iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Barn progress

Started by mrbrb, February 07, 2015, 10:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrb

A few images of a project that Ive been creeping up on for the last couple years.
The three main girts are 15 x 17" x 24' sandwiched by double 8 x 8 posts with a kind of sandwiched half dovetail 10" wide tenon. My brother and I are pictured 'load testing' the first big beam. Feels pretty good, a little vibration when jumping up and down in jubilation, but the 8x8 braces do a good job in keeping it from racking.
A picture of checking a 15 x 17 for squareness. Not bad for a completely maxed out scrap-metal mill and yankee-egyptian technology.

canopy

Thanks for sharing. Why are the knee braces elongated so much?

Hilltop366

mrbrb

more progress...

ESFted

This is gonna be a great barn.  Looks overbuilt....just the way I like 'em smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

tule peak timber

Yes certainly stout looking to say the least ! Very cool.....
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

thecfarm

I like that picture at night.
Stove?? To keep the tools warm or the pegs warm?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishfighter

Nice build. I see the y'all have to prewarm wood just to burn. Way to cold for me. :D

mrbrb

stove for burning scraps. Otherwise the scraps get muddled with the constantly falling snow and make a mess. It is good for keeping hands warm and provides some companionship  :snowball: :snowball:

mrbrb

Brian_Weekley

Looks good.  I see you used the radial arm saw with a dado blade to cut your flooring grooves for the plywood splines.  Did it work out OK?  Just curious because I still have mine to do later this year...
e aho laula

mrbrb

Yes, the RAS worked great. Remember to mark your reference face. That blade is actually a very thick Disston, just over 3/8", solid steel. It was touched up with a file and it rips no problem. I don't have a picture, but we used a couple of roller-conveyors for infeed and out feed-  absolutely necessary. Im sure there is a better alternative to feather boards... I tried some tensioned rollers but had tracking problems. Settled for the feather boards. The boards were rough sawn and dried for a while and then put back on the mill and trued to 6,8,10,and 12". Splines are ext grade 3/8". Groove depth was somewhere between 5/8 and 7/8 depending on how hard each board was run against the fence.

A porta-jack and a heavy bench vise came in handy for sucking the flooring together. Clamp the vise to your joist and put the spreader between it and a couple courses of floorboards. It pushes them together nicely.

Because the boards weren't sawn too accurately thickness wise..  8/4" plus or minus 1/4"... I am going to have to have a planing party. Any ideas on getting it down quickly?

buzywoodliff

I'm no help at all , other than encouragement.... Looks good, that thing's a beast!!

ely

a drum floor sander will do it. nice looking barn, I would move into that. I was getting discouraged with all the snow pics.

5quarter

Well, I guess snow load won't be a concern.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

mrbrb

taking advantage of the nice weather..
added a 10x10 hickory ridge beam and working on some dormers next. Had no access to machines so the ridge was pulled up with a line to its tipping point, tipped onto the deck, positioned, then jacked, cribbed, jacked, scaffolded, etc, into position, and then lowered onto the gable assemblies. 

thechknhwk

Dad2FourWI

WOW!  Beautiful work!!

... I bet you sleep well !!! :D :D :D :D

Keep the pics coming!  :)

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Piston

Wow, that is looking excellent!  I love the massive tie beams.   8)

Nice machine too, I like the 110's.  Did I take the timber framing workshop with you a couple years ago?  I think so.  Your making a lot more progress on your project than I am on mine....

It's nice to see the pics, I wish I came across this earlier when you started it. 
-Matt
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

fishfighter

Super nice. That barn will be around for the next 200+ years.

mrbrb

Quote from: Piston on May 29, 2015, 02:42:43 AM
Wow, that is looking excellent!  I love the massive tie beams.   8)

Nice machine too, I like the 110's.  Did I take the timber framing workshop with you a couple years ago?  I think so.  Your making a lot more progress on your project than I am on mine....

It's nice to see the pics, I wish I came across this earlier when you started it. 
-Matt

matt, thanks, was it at Heartwood?  Probably, I was there with my friend Colin- guy with a huge beard, you'd remember him. I'll head over to your gallery to see what you've got going. All the best, and hope to run into you again!

stanwelch

Beautiful barn.  Keep the pictures coming.  Did you mill the timbers.  What species?
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

chrissheerman

That barn looks great. Way more to that barn than the pole barn i'm building for my saw mill right now. Also I like your tractor I have the same one. awesome rig for doing that kinda of work ive found. 

mrbrb

Here are a few new images showing 'dormer' construction, sheathing, 4" polyiso insulation, 2 man chainsaw for cutting rafter feet, venting, and sheathing again. Small gantry made of pipe staging was invaluable for lifting rafter pairs into place. Basically we had the ridge up and used this gantry to place the valley rafters, then pre assembled rafter pairs and rolled them into place. 

fishfighter

You're doing a supper nice job there.

Thank You Sponsors!