iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pick-up truck bed liners and other ?s

Started by OneWithWood, March 15, 2005, 11:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

I am about to experience something I have never experiened before -  In a couple of weeks I will be taking delivery of a new 2005 F-350  8) 8) 8)
I had to order it new from the factory to get what I wanted.  It is a single cab, single rear axle, automatic trans, shift on the fly 4x4 with the trailer package, tow package, off-road package, XLT trim, A/C and 6cd in dash changer, powerstroke diesel, twin alternators and beefed up suspension.  Dark green with black trim.  I can't wait  :)
While dreaming of taking possession of this fine beast a couple of questions have popped into my head.  What is the real story on bed liners?  Do they really help protect or are they just another place to trap moisture?
What are your preferences for tool boxes?  I have always had the gull wing cross bed units, but never a new one so what would you look for?
What recommendations do you all have for bed-rails or other tie down points?
What is the one accessory on your truck you would not want to be without? 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

jflytle

OWW,

I just got an 05 250 CC, SRW, PSD and went for the spray in bed liner. There are a number of firms that provide this coating, and I find that it holds up really well. The slide in bedliners tend to chaff the paint off the bed when they slip around.

One option can't live without, tub steps to help me get up into the cab. ;D

John
Don't ask me too many questions. I'm just soaking up the brilliance.

Sprucegum

Congratulations! Sounds like a real nice unit. I bought my first new truck last year ( 3/4 ton dodge with a cummins diesel & 6-speed standard)

I tried no liner at all and immediately dented the box just by tossing in firewood. Now I have a sprayed-in rubber liner, brand name Line-ex, and it looks like a brand new truck again. When I toss wood in now it bounces instead of denting but I do use more caution with the tossing. It was about $500 Cdn to do an 8' box.

Paul_H

OWW,
Congrats on the new truck!

We always had steel boxes for our bush trucks and either sold the factory box locally or re-installed the box when we sold the truck.

Rebco Link

The truck I have now has a plastic liner that does protect the box but it is slippery and there is no provision for tie downs.I have seen some nice Aluminum liners with headache racks/tie downs and tool boxes,both wing type and regular chest type.They seem to stand up to abuse fairly well.

My favourite accessories are #1, coffee cup holder and #2, A/C
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

etat

QuoteWhat is the one accessory on your truck you would not want to be without?

jflytle beat me to it. :)  Absolutely wouldn't want to do without em.  :)

I got a plastic bed liner in mine.  I don't know if it'll rust out under it or not but at least it keeps it from getting beat to death.

I put a aftermarket stainless steel grill on mine, (it just bolts to the outside of the other one) and makes it stand out a bit from the rest of em.

I like having a bug shield on it to help keep some of the buggers off of my windshield.  Had a chevy one time with a bug shield and it just directed the bugs and trash to the top of the cab and beat the paint off of it.  Haven't had a problem with the F250, 2000 model.

Gotta tell you though, the four wheel drive with the options you described is what I've got, and I ABSOLUTELY wouldn't want to be without it.  

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

sprucebunny

Unless you are real tall, I'd start looking at side mount toolboxes.

I can't hardly see over the edge of new truck beds .

Shrimpbunny-the 5'6" small/ old truck owner ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Larry

Bought an almost identical truck in 97.  To DanG cheap to spring for a bedliner...got's plenty of scratches but no rust.  Nephew bought a Dredge about the same time and went with one of those spray in liners.  Not a bit slick and has held up well.  Took the gull wing toolbox off my old truck and repainted it to match the new one.  Wish I had bought one of those stainless boxes instead.

Just a thought...I bought a rear bumper, receiver hitch, gooseneck hitch, and few other things from one of those after market truck places.  Had the bill sent to the dealer cause they get wholesale price on that stuff.  Paid the dealer and saved me couple hundred.

The boss is a little vertically challenged....when I first brought the truck home I mentioned getting some steps...she took it the wrong way and said no steps!  She still has to crawl and wrestle to get into the cab. :D ;D :D ;D

Hope ya enjoy that new beast as much as I have.  Best truck I have ever bought...still runs like new.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Stump Jumper

8)  8) ;) :) what gear ratio ya gettin'? I've got the 4.10 and have towed way more than i should have  ::) ::) 33,600 lbs :o :o the truck pulled it nicely longer stoping distence required .Have fun with the new truck .

ps they will smoke tires i had to try it once. ;D
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Dan_Shade

I have Line-X on my '04 F250, I really like it.  I've beat on it pretty good, and it seems to be holding up.

I had an air compressor made from a York A/C compressor on my old '80 GMC, but I'm still trying to figure out how to get it under the hood with the 5.4 that I have.  My mile marker is pretty handy too :)

Gas to Deisel is no comparison, but I have 3.73's in mine, and really wish it had a 4.10 or lower. 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Norm

Wow nice truck Robert! I abuse the heck out of mine and it's still the best truck I've ever owned, the side steps are real nice as they do sit up pretty high. I don't have a bed liner but I think the spray on ones are the way to go if you want extra protection. I remember when I first got mine I tossed something big in and Patty goes "you're going to scratch that bed". Badge of honor for a farmer around here. ;D

fstedy

I have a 1982 Chev K 20 that I restored. Had a Rhino Liner ( sprayed in, lifetime guarantee ) installed 4 years ago its great takes a LOT of ABUSE and keeps on ticking. Good luck with your new truck and get many years of good use out of it.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Bro. Noble

I was remarking to my wife recently that of the many options available on the newer rigs,  one of the few I would pay extra for is an adjustable lower back support.  Our old 84 bronco has one and it feels wonderful on my back while bouncing over rough roads.   I just wish the reverse worked in that DanG thing :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Dana

Congratulations on the new truck! The one accessory I can'tdo without is an eight foot snowplow!
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

raycon

Sidemount locking boxes. Mount a ladder rack to the top of the boxes and a head ache rack in the front.
Its slick on a flatbed. Might be a little tall on your truck. I'll post a picture if I can find one.

