iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a new home, returning to the farm.

Started by SwampDonkey, January 11, 2018, 12:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Today I received the finished house plans for a new home on the farm in Royalton. This was several months, but we never really got going until October because the sale of the house in Grafton did not come about until the end of August, and will be final March 1 this year. I will update this page later with photos since I think the gallery is temporarily offline. I will keep this thread updated as we progress along, come spring time.  :)

Photos to follow....
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I did not see the house. My Dinosaur computer does not like facebook. I can just about get by with youtube,when it feels like it. But I did see some examples of what you weave?
Good luck with the house.About 18 years ago my dream was made. We built a house on The Farm,right where I always dreamed of one. We was trying to lay the house out in March. I had to ran around and gather up snow to put stakes up.   ::)No snow,but the ground was froze solid.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yep, ok. It's because it's not public I guess. I'll take the link down and get the images on here as soon as is possible.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

Congratulations Donk!

Building a house is the best of times and the worst of times.

I need to update my thread.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

Yes indeed.  And do keep us up to date on your progress, Jon. There won't be a lot to report on for awhile on my end until the glaciers melt.  ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

I just went back and checked my thread and really don't have much to add.
It's moving slow right now I'm sure we will have a flurry of activity this spring.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WDH

Make sure that you put it on high stilts so that the glaciers can slide under it  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Yeah, have to be 9 feet to be above the glacier line. ;D

Hilltop366

smiley_thumbsup

Congratulations! I built my own, moved in about 15 years ago.

Lots of work and lots of personal satisfaction.

SwampDonkey

House Exterior.

960 square feet on both floors.

Autocar

Cool I like it ! Will be a fun project  8)
Bill

WDH

You will need a 90 degree roof to help the glaciers slide off  :).

Love the porch.  A man needs a porch like that. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Nice, I would run the porch to the side door.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SwampDonkey

It actually is the access to the main screened in porch to the left, that faces west toward the mountains and farm fields. The front entry will have concrete steps that we have and to the left an outside tap. The front open porch is just the right size for sitting in the March-April sun and for the close line off the left end.  ;D

Don P

Snow guards would be a good idea on the upper roof over the porch, that drop can beat up the porch roof and cause leaks. If you go that route then count on the weight of the snow on the upper rafters... which is better than an impact load on the porch.

SwampDonkey

Shouldn't be a problem, the drop was much higher than that on the old farm house from the main house onto the shed roof, for over 120 years. The snow could never really get any depth. ;)

SwampDonkey

This coming week I will most likely be signing off the internet grid for a few months. I will be moving out of Grafton and back to Royalton, staying at my brother's until the new house is built. I will update this thread on the other side,  so to speak, with construction photos. My internet will probably be satellite or tower based when I emerge and not FiberOp any longer. Oh well, happiness and contentment often times has trade-offs. ;D

47sawdust

I love a wrap around porch but they can be a rigging problem for future maintenance and repair work.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

Good luck with the build. We did that 18 years ago. All went smooth except for ledge,BIG rock where the bedroom is. A blasting crew helped that problem out.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Shouldn't really be any on the spot we are building, half the cement floor footage is near the existing ground surface. There is probably 3 feet of field stone on top of the slope. Time will tell and the excavator man may find a few treasures, many not so golden I suspect.  :D

47sawdust

Walk-out basement's really add a lot to a house.
Best of luck to you on the build,hope the surprises are all good.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Ed_K

"an outside tap" This is for the beer  ;D .
Ed K

SwampDonkey

Well, since I can control the flow from the inside of the house, one never knows. Not likely though. :D

SwampDonkey

Well the days are lengthening and the snow is slowly receding. I recently chose a general contractor and will be working out the agreement between us in the coming days. :)

thecfarm

All sounds good. I did all that 18 years ago. They was digging about now. Just got the cement trucks in,we had a few days of freezing weather.

Thank You Sponsors!