iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Missing Holiday Traditions

Started by Ljohnsaw, December 25, 2016, 03:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

When I was little (less than 10), it was the whole gang of us at home.  My mom (German and Scottish) and dad (Polish) as well as my two brothers and four sisters.  I am the youngest.  I remember that my dad would only cook on the grill in the summer.  That is, he cooked the hamburgers, hot dogs or chicken but my mom prepared it.  However, sometime before Thanksgiving, he would go with my mom to the grocery store and they would pick up a ton of pork.

I don't remember there ever being a recipe to consult.  Dad would get out the meat grinder and we would take turns grinding up the pork and pork fat.  Easy work when you have a load of free child labor. :D  He would mix it up in a big bowl and add a bunch of different spices.  Then we would stuff intestines to make the sausage.  I don't remember exactly, but I think it sat in the fridge for a little while to blend and then it most of it was frozen.  At Thanksgiving and Christmas, we would have the traditional turkey or ham, but there was always the Polish sausage.  Sometimes it would come out a little dry (not enough fat), but always was great tasting!  We would usually have his brother and his family come up from San Diego area and his mom would take the train out from Chicago for Thanksgiving and we would have a huge crowd for dinner.  Of course, the youngest (me, one brother and my cousins) would have to sit at the "kids table". ;)

We moved from Southern California to Southern New York when I was 11.  We never made the sausage there - not sure why.  My dad passed away when I was 23 and I haven't had a sausage that tasted anything like what he made.  Sadly, I think the "recipe" went with him.

So I have our family tradition going - though I'm more into sweets :)  I have my "world famous" (as my son says) Mashed Potatoes.  But the favorite is apple pie and cream cheese cookies.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

coxy

do the cream cheese cookies tast like cheese cake if so does anyone have a recipe

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: coxy on December 27, 2016, 11:54:55 AM
do the cream cheese cookies taste like cheese cake if so does anyone have a recipe

Mildly.  They are very addictive!  I have the recipe but I alter it a little so it is a little cheesier.  You use a Mirro cookie press to make them.  You can find them at any Thrift Store.

Cream Cheese Cookies

Makes 7 dozen cookies (more like 6)
1 package 3 oz. Cream Cheese (DON'T use low fat - doesn't taste nearly as good)
1 cup Margerine (Butter is WAY better)
1 cup Sugar
1 Egg Yolk
1 tsp Vanilla
2-2½ cups Flour

Beat cheese, butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until light and fluffy.
Mix in flour (need a heavy duty mixer or you will burn up a hand mixer - don't ask me how I know...)
Bake 8-10 mins @ 375

So, I make a double recipe.  I use an 8oz package of cream cheese and I just use 2 whole eggs.  That puts me at about 5½ to 6 cups of flour.  The dough should be a bit soft.  Refrigerate for a couple hours before putting in the press.  If you refrigerate too long, you will have to let it warm up a bit or you will break your press (don't ask me how I know...).  I cook on Air Bake cookie sheets to keep the bottoms from burning.  They need 18-20+ minutes to get them done.  You don't want them to get brown.  The flavor changes drastically from cheese cakey to a traditional cookie.  There is a fine line between under done (will fall apart), just right and over done.  They freeze well if you happen to make that many and the cookie monsters haven't devoured them already.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

coxy

Thank You Sponsors!