iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer bearing

Started by JustinW_NZ, July 01, 2015, 01:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustinW_NZ

Hi all

Ive just been through fitting a new drive guide roller assembly on my LT40.
and I notice the main drive bearing seems to have some play in it?

I can pull in from to back by about 2mm (5/64) or .079 of an inch)
When I say back and forward, I mean band wheel to or away from the end if the mill.
It also can move side to side a little.

I'm sure it didn't used to move but my memory isn't that great!?

Does this sound normal / ok or something I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance  8)

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Jim_Rogers

I don't believe it should move at all......either way

Good luck

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Chuck White

Right Jim, there shouldn't be any movement.

I'd hate to think of doing the required replacement, but as I've read on some of the posts here, there's not as much to it as one would think.

Good luck Justin.   :P
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Justin if I understand right it is the shaft with the drive sprocket?  If so then you need to replace the bearing, it's not a bad fix, couple hours max,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JustinW_NZ

Thanks all.

It strikes me as odd that it can move, i dont think it should.

Can you just replace bearings in the housing or the whole assembly is swapped?

Cheers
Justin

Gear I run;

drobertson

If this is the part then yes change out the bearings, I replaced them all, I think the bearings were bout 13 bucks maybe 16, cant remember. Bearing house had them in stock.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ga Mtn Man

I'm not sure but I don't think you guys are talking about the same thing.  In his original post he talks about the band wheel moving in and out.  Justin, please clarify. ???
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

That was also the way I understood it Paul.  Bearing on the drive wheel, not power feed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JustinW_NZ

Yes main drive bearing behind the bandwheel.
Not the drive.up and down motor bits.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

drobertson

My bad, sorry bout that Justin, and the rest of you folks, never had the issue, but seen it once, quite the pricey rascal, at least on the 70's hope all is well there other wise,

Chuck White

The way I took it was that it was the main bearing on the drive wheel side of the saw head.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

My sawmill's previous owner had to replace those bearings.  After doing so, he pressed the outer seal in backwards.  (Actually my owner's manual shows it backwards)  I had to track down why I was continually having to add ATF to the bearing unit.  A new seal correctly installed took care of the fluid leakage.

I have replaced the large bearing in the idle side.  There was no wobble, but was gradually getting a "rumble". 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

I believe I have told this story on the forum before. But I got my mill in 1994 and the manual said to not worry about checking the oil in the main bearing tank until 1000 hours on the mill.
At 684 hours the bearings let go from being worn out due to lack of oil. It seems that back then the top plug was just that = a plug.
And when the oil got hot, while sawing, there was no place for the air/oil to expand to as the reservoir was a plugged air tight unit. So the oil got pushed out through the bearings. I would assume ruining the seals.
Afterwards they send out a retro fit plug with a vent.
Later on in newer models they put in a sight gauge tube. I retro fit my mill with this tube gauge so I can see the oil level and hopefully keep it up to where it should be.

I purchased a new bearing unit with shaft and put the wheels and drums on my self as I remember it.
Wasn't too hard to do, and the alignment fell right into place without any changes of anything. I guess I was lucky about that.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

JustinW_NZ

I talked to the local agent this morning about it.

He said some movement as I described (pull/push) is ok, but it shouldn't be able to move sideways.
He also said if the mill has sat for a long time the oil wont lube the bearings and they can fail early (my mills a '97 and it did sit unused for many years)

So I think I will listen for any rumble from the bearings and otherwise as long as alignments all stay ok I will ignore it for now..

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

pineywoods

Justin, replacing them bearings (there are 2 of them inside the housing) is not a trivial exersize. The bearings are pressed onto the shaft, requiring a hydraulic press or a long session with a big hammer and a brass punch. When mine went out, woodmizer recommended replacing the entire assembly. that way you get a new shaft, housing, bearings and seals. If you don't have the plastic tube oil level sight gage, I highly recommend installing one. The alignment proceedure required after you replace everything can be somewhat of a booger also, take the time to get it right. Watch that oil level.....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: pineywoods on July 01, 2015, 10:36:12 PM
Justin, replacing them bearings (there are 2 of them inside the housing) is not a trivial exersize. The bearings are pressed onto the shaft, requiring a hydraulic press or a long session with a big hammer and a brass punch. When mine went out, woodmizer recommended replacing the entire assembly. that way you get a new shaft, housing, bearings and seals. If you don't have the plastic tube oil level sight gage, I highly recommend installing one. The alignment proceedure required after you replace everything can be somewhat of a booger also, take the time to get it right. Watch that oil level.....

well that's good to know if I got stuck..
Im going to give the mill a shot tomorrow and see how it goes.
We have just given it quite an overhaul (even cut off the inner roller guide assembly and fitted the new bolt on stuff!) and I suspect / hope things have just bed'd in and shifted a little.
As my helper found some downtilt this afternoon and corrected it so all should be good now (fingers crossed).

Thanks for all the info  :)

Cheers from NZ!

Gear I run;

Thank You Sponsors!