Good luck with the truck.
Lot of stuff..

EZ

Bought the plastic bed liner for mine and hated it. Way to slippery, everything that I would throw in it always slid every where. Took it out and was going to get the spray in bed liner and my brother said he didnt like it cause it was slippery to. Bought a rubber bed matt and it works great.
Dont buy the plactic tool boxes, they sage in the middle.  ::)
Nice truck your getting there.
EZ

rebocardo

> What is the real story on bed liners?  Do they really help protect

Both products have their plus and minus.

I know from experience spray in liners are not good when you are dropping large heavy objects into the bed such as firewood, logs, and cinder blocks. I have dented wheel wells that way. If the truck was brand new and I was going to keep it a very long time, I might be tempted to go Line-X spray in and then a regular over the rail bed liner. You can get ones with a rough surface.

If you do not care about looks and have the change, get a walk in bed cap with barn doors! Very nice. Especially if you want to sit down and take a break or change out of muddy clothes etc. Shelves are nice.

> What are your preferences for tool boxes? 

Knapp, the ones that use your own padlock lying on its side set inside the box so bolt cutters can not be used.

> What recommendations do you all have for bed-rails or other tie down points?

Most of the products are for show or light duty. If anything, add some e-track.

> What is the one accessory on your truck you would not want to be without? 

Power steering, I am working on it ... :-D  After that A/C and good mirrors. In a climate that gets snow, I love heated mirrors.

Ironwood

Well, my new truck is still at the Ford garage, F550, 4x4, XL, 4 door (kids)12' cab/chassis, Powerstroke...... I am still looking for the $51,000  I need to buy it!

I spoke to a guy the other day that has 650,000 miles on his powerstroke. Engine has never been out of the thing. The only issue was injectors #3 and #5, as I guess they dont get as much lube? All the tranny and drive line are also original.  :o :o :o

For  my 2 cents, Put heavy 4" x 4"angle around the perimeter of the top of the bed and weld lash points to that. Use torx drive counter sinking bolts to fasten it down to the bed, that way the top remains flush.

Congrats, I will get mine someday( I am still too young to deserve a new truck like that).

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

bitternut

I have a 2002 Chevy 2500HD. I bought the Line-X spray in liner when the truck was brand new. I love it. I got the liner sprayed over the top rails and also the tailgate. I also added a heavy rubber pad from tractor supply that was on sale. I heat with wood and haul all of it with this truck. Box still looks brand new even though I throw a lot of wood into it. Would do the same thing if I were to get another truck. I might add that I also have a Extang cover that keeps the sun off the liner. The sun will fade the liner some what if left exposed but will not degrade it.

The truck you have ordered could probably use some nerf bars for getting in and out. I have had the cheap ones and would never buy them again since I live in the rust belt. I bought the Westin Platinum for this truck and they also look like new after 3 winters on them. The cheap ones would have rotted off by now.

These are the only accessories that I have personal experience with. Your pending truck purchase sounds like a real beauty. My advice is to get the best add-ons that you can. A truck like that deserves them.

sawguy21

Wish I could find change for a truck like that ;D I would not be without a bed liner either. My current truck came with a plastic one but it is a pain. Too Dang slippery. I am going Lin-ex or Rhino. My last truck had a plywood one which rotted out and the  box floor looks grim from the moisture trapped there.
For my use a cab high cap  works great and I cant have a truck without a travel mug holder. Oh and the CD player, my very first  8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Darin

The one accessory  I will never do without is a winch. 4x4 just means that you can get farther from nowhere to get stuck.

Darin

Roxie

OWW.....I am very happy for you, it's a great feeling to get that first ever new truck!  The one option that I really like about the new trucks is the feature that let's you flip those side view mirrors in and then back out to where you had them adjusted.  When you pull up to a drive up window or ATM machine, it makes life so much easier! 
Cowboy Bob's favorite feature is the lumbar support though.   :)
Say when

Minnesota_boy

I think the one accessory I can't do without is a seat, although a steering wheel ranks right up there too.

signed,
The guy who always buys old used trucks.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

ScottAR

I love the Carr brand cab steps on my 350 SRW.  I highly recomend air ride seats too.  Mine are courtesy of the previous owner.  CushionAir If I remember...  They're a little high but I'm sorta short at 5'10" so it works ok. 

Since I'm spending your money, get a winch as your gonna get stuck with that diesel up front, maybe in your front yard.... ask me how I know.... :D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

pep

I have a 2003 GMC Sierra 4 door.  The truck was customized by SVC, and it included a messaging drivers seat.  It has a timer that automatically shuts off after 15 minutes.  Also heated seats are great in winter, as is an auto start.

As far as bed rails , which I don't have, but I've seen a set of Putco's SS that have some heavy duty tie downs.

I'm also a fan of heated mirrors.

Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

sawguy21

4WD and a winch just means you are going an extra 50' before you need to be pulled out  And you will go that 50' because you can 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!