iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just a Little Project

Started by DWyatt, February 13, 2019, 07:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWyatt

Made a little safe out of the largest post office box door I have. Approximate size is 12" x 12" x 7". The wood is QS White Oak that dad and I sawed last year. I painted the background of the door a semi-gloss black, I love the contrast :) The one is going to the guy who owns the electrical company where I got all the electrical materials when building my house. Hoping to trade for the last 3 lights I need to finish up the shop 8) Enjoy.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

yes very nice job!  What is the furrow around the middle.

DWyatt

Quote from: samandothers on February 14, 2019, 11:53:26 AM
yes very nice job!  What is the furrow around the middle.
The dark strip in the wood? The board I glued up for the project had a small dark area on the edge and rather than cutting it off, I chose to emphasize it by making the wood "waterfall" around the bank. 

samandothers

Yup that is it!  My bad, I did not look close enough.  ::)
I thought it was a coved area.

AZ_builder

Are those saw marks on the back side? Did you leave them on purpose? I like the look!

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Don P

You're seeing the rays in quartersawn lumber. This is some red oak I was scanning and blowing up this morning to count rings (130 in 4"!). The rays, running radially like the spokes on a wheel, are very big and obvious in oaks, more so in white oak. I've lined off in red about the orientation of the quartersawn board showing how it clips across a ray giving that view you were commenting on.

Rays are the horizontal transportation network in a tree. Notice as you look towards the bark, left side of the pic, as the tree needs another horizontal "road" in the expanding diameter of the tree it throws in a new ray.

AZ_builder

Thanks for the explanation. I've never dealt with oak before.

DWyatt

The other replies are correct, the wood used is quarter sawn white oak. You are seeing the ray flecks in the back. I specifically picked wood with both the most ray fleck and unique grain, as you can see the stripe across the top and the "stripes" of color across the back.

Thank You Sponsors!