iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When you screw-up, what do you do?

Started by D._Frederick, September 21, 2003, 05:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

My mill is a cheapy with a scale that I read to set-up the cut, if I make a mistake and set-up wrong, I don't find it sometimes until the blade is 6 inches into the log. What do you do if you are cutting up a cant, do you try to get the blade out of the log or do you screw-up two boards, one thick, one thin? What do you do to get the blade backed out of the cut?

dewwood

I have found the best method for me is to immediately shut the saw off, get a plastic wedge and drive it into the kerf then manually push the head back out of the cut.  This usually will work, if I try to use the power return I usually end up jerking the blade off the wheels and maybe damaging the blade.  I have found it is faster to just do it by hand with less damage to the blade.

I does seem like every time something happens though I am almost through the log and have to back it all of the way out.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

It depends on what I am cutting.

If It is rough construction lumber and I have already got the critical side cut  (ie the 4" side of a 2 x 4), and the error isn't too bad, I just make the cut.  I am reading off of a inch scale and setting the mill manually too so I just begin measuring the next board from the latest cut.  It will change where I measure the board on the true scale and may change how the last board comes out, but, the last board may need to have a trim cut on it anyway to flatten it.

If it is cabinet material and I cut 6/4 instead of 5/4, I save the 6/4 board at the side of mill and trim it when I finish the cant.

If I cut 5/4 instead of 6/4, I give them the board and save the trim cut for later in the cant when I might need it to eliminate a knot or flatten a board or straighten up another mis-cut.  

I try not to mis-measure but may fail if someone talks to me.

Bibbyman

I just try to look like nothing happend and hope no one noticed.  If they do,  I make up some kind of story.  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Larry

D,
The best way is not to make a mistake in the first place.  I had the same problem as you trying to squint through my bifocals at a very confusing mill scale so I made my own scales.  The scale on the left is a typical mill scale.  The wood one is my homemade scale.  The wire goes through a hole in the horseshoe magnet and I center it in the white.  Got homemade scales around here that go from 5/8" up to 2".

If you do make a mistake just put in a wedge or door shim in the kerf and back your band right out if you want to start over.

Tom said something that I can expand on.  I hardly ever make a miscut when sawing by myself but if there are people around I loose my concentration and screw up all the time.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Brian_Bailey

This is what I do when backing a band out of a mis-cut.

Drive a wedge into end of cut to open up the kerf some. I then take a piece of broken band longer than the width of cut and use the teeth to clean out the saw dust in the kerf.  The band will then back out easily.

I then think about ??? what I just did and tell myself not to do that again :D.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Bibbyman

Mary has been working on some big orders during the day. When I come home from the office I take over sawing out some small jobs.  She goes to the house to start supper.  I find I start to make mistakes when I'm really tired.  I've gotten to where I just shut down and quit for the evening.  If  I don't,  everything goes from bad to worse.  :-[
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

RMay

I tell myself its all part of saw milling  ;D grin and go on  :D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Bigdogpc

I use a wedge to open the cut and back out easy.  The scale thing with bifocals is a problem so I tend to squat and look at the scale deadon rather than guestimating...MOST of the time this works.  Occasionaly a OOPS occurs...I always check to see who's watching then figure my next move.  If I'm well into the cut I will probably finish.  If I've just got started, I'll back it out.  Tired or in a hurry gets me every time.

Russ

Have you ever seen a scope for  a hunting bow ? I was wondering how it might work for viewing the scale on a sawmill. I think they have a crosshair too. P.S. you should only have one miss cut board because if its too thick you can cut it again, if its too thin slab the next board.[/url]

pappy

When I screw-up,
wood-- burn it
steel-- bury it

always hide it, then your the only one who realy knows   :D :D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Paul_H

I've screwed up pretty bad this past week.I had an order for 10, nine foot 8x8s.Cut them up and delivered and found out that the order was for 9 ten footers.He needed 9 1/2 lengths,so most made it. It was totally my fault and I had screwed it up in my head some how.(though the list hangs on the mill)

Wednesday I cut two 8x16 x25' beams for another guy.Thursday he came up just as I was finishing another 8x16.He said are you milling up the 10x14? I told him I was milling his 8x16.

He wanted 5, 10x14s for his house and 2, 8x16s for the garage :-X

This wasn't a good thing.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

L. Wakefield

One of the things I liked about Noble's WM is the fact that the sawyer's seat can ride right down the log along with the blade. That means the eyeballs are close enough to double check the setting. I hadn't expected that the first time he went to make a cut. I'd only seen  Mobile dimensions saw or a really big mill type saw with a separate operators booth. The saw blade starts down toward the log and he goes right with it! I was laughing.. I guess this isn't an option with D_Frederick's saw?
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

ARKANSAWYER

Having never made a mis cut I can not help you there.  But I have cut into nails and such that I need to back out of a cut.  I use a wonder bar and pry the slab/board up with it.   It works great and can even split some off if you are close to the end of the log.  If it is a long cut I push it in and turn it sideways and it will really lift the slab up.  I do not saw that there is not a hatchet and wonder bar on top of the hydralic control box in case of nails.
ARKANSAWYER
    I got pictures now.

ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

This also works if a blade breaks and is in the log but do not try to do any thing untill the idle wheel quites spinning.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

AtLast

ARKENSAWYER......NEVER!!!??????....wow...... :o......I am glad to see that it isnt JUST me that has these...." encounters"....also glad to see I handle it the same as most of you....stop blade...wedges....back out...make up some excuse.....and move on......Bibbyman...I bet you can come up with some doozies....maybe you need to list um so we can reffer to them when it happens to the rest of us...was cutting a sugar maple  and was already8" into the log..I had metal detected and KNEW something was in there...but didnt double check and assumed I had cut under it on my first top cut...well...needless to say..I was...ummm...well...wrong....I hit a lag bolt that was 8" into the log and the blade took a MAJOR dive....I played havok trying to get the blade out even after using wedges....suprisingly there was no damage to the blade...but I have hit other stuuffff...that took its toll....just as Solidwoods...he saw the blade..

Percy

Ive never made a miscut either...heh...BUT.. I seem to have  alot of odd thickness boards that dont sell so well ;D ;D
A great help backin out of a cut is after usin all, the above teckneeks is to use a leafblower to get all the sawdust out...Works wonders.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!