Sponsors:

Women and Chainsaw's

Started by mrselfreliance, October 15, 2017, 02:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

Quote from: ladylake on October 21, 2017, 06:07:30 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz_GvM5IdTU

Not a lot of difference, the smaller 2 were muff modded.  Steve
Lot's of effort put into making those videos, but in all fairness all 3 saws should share the same chain.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

PNWRusty

Good point. Not only should the chains be the same but comparing a 14" bar to 20" bars? Ya think an extra foot of bar friction might slow you down a bit? I also noticed the 261 started 4-stroking at a very low rpm when he revved it up. Sounded way too rich. And it dropped rpm's way too easily when loaded. Very on/off again performance. Something not right.

Everyone likes a good test but if the tester is trying to prove a point, not so meaningful.

ladylake

I run 40cc saws here a lot as they cut faster the lower level 50cc saws and close to the pro ones, same as the vid above and the ones I run weigh 13# ready to cut vs over 15# for a 50 cc saw. I'd think these saws should run the chain the come with as that's the way most will end up running.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

PNWRusty

Quote from: ladylake on October 21, 2017, 04:40:37 PM

I run 40cc saws here a lot as they cut faster the lower level 50cc saws and close to the pro ones, same as the vid above and the ones I run weigh 13# ready to cut vs over 15# for a 50 cc saw. I'd think these saws should run the chain the come with as that's the way most will end up running.  Steve

You can buy them with different bars and I switch bars/chains depending upon the task. Just weighed my 50cc MS 026 with gas, oil, 20" Rollomatic bar and chain and it was 14.7 lbs. (not over 15 lbs). That's covered with tree sap, bar oil, wood chips in all the crevices. If I put my 16" bar on it would be quite a bit lighter. And, yes, you could buy them with 16" bars, mine came with an 18". I like using the smallest tool for the job. I also like not having lots of saws to maintain.

If you stick with the same class of saw (pro or consumer) you will notice there is a pretty predictable increase in power and weight as you go from 40cc to 50cc to 60cc, etc. And you will see cutting speed and weight increase with additional power. But yes, a 40cc pro saw is going to have more power and less weight than a 40cc consumer saw. And sure, I would choose a 40cc pro saw over a 50cc homeowner saw. But, for the slight weight savings, I would find the 40cc less versatile than a 50cc pro saw. For others it might be the perfect compromise.

I don't like the idea of talking about a chainsaw for "women". Just like men, women come in all sizes and strengths. The stronger ones are A LOT stronger than your average guy who's mostly a couch potato.

DelawhereJoe

Don't forget about the Makita/Dolmar ea4300 43cc it runs 3hp, .1hp more then my old 024. It should be a good cutting saw and for $329.00 from homedepot it would be a great deal too.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

ladylake

A lot of the 40cc saws come with a 3/8 nk chain which really cut good as in the vid above.  A 026 is no powerhouse for 50 cc but they are one of the lightest 50cc saws, most new 50cc saws have gained weight plus even 13# vs 14.7 is a lot of weight difference when one is getting older.  I'd bet my 40cc saw would cut really close to a 026.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

PNWRusty

Quote from: ladylake on October 21, 2017, 07:46:15 PM
I'd bet my 40cc saw would cut really close to a 026.  Steve

It depends on what "really close" means to you. I'd put $1000 that it couldn't match it. Close, yeah, perhaps, it's only down less than 10 cc's. That's like me saying "I bet if we weighed them with the same sized bar they would weigh really close".  :)

ladylake

Really close is like the vid above.    Steve

Thank You Sponsors!