iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

band saw mill project

Started by Vautour, January 13, 2019, 07:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAYAR

I just have a few parts gathered up for the tooth setter at the moment and a sketch started.. I'll have to start a thread on it when I start building it.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

Vautour

Changed my gear box from a 25 to 1 ..to a 40 to 1 ratio and added a second smaller jackshaft with 2 to 1 ratio sprockets ..... I'm at 18 sec for 12 inch of lift with my 2.5hp tread mill motor (had started with 6-7 sec for 12inch of lift but would have burnt my motor quite fast)...next step is to add my garage door spring to help with the weight..Don't have the motor bolted yet..hope i don't have to down gear again :-\
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Darrel

The setup looks good and while it does sound like its a bit slow, I'm guessing that my old LT40 isn't much faster. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

luap

I wouldn't be concerned about the urethane wheels longevity. I have seen rotating urethane coated cylinders outlast steel cylinders in much more demanding environment than your mill will ever experience. there  are also companies that will resurface them but at what cost? As far as your blade guides, make them out of 4140 steel and they can easily be hardened.

Vautour

@Darrel..was putting that out there to see what average speed is normal  tks .@Luap..hoping those urethane wheels hold also..gonna keep those guild wheels till they wear out and then do them again with proper steel..tks
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Vautour

got my bandsaw mill motor...04 TOYOTA YARIS 1.5litre...

Crusarius

I was very tempted to use my saturn motor 1.9 twin cam. I was concerned it would not have enough low end torque. be very curious to know how that turns out.

Vautour

.........@ Crusarius...i would Not worried about low end torque..for example this motor has 50hp at probably 2000 rpm... so i'm gonna run it at about 1500rpm with a 6 inch pulley at the crank...motor is bigger than i had anticipated ..i worked in a scap yard and some car had some way smaller lighter motor..  

Woodpecker52

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Hilltop366

Interesting power source,

Found this:

[th]Torque[/th]
105 ft-lbs. @ 4200 rpm
[th]Base Engine Size[/th]
1.5 L
[th]Horsepower[/th]
108 hp @ 6000 rpm

Vautour

@ Woodpecker ... hmm like the name  "the beast"..might work haha.............. ....@Hilltop366...Interesting power source for sure.. 2 hrs to get the motor out...4 hrs to remove dash and remove complete wiring harness...bench testing gonna be real fun i bet :-\..always liked good challenge..haha

Vautour

... Since there is a log arch topic.. i just finished mine up

RAYAR

Nice log arch. That's a project I'm planning on doing too.
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

Vautour

After several months.. the mill is on the front burner again...just installed a 24volt electric forklift motor (permanent magnet) and a bigger gearbox (ratio180 to1) tried it out yesterday and was finally happy about the speed lifting the head assembly up at about 6sec. per foot...even tho the engine is not installed yet i seemed to have plenty HP for the extra 200 pds 

RAYAR

It's nice to see that your mill build is progressing again.
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

Vautour

... @ RAYRAR..hopefully i'll be making sawdust by next year..got my two barrels of wast oil for heat thumbs-up... next few weeks will be installing the echo engine.

RAYAR

With that waste oil heat, you'll have a warm place to get your mill ready to go. Mine is still set up at the shop in town, not sure if it's going to stay there for the winter or tow it home.
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

Al_Smith

I have to give the OP a hand,very creative ideas to say the least .As the old saying goes ,"one mans junk is another mans treasure " smiley_clapping

JoshNZ

God forbid that saw beam binds somewhere, it doesn't look like that motor and gearbox will be waiting around for it xD

Vautour

...Tks Al Smith.....lotsa good thinker and fabers on here to comment and help anyway they can thumbs-up                                                                                 @JohsNZ.... motor will turn a few turns after the power is off so i'm not to concerned..more concerned if my gearbox chain breaks..i don't have the safety like acme rods...  was doing more test Sat while standing on the head part (180 pds "engine weight") still raising about 7-8 sec per foot..

Al_Smith

Truth be known a lot of us tinkers and puttsers must have came from the same bolt of cloth .I like the challenge  myself . ;)

Al_Smith

If that reduction unit is a worm gear you won't get an overhauling load heavy enough to over ride it .Big heavy link chain takes a lot to break it .
I suppose there's options for a back up dampening  device in case of a failure for safety reasons .Could be long air cylinders with check valves which would act like shock absorbers or a ratchet /pawl device ,inertia brake .You'll figure it out I have no doubt .

Vautour

Finally bench started my echo engine for the bandsaw yesterday..after i get it bolted on with rad exhaust and fuel pump installed can i dissect most of the wiring :-\... a carburated engine would of been so simple 

Crusarius

I was so ready to cannibalize my old saturn SL2 for a new mill. but I felt the added size and weight would not gain me anything in the end.

I dunno. I may still do it on the next version. We will see.

Woodpecker52

My woodmizer cuts anything I want with a 14hp k holer motor.  I use to have a 671 Detroit diesel but would never want it mounted on a band saw head.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Thank You Sponsors!