Kwill

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Magicman

Looks like lightening did a number on it many years ago.  If it was on my property and was still producing nuts I would leave it as a seed tree.

The top could make a few funky looking slabs and the lower portion many hollow cookies. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kwill

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Woodpecker52

As long as its making O2 its worth something.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

WDH

It would make killer river table slabs.  Google river tables.  They are all the rage.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

moodnacreek

To bad it's a twist as they almost always are. Short stuff for sure.

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on February 19, 2019, 08:14:01 PMIt would make killer river table slabs.
That would depend upon how much heartwood is remaining inside.  There is a possibility that what you see is all that is there.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OffGrid973

Google litchtenburg (sp?) technique, never try it with a homemade machine as it's dangerous, but rumor has it that walnut may have some fractal images in it.

If not you can sell a bunch of cookies that make a great outhouse seat :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

WV Sawmiller

This is a cherry bench a guy did the lichtenberg processing on. Real neat.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: OffGrid973 on February 19, 2019, 08:54:24 PMIf not you can sell a bunch of cookies that make a great outhouse seat :)

I'm thinking you could make some "butt" cookies like I could have from this:

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Downstream

In cookie form it may look like this.  

In my live edge business it would be like finding a small pile of gold.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Kwill

Not sure where i could sell them around here
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

richhiway

Let it be, It's a survivor. 

I don't think you'd find much that was good there.  
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Brad_bb

Well it was obviously damaged, probably by lightning since the damage is from top to bottom.  The tree has worked hard to try and heal around the damaged section.  No, it's not worth anything as far as selling as a saw log.  If it were on my property I'd consider leaving it.  IF it needed to come down, I would use it.  It could be a piece in a timberframe, or it could be used for a large furniture piece.  I'd probably peel the bark, let the outside dry then polish it and use it whole.  So money-wise no, but could it be used for something, yes.  You just need a little creativity.  I can't tell how big it is, diameter-wise, but it may be big enough for a post, or something else.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WDH

If you cut it down and plan to remove the bark, be sure and harvest it after the buds have started growing and the new leaves have just been put out.  Then, the bark will peel off like a banana.  If you cut it down in the dormant season, getting the bark off will be very difficult. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TKehl

Initially I'd say cut it down to let better trees grow.  But it looks like its surrounded by scrub cedar...

Walnut heart lasts a very long time before rotting.  I'd probably let this one grow, but if I wanted to open up a glade, this would be a prime area to do so.

As for markets, you probably won't sell many to locals.  But you do have a good number of people that are in the area to canoe and camp.  And most importantly the internet and those big brown trucks are your friends.  ;)  
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Kwill

Where it is located at i would have to take a fence down and it would be a job just to get it out. Not really worth messing with.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Woodpecker52

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Kwill

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Thank You Sponsors!