iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New forum user looking for info on small personal sawmills

Started by tomb, August 03, 2008, 09:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bck

Welcom Tomb,
   I built my saw the same height as my trailer. I put trailer beside saw and only have to roll log 3' and its on the saw. If you click on my profile you can see a picture of my trailer loading a log, I can load a log that weighs a couple thousand pounds by myself without breaking a sweat. I have a #9000 winch on one side of the trailer that rolls log up removable ramps. I then have some 3' uprights I stick into pockets where ramps are, and put ramps in truck. When I get beside saw I put the 3' pieces flat and roll the log on them , no tractor needed.  I cant break any records on the amount sawn though.

Toolman

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Daren

Quote from: Toolman on August 07, 2008, 06:44:27 AM
Bck,

Is that a wooden blade cover on that mill?

I noticed that too...and it looks like wood stakes for stops...I could have used wood ones on the couple occasions I "shortened" mine  ::), sure would have been easier on the band blade  :D
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

bck

Yep its a plywood cover  ;D  I have some angle iron behind it so I'm not worried about blade coming through, If they get tore up I have plenty more to replace it with. Stops are white oak and they have saved me a blade too  :D  again easily replacable.And  its standing on treated  4x4's  ;)
I have around 4000 invested in saw, trailer and 2 1/2 ( soon to be 3 ) kilns  8) 
I cant cut as much as most of you can but can cut logs just as straight  ;)

solidwoods

If you get a mill, you'll need an outlet for selling lumber or lumber products.
You think your lumber is stacked to the ceiling now, wait till you mill 1000bf a day.
If your just milling for products (non flooring) the simplest of mill will be fine.
I'd recommend Kasco IIB elec. feed/blade, manual deck.
Build a kiln.
If you work at home then a wood fired water heater is a good investment.  It can run the kiln, heat the shop, heat the home, and turn off the elec/gas hot water heater.

Or get a hyd mill , kiln, and a 4 sided molder and make flooring/molding/wallboards/hot tubs/etc.  I just saw a Weinig U17 5 head go for $3500.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

den

The EZ BoardWalk manual mill will cut 40" X 16'-6"logs, W/20hp Honda, $6000+.
I think it would take 2 men and a boy to handle that log  ;D
Review in Sawmill&Woodlot, April 2008
Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

Thank You Sponsors!