iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Colonoscopy

Started by Magicman, July 24, 2012, 02:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

OK, that is a bad word and makes you think of bad things.  The prep is often joked about, I guess because it is better to laugh than to cry.  It certainly is better to laugh at someone else's misery.

I am talking about it because avoiding this misery and failure to have this procedure can have grave consequences.  Polyps can and do develop into colon cancer, which when not detected soon enough can often be fatal.

I have had polyps removed in the past but since no polyps were detected during my last procedure, I had been excused for 5 years.  Well, last week I had several and one was quite large.  They were removed and sent off for testing.  I was uneasy all week waiting for the test results.  Finally, yesterday I got the "all clear" call from the Doctor.  I can only skip one year before my next "misery".

Folks, follow your Doctor's orders and do not avoid having this lifesaving procedure.

This gallon jug of punch carries a PUNCH.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thurlow

Had my first and only one about 5 years ago;  in the doctor's words, "You're clean as a whistle."  Ain't gotta go back for 5 more years.  Prep consisted of a LARGE handful of pills and a much-smaller-than-a gallon amount of liquid;  swmbo'd had to do the gallon thing and I think the pills are easier to handle. 
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

wwsjr

After my dr noticed in my records about 5 yrs ago, I had never had one, she said: YOU ARE GOING NEXT WEEK!!! Glad I did, had cancerous polyps. After 6" incision and 60% (13', I think) of colon removed, cancer gone. Further tests indicated no need for chemo or radiation. No bag required. I had colonscopy at 6 month intervals for 2 years, then 1 yr interval for 2 yrs, now I am on 2 year interval. Frequent procedures does not make the prep any easier. If your dr says you need one, GIT-ER-DONE, it might save your life.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Warbird

At what age should you have your first one?

sandhills

I've promised my wife at 40, not looking forward to it but in the last year and a half I watched to close friends die of colon cancer, one hadn't been to the Dr. since he was in service in Vietnam.  We spent a quite a few evenings with him up to his death, not the way I want to go.  Both guys were mid 60's.

Raider Bill

Quote from: wwsjr on July 24, 2012, 02:52:59 PM
After my dr noticed in my records about 5 yrs ago, I had never had one, she said: YOU ARE GOING NEXT WEEK!!! Glad I did, had cancerous polyps. After 6" incision and 60% (13', I think) of colon removed, cancer gone. Further tests indicated no need for chemo or radiation. No bag required. I had colonscopy at 6 month intervals for 2 years, then 1 yr interval for 2 yrs, now I am on 2 year interval. Frequent procedures does not make the prep any easier. If your dr says you need one, GIT-ER-DONE, it might save your life.

This was me except I had a 14" incision and had to get the bag, treatments  and went through everything related to all that. Not good not good at all. Never gave any of this colonscopy crap a thought until in 98 my Doc said let's do a scope.  I remember waking up from the scope and everyone looking at me weird. Doc said Bill you need a operation PDQ as you have a grapefruit sized mass on one of the major blood supply's to your colon and it doesn't look good. 2 weeks later I woke up from a 5 hour procedure [the first of 2 operations]  half my colon gone and tubes running into or out of every port on my body, cut from groin to rib cage. Trust me Guys it was a ugly year you do not want to go down that road!
They say get scoped at 50 but if your family has a history like mine does get it done younger.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

wwsjr

No history in my family like Bill. I think lots of my friends go for first at 50-55. Some I have talked to are on 5 year interval, with good reports. I had no symptoms, no pain, no problems that indicated that the cancer was there. I get a VA checkup with blood work every 6 months. No indication from these tests. The prep is a pain, but the other possibilites are much worse. When I woke from the scope the doctor said, the surgeon is on the way to talk to you, I knew is was not good.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Woodchuck53

Warbird. 40 is the start time around here. I have had 2 with the next coming up at 60.

Do it and have pc. of mind guys. You want feel a thing.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Raider Bill

Remember there are NO symptoms or pain leading up to colon cancer until it's too late. It's a silent killer. Too many find out too late for help. I've watched a couple guys go through it and believe me it is a awful way to die.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Texas Ranger

Think on the bright side, a good hospital will send you home with cd or dvd that  you can play at house parties to run the guests off.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

I am having one done......tomorrow :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Then your insides are squeaky clean tonight.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan_Shade

how long did it take you to type that message, Danny?  :-)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

thecfarm

Magicman,You had it rough with a gallon jug. Must be all the grits you eat. Us Yankees just get about 16 ozs to clean the ..... out of us. I guess we are not so full of it.  :D  The Dr went both ends with me and met in the middle.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Actually, I could only drink about 2/3 of that jug before I got nauseated and had to stop.  It did not matter because that is some powerful stuff for sure.   :o

Jeff

You should ask them why they are not prescribing the new stuff.  The last one I had, last year, it's only about 16 0unces you have to drink. About 10 years before I had to drink the gallon, and it was a horrible experience, so I was dreading this last time. Nothing to it. You get pills starting the evening before the day before, then the day before you dont eat other than clear liquids, then drink the 16 ounces. Minimal time in the bathroom as well.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

The procedure is miserable to say the least but colon cancer is a whole lot worse. My brother in law had surgery and is now undergoing chemo, fortunately it was caught early and the doctor expects a full recovery.
He is a stubborn cuss, refused to go to a doctor until the mill forced him due to insurance coverage. He is 59, won`t be going back to work.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ron Scott

I've had 7 of them so far and coming due for another one. One of my brother-in-laws died at age 40 from colon cancer.
~Ron

doctorb

Start at age 50, if there's no family history.  Every 8-10 years after that if clear from polyps, more often if not.  I agree with Jeff on the prep.  Drinking that gallon of stuff is old school, IMO.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WDH

There are the pills of course, but I had to mix 238 grams of a powdery stuff in 64 ounces of propel, so that was 1/2 gallon.  Not as bad as before, but still a challenge.

MM,

Yes, I have been in the throes of preparation :).  Scheduled in at 07:30 this morning.

Dan,

Either real fast, or slowly with several time intervals between words  :D :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Previous times I did the ½ gallon.  That Doctor moved away and this was a younger surgeon that has recently moved here and joined the group.  I forgot to tell him that I have a small stomach and can not drink a gallon of anything.

I hope that this thread will spark some concern and motivate anyone that has been avoiding this procedure to realize that it could be literally life saving.

doctorb

I do have one more suggestion.....start your prep around 4pm the day prior to surgery.  No later.  I usually start at 3PM.  It's better to deal with this in the early evening and then get some sleep instead of losing sleep making bathroom "runs".  (sorry, I couldn't resist).
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

I started really drinking a lot of fluids that morning and began the prep at 2:00 PM.  I think that it is a lot better that way and at least I got plenty of sleep.

SwampDonkey

We just had a burial committal about a month ago for dad's cousin who passed away just before Christmas with cancer in his bowels, aged 73. Mother has had it done, dad refuses.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

I agree with others about it not being a pleasant process, but it is very important to have done.  Maybe someone here reading this will be spurred to action and prevent a catastrophic consequence in the future. 

Thank You Sponsors!