iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another I.D. job: Solved: Red Elder Berry

Started by Jeff, July 22, 2002, 07:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I don't know what these are either yet. Similar to elderberry but not.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

That looks a little like the Vibernum Cassanoides that I asked about awhile back.  Do you reckon it might be a Vibernum?  Vibernums are pretty common.

CHARLIE

Could that be Bittersweet?
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bro. Noble

It's not what we call bittersweet.  Our bittersweet has dry fruit,  it's husk splits open in the fall and is orange and yellow.  It is more viney.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bro. Noble

We have a plant called Buckbrush that is sometimes called Ozark Coralberry (mostly by relators).  It is short ( 2-3ft) and woody.  The red berries are in real tight  clusters and are not juicy.  Buckbrush is a real pest especially in fencerows, and is hard to get rid of.

Noble

Jeff

This bush, as near as I can tell, was about 6 to 8 feet tall and 8 to 10 feet wide. ( it was growing on the inside of a large drainage ditch bank.) Does that help any?

Tom

Yeah.... looks more and more like a Vibernum.

Did you look at the Cassinoides thread?
https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=tree_id;action=display;num=993865850

Jeff

It don't look the same to me Tom.

Here is a link to a big version of the picture. You can now see the leave construction. and branching patterns

https://forestryforum.com/images/idpic.jpg

Jeff

CHARLIE

I was visiting bgautsch, one of our forum members and the Treasurer for our woodturning club, last Wednesday. I noticed they had a small tree outside their home that looks very similar to your picture.  I asked what kind of tree it was and Bill's wife told me it was European Ash. She went out and broke off a sample branch for me. Of course it's dried up for winter, but I think you can still make comparisons OK. Another side note, Bill showed me his Hickory flooring. It is absolutely beautiful with both heart and sap wood. It really makes a statement for the beauty of wood.

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

We have Mountain Ash that look similar to your picture but more orange. They are hard.

No, they are not related to this I.D. This bush had berries like elderberry. I am almost convinced that it is some sort of variation of elderberry. The Berries all drop off when ripe or the first hard rain when near ripe. They don't dry or grow hard.

north_bugtussel

Ayah! It looks like Mountain Ash to me. ;)
Life is full of changes..the secret to life...is to out-live the situation at hand. VB

Noble_Ma

Jefff, what does the branchs look like?  Is it fiberous and rough?  It looks like this bush I just cut out.  Every time I mower the grass around the bush, the berries would smush all over my hands.  Hence the bush is gone :D  Oh the name?? No clue but the wife is looking in one of her books.

ADfields

This is what thay call elderberry in Alaska.

This is just out my bathroom window and is about 6 foot tall 15 foot long and 4 foot deep/thick.   It looks just like what you have there and thay make the wine with it as well.   The berries stare out hard but thay get soft with age but not real soft the juce is biter sweet, not somthing you would want on icecreem.   I have been unable to find them in a book with a proper name, thay show as elderberry bush in some of my Alaska books but thats the onley name thay give.   In the spring it is just the best smelling great big flower covered bush you ever saw!   Gets all bloomed out like Oleanders do down south.
Andy

Jeff

We have elderberries here. I have made and drank my share of wine from them. These berries do not turn dark like elderberries they stay that bright red till they drop off. They are juicy as all get out too. I never saw any birds around them so I never got the courage up to taste one.

ADfields

Yup birds dont touch them.   Thay are very juicy.   Thay like the ground good and wet and ther head in the shade, of corse thats just how Alaska is so that could be diferant down south.   I have seen true elderberries at my inlaws house in Ohio and this is not the quite the same, never tasted the ones down ther so I cant say if ther alike on that. ???   I would like to know the proper name for it. :P
Andy

Jeff

Sure looks and sounds like the same thing. Here we are back to square one.  :D

Noble_Ma

Jeff that sure sounds like the stuff I just cut out.  The wife is still looking for what it's called. The only slight difference I see from your picture is that ours had smaller leaves.  

Bro. Noble

I've seen a plant that looks kinda like that around here in people's yards.  Seems like it just grows in a few places but where it grows it spreads like crazy.  Do the plants you guys are talking about spread?

Noble

Jeff

I have only noticed lone bushes in a few places near the cabin. All are on steep ditch banks that usually hold water.

L. Wakefield

I'm almost certain that there is more than one type of elderberry. The black type is Sambucus niger(?) As I type this I am going to try to branch off  :D :D and check if there are others of the same genus. I think I've seen the type you show.

Ok- checking dogpile as a search engine and entering 'Sambucus' is mildly enlightening. They mention red and black elderberries (actually about 20 species). The predominant nomencalture is S. canadensis is S niger or S nigra aka 'sweet elderberry'. S racemosa or S pubens (OR S. racemosa ssp pubens) is the red. Not called sweet and so probably is not.

Then, btw there was the 'drink and die' cocktail recipe which was on down near the bottom of the page (you know, where the match confidence is a little- er- LESS...

This is where you take Sambuca (no, I don't know what it is but it's probably a sweet cordial-like drink), pour into a glass, add tequila, then last add a little bit of Tabasco. The Tabasco is said to make a thin line between the 2 layers of other material, and they characterize it as a 'really HOT drink'...

I WOULDN'T know.. :o :o :o :-X   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

ADfields

Noble, thay seem to grow in one hedge and no others in sight.   It's hard to see them hear when not in blume and you dont know where to look so I will look for more this spring and see how thick thay are around hear.
Andy

Jeff

Tom sent me a message with this link. I am sure this is it!

Check out Red Elderberry

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/map/mi.htm

If ya'll concur we will mark this puppy solved!

Bro. Noble

Chalk one up for Tom and DonT forget LW.

Noble

Thank You Sponsors!