iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White pines

Started by wooddog, January 07, 2018, 09:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wooddog

Can anyone tell me what are the rules on cutting down white pine on private land in Ontario Canada?

lopet

If they're yours, don't ask questions.  ;D  Sorry for not giving any more appropriate advise.  Hiickcks.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Andries

. . and if they're not yours, don't do it.  ;D Sorry for giving you another wisecrack answer.
Ask a forester at your local OMNR office?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Southside

Most generally the rule of gravity will make them fall down, not up, and you will be on the "down" side of the equation. 

Third apology for the smart response... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

starmac

Actually all of the above answers are right on the money, again sorry for the smart aleky answer.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

luvmexfood

You will probably need to provide more info. Number of trees, from a yard or farm. Would suggest you start with contacting the Canadian equivalent of a county forester if they have such a thing in Canada. If on a farm you might want to call it "pasture improvement" instead of a logging job.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

thecfarm

On my land in Maine there is an intent to harvest form that I need to cut and sell logs. It's very simple to get. I need the harvest number to sell logs to a sawmill and the number for pulp. I have no idea about Canada. Just saying it "should" be easy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Glenn

Most pine stands in Ontario are cut using the uniform shelterwood system with selection used in some places as need be.  I tree marked pine for years. PM me if you like.

ehp

if there in Cobalt your a ways north, you should check with your county and see if any by-law on cutting pine . Just south of this place we cut a lot of pine and the govt had a tax type of thing that the land owner did not own the right to white pine , You had to buy the stumpage from the govt

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Skeans1

God bless being in a free country that's a load of bs if you have to buy the stumpage on your own ground.

Southside

Timber rights???  Wow!!   >:(
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ehp

its the same with mineral rights , just because you got gold on your land does not mean you own it

Andries

Land ownership means you get to use the land - if you pay the property tax.
Mineral rights belong to the guy that pays for them (diamonds or oil).
A landowner also doesn't own the water that flows in the river that runs through his property. He can use it, but the guy watering his cattle downstream can use it too.

The OP was asking a good question - he's coming up to speed on the long standing laws (Canada or the USA) of resource use.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

lopet

Quote from: ehp on January 10, 2018, 06:58:20 AM
its the same with mineral rights , just because you got gold on your land does not mean you own it

I always thought the government has mineral rights for what ever is under  the top soil. What ever you grow on top of it on private land is yours. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

lopet

Quote from: ehp on January 09, 2018, 08:20:23 PM
if there in Cobalt your a ways north, you should check with your county and see if any by-law on cutting pine . Just south of this place we cut a lot of pine and the govt had a tax type of thing that the land owner did not own the right to white pine , You had to buy the stumpage from the govt

Are you talking about private land or crown land ?

OntarioAl

In Ontario on some but not all private land the Crown (Government  of Ontario) retains the right to the Pine (Red , White  or Jack pine) . You have to check your property deed as to whether or not you can cut the pine on your land without paying the stumpage charges.
The hold on the pine predates Confederation and it was for naval stores for the British Navy the politicians kept it on the books as a revenue stream.
You are allowed to harvest pine for your own use on your property that the pine is growing on. You can also apply to buy the pine rights back from the government and have he hold on the pine removed from your deed.
Cheers
Al
Al Raman

62oliver

By Thunder Bay Ontario there is a river called the Kaministiquia River, I was told that back in the old days that all the white pine for 5 miles on either side of the river was claimed for the queen to be used for ship masts in the royal navy.
  Dragging a white pine 5 miles to get it to the river in this country would have been a rough go.
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

mike_belben

Well hey, anything for the queen right? 

My wife would be just fine with me lugging her a ship mast 5 miles on my back.  Wouldnt even glance away from the phone!
Praise The Lord

Roxie

Say when

wooddog

Thanks for the help everyone and it is on private land clearing to build on some of the trees have rot in them making them dangerous so he would like them removed I'll check with the MNR her to make sure it's ok to cut.

ehp

that is private land , cost us about $60/1000 and was quite the pain in the butt as you had to pile the logs up so the govt guys could scale the logs before you shipped to the mill . Just because you pay the taxes does not mean you own the mineral rights ,

mike_belben

This is all canada talk eh? Im pretty sure american land title is fee simple, where we own whats ontop and underneath.  No?
Praise The Lord

tmbrcruiser

Most land titles within the USA include all rights unless those rights are exempted within the deed. During purchase a title search should disclose any reserved rights. At that point it is the purchaser's decision to buy the property as restricted or forgo the purchase. That's why we pay the Lawyers big buck :-[.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: mike_belben on January 12, 2018, 08:11:48 AM
This is all canada talk eh? Im pretty sure american land title is fee simple, where we own whats ontop and underneath.  No?

NO. Many times land doesn't include the mineral rights especially in areas where there are known profitable mineral deposits. For instance in this area copper mining was huge and there is still lots of ore deposits, and very few people own the mineral rights unless they buy them from the mining companies.

There are even cases where land is sold and the surface rights to the timber are retained by the previous owner.

Thank You Sponsors!