iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cabin has gone to the birds!!

Started by Jeff, June 04, 2023, 07:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Back at the cabin after memorial day, and our efforts to create a place for wildlife the last couple years is having some real results. Today on the property I  saw, but did not catch all on video, Turkeys, Cranes with Chicks, A whitetail deer fawn, Canadian Invaders, otherwise known as geese,  Several Varying Hare, one young dead one, and A great blue Heron. All taking advantageof our habitat improvements. for years we would drive around to see wildlife in the area, but now they come to us!
Video Link: Upper Peninsula Cabin has gone to the Birds! We have Sandhill Crane Chicks!! - YouTube

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

I have seen blue heron down by the brook, but never on the upland.
I just saw turkeys chicks yesterday. They were small. Must have just hatched.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen1

nice when we have time to enjoy the birds.  8)
We have a pair of Great Blue Herons nesting in the bay next to us, not so nice when they fly over and drop a bomb...they are big birds
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Jeff

The Heron flew over twice. It has designs on landing and fishing my pond, but to much me around. I've  came up on it down there while it was wading. Not as large as the cranes, but they may be as heavy. Husky looking birds.   Frome cranes to humming birds here, quite the display.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

We are up around 17hrs of daylight, so things go like crazy.

barbender

One of my favorite Blue Heron memories- I was shore fishing, and across the flowage there was a Blue Heron standing in the reeds trying to fish, too. However, a pair of Red-winged Blackbirds must've had a nest close by, because they were harassing the Heron incessantly. It would fly off, but then the temptation for a meal would cause him to return. Finally the male blackbird got real angry. It landed right on the Heron's head, and started ripping feathers out! The Heron let out a loud croak, and took to flight with the blackbird still on its head, ripping feathers left and right. They went out of sight, the Heron croaking loudly and that savage little blackbird still on his head, ripping feathers😂 
Too many irons in the fire

Ron Scott

Great on the wildlife habitat improvements. You make it and they will come.
~Ron

Don P

Herons can bomb but those sandhills can unleash a load that'll drop you  :D
My wife's folks were bird lovers and there were usually a few semi tame ones that would drop in. Pete was a great blue that would show up at daybreak at the back door for a fish. We scared each other waking up one morning, I think both screamed and ran the other way and Pete waited for us to leave from across the canal. We'd see each other after that and he would stop in for a fish but never a surprise, I think he learned to check the drive then scope it out, they are sharp.

Thank You Sponsors!