iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need advice.

Started by bkellyvtme, January 31, 2011, 11:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkellyvtme

Is this a good time to get into contract cutting? I am about to take the plunge and get a buncher. I already have 2 jobs lined up for it and maybe a third. I have wanted to do this for a very long time (been a dream of mine) and now I am able to. Although, I am afraid of skyrocketing fuel prices and an uneasy future in the U.S. and the state I live in. I will not be doing it full time since I already have a extremely secure and well paying job. I just don't want to jump into it with both feet and have it sit. I get really excited about it and then I get a little skeptical. So, is it "come in the water is fine" or "what the heck are you thinking..run away". Oh yeah, I am waiting to hear on financing.

FFLM

I also have a very steady/good paying job, and log on the weekends/time off.  I own my skidder and it makes it much eaiser to make money. I would suggest with the wood markets as they are to stick with what you are doing.  If you making money logging be happy!!
208 Jack, 372's and F450 Stroker

snowstorm

you dont want to do it fulltime???what are you looking at for a buncher???all you will do is put wood on the ground??who skids ? limbs?cutting round wood ?chip wood? rate per ton cd?need a lot more imfo to help ya. remember its all.....risk.....

Rick Alger

Spring breakup is coming in a month or so. Prices still trending down. I wouldn't rush into it, especially if you're planning to contract by the ton. I hear  the low-grade wood prices are below logging cost right now.

240b

Contract cutting in new england doesn't work.  You need to own everything,  contracts, trucks,skidders, and the monkeys to run it all. The markets here are so fickle as you know it makes it impossible to plan.  Too many big players already for the mill capacity  in northern new england. Eight weeks of good weather and things get plugged up.  Used to be everyone could work all winter. Now as one Large operator put it," you have to do a seasons worth of work in one month and try to beat everybody else to the gate."  Next, there seems to be more and more, used and generally abused cutters on the market.  So, what is the resale on something like that in four or five years down the road.  probably not good.  Just look at all the grapple skidders w/ 12-20 thousand hours on them and  still is waaay overpriced.   this stuff wears out. the rock gardens of the kingdom and the whites are not kind to equipment.     Not like some little 230 a guy can run for twenty years. I did this for four years and it was the biggest headache ever, spent more time on the phone "talking" to subs.  Made ok money, but at the end of the day what was the point? Just keeping the oil company and Cat in business.  

Thank You Sponsors!