find out.

Geoff

We only dry wood on them.  They're great.  Expensive, but a great invention.  We can put up Hard Maple in a hot day in July and not worry about stain or shadow.

Geoff

WoodChucker

If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

I checked with the company on their "Breeze Dried" sticks by e-mail.  No response.    My question to them was about resellers, handling smaller quantities.  Maybe that was the wrong question? ???

Since I cut a good bit of the white oak group in 4/4, and thick slabs in other species, having these would help me.  These items all require a long, slow dry.   In addition,  I am relying on long air-drying periods with high humidity a good deal of the time. (Yep, it gets hot and sticky in Georgia, sometimes even in December.  I got a little hot today.  Sorry 'bout that Canada.)
 8)
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

ronwood

Phil L

I sent a request for info and have not heard from them either. Not sure what is going on.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

WoodChucker

Yep, same here. I sent them an email 2 days ago and still not a reply. Not a great way of doing business.
R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Kirk_Allen

Add my name to the list of no response as well.   I emailed them several days ago and still no response. ???

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

I just sent an e-mail of the link to this page, to stir 'em up.

I titled it, simply:
 THIS SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING!

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

oakiemac

I called them on the phone and talked with a real nice guy. We a good discussion and he gave me directions on how to get to their mill. They are made in Canada about 2 hours east of Port Huron, Michigan. For me it is about a 5 hour drive. I'm planning on taking a road trip to pick up a load shortly. I don't have the phone # handy, but if anyone is interested I can post it tomorrow.
It is going to be a shame to go to Canada without a fishin' pole in hand. ;D

Oakie
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

OneWithWood

Sorry I am late to this thread.  Had to be in Miami for a week on business. No, it was cool and rainy the whole time I was there ::)

Anyhew, I too have talked with the folks at Breeze Dried.  They were very patient and pleasant to talk to.  I got the impression they usually sell in truck load quatities.  The gentleman I talked with gave me the name and phone number of a mill not to far from me that buys the sticks by the truck load.  I will be looking them up to see if I can buy a small quantity ( 500 or so ) from them to try out.  As a bonus I will be meeting some sawyers I have never met :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ronwood

OneWithWood,

Do you have any idea of the cost in quantities of 500 or more?

Thanks
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Well then, if they won't respond, either to inquiries on direct purchase, nor to inquiries on where to buy from re-sellers,...
let's consider another option:

Come up with a product, different in design and production, which will do the same thing, then make 'em.  

We know there is a demand.
Phil L.
                P.S.   I have a design in mind. ;D

ScottAR

Just an Idea...  Take some 1/2" CD ply and rip it into
1 1/2" strips.  Cut a 3/4" dado down the middle.  Shouldn't take too long...     A truck load of lath would be a lot of lath!!
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Den Socling

A company that I work with in NY had a problem with Breeze Dried's lawyers. The mill owner's son told me that they threatened to sue because the mill was making their own look-a-like sticks. The mill won the suit by proving that they had been making their own look-a-like sticks for years. Something to think about.

OneWithWood

Ron,

The price was 40cents fora 4 foot stick, pretty much regardless of quantity.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

longhorn

If you want to find out more about Breeze Dried sticks go to this website instead of the one listed earlier in the forum which I think is an agent for Breeze Dried..  This is the original company, you should have a better time getting a response.    Cheers!

www.breezedried.com

oldschoolmiller

Most of the commercial hardwood industry has switched over to them, they almost eliminate sticker stain, and increase speed of drying by increasing air flow over the surface of the board. They are more expensive, but well worth it, you should lose very little to stain, Plus they are generally made of maple, so they will last a long time. We all know how long the old square pine sticks used to last  :'(

I remeber when I first started working in the industry for a local mill, cheap is the best word to describe them, they used to force us to use everything down to a 1 foot long sticker when sticking on the green chain stacker. Sometimes we would have to set half a dozen sticks just to make one row  :o

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Juss goze to show ya':

Sooner or later the Forestry Forum figgurs thangs out!   ;)

After seeing the legal notice on the REAL breezedried site, it appears that
the other company I never heard from two years ago was probably a patent violator.

Phil L.   8)

oldschoolmiller

Patent violation?

The Mills around here have been making their own for a while ::)

Matter of fact i set up a old green monster planer with specially growned knives for that very purpose, we used to manufacture them out of 1 common, then rip them down to an inch wide or so.

Call me a rebel  :D

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

SYOUNG

Greetings All,

I live close to Townsend Lumber here in Ontario.  Townsend is the original producer and holds all patent rights to the Breeze Dried sticks.  If you are interested in purchasing sticks, but not in truck load quantities phone Randy Sage @ Townsend- 519-842-7870.  Randy will be more than happy to help you out.  We have been using these sticks for years and they are well worth the price.  Don't be afraid to tell him that Steve Young told you to call him.  I hope this helps.

Regards,
Steve

Thank You Sponsors!