iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HELP! circle mill..no name. Backwards?

Started by StoneCreek, January 05, 2018, 11:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StoneCreek

I come from a large family who operated a community saw mill for 3/4 of the 20th century. I was too young to actually be around it when it became obsolete, shut down, sold off, and long gone. I am a builder and have always had a wood shop and made things.. I had a band saw briefly years ago. Wasn't impressed..really! I have always wanted a circle mill. I think it's just in my blood.
So. Last Saturday, I bought a decent setup at an auction. But was not present. Haha. Looked good in pic. Long story short. Somebody threw some John Deere green and yellow on it and well. Let's say, it needs a little TLC. But I'm in no hurry.
What I know about it...It has the letter "V" in the casting. There are no other markings or identifications. It's PTO SHAFT driven. The sawyer position and the whole direction of the feed of the saw seems to be backward of EVERYTHING I've watched, seen pics of, or read about.
Can someone help me out?

JB Griffin

What you have is a left hand mill. Somewhat common, not unheard of. Other than that I can tell you nothing, good luck.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

longtime lurker

Nothing wrong with a lefty. Your PTO hookup, does it have a gear box or twist belt or similar? Standard tractor PTO's turn the wrong way to drive a left hand mill and you need to be able to reverse the rotation, most left hand mills tend to be run off stationary motors.

Bad information about rotation direction. I knew that a mill was easily configured for PTO on one hand and required a rotational direction change for the other. I just got them wrong. Easy to tell I'm not used to PTO drives huh? Thanks to those who corrected me.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Rigg

Looks like a JA Vance setworks.  I'm sure someone will know for sure.
Frick 00, International UD-14A

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, StoneCreek!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

StoneCreek

Thank you for the comments and welcoming.  Despite single digit temps, I went out to the farm and took some better pics.  I will post those.  I was coming to the conclusion it was a "lefty". How much work would it take to change it to a right hand.  What do you all think of the carriage and the way it's set up otherwise, other than the logs taken out from under it and put on it to saw! lol Any and all help very much appreciated. I know nothing so...

StoneCreek

StoneCreek

It has a 42" blade and I would really like to know more about it specifically if anyone can help there. Maybe a place I could take it within 100 miles of Knoxville to have it hammered and buy the correct teeth.

StoneCreek

Corley5

Quote from: longtime lurker on January 06, 2018, 05:38:09 AM
Nothing wrong with a lefty. Your PTO hookup, does it have a gear box or twist belt or similar? Standard tractor PTO's turn the wrong way to drive a left hand mill and you need to be able to reverse the rotation, most left hand mills tend to be run off stationary motors.

Right hand mills turn the wrong direction to be powered directly from a tractor PTO.  Left hand mills can have the PTO shaft hooked directly to the mandrel.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

StoneCreek

CORLEY5. Oh I see.  Is that your tractor driving a mill? Do you have pics of the mill?

Ron Wenrich

Nothing wrong with a left handed mill.  I sawed on one for 25 yrs.  To switch over, you would probably have to reverse your pulley system, and that would be a job. 

What are you intending to saw on the mill?  How much?  Your maximum depth of cut on that blade would be around 16-17". 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Corley5

That's mine :)  It's been disassembled, moved and is in storage awaiting reassembly.  There's pics in my gallery  https://forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=246&page=1  I have a second left hand Corley 5 that we hauled home from south central Missouri.

StoneCreek

Ron, yeah its a small blade.  I probably will look into a larger diameter.  I have a 70 horse 282 Massey I am going to pull it with.  What came on it, so I may saw some smaller soft wood until then

moodnacreek

Somewhere I'v seen the 2 reach rods before, maybe in C.H.Wendell,s book 'circular sawmills. Your saw looks like a style 3. That mill being a l\h could be tractor pto driven  like in the post with the IH tractor. The saw would have to be happy at 500rpm.                             

Corley5

dgdrls

moodnacreek

Sorry about that style 3 comment. That would be 2 1/2.     When Simonds made style 3 super shanks they only had 1 hole but these are seldom seen.

StoneCreek

I'm thinking 3 style with a regular bit..

StoneCreek

OH! I see the hole is kinda centered in the apex of the arch.
So am I going to be able to replace these things or no?

Corley5

Menominee Saw, a forum sponsor over on the left, will set you right up :) 8)

Ron Wenrich

You'll need a saw wrench to take out the shanks.  I always sprayed mine down with a penetrating oil like Rust Reaper and let it sit for a while.  Makes it easier to take them out.  I also always had extra pins handy for the wrench.  They break at inopportune times.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

StoneCreek

Okay...UPDATE! I've found MORE numbers! AND letters!  So, in other words, the "V" I referenced in the first few posts was NOT an initial for a name.. The "v" is on the head blocks.  There is a "B 40" on the mandrel. There is an "N 289" on one side of the head block adjustment lever and an "N 290" on the other side of the same lever.  SO.. My thoughts are, this was a kit.  All the pieces were labeled and it was put together.  I still can't find and names.  I did find numbers on the bits, and shanks.  IT IS a 2 1/2 shank regular.  However, there are several sizes of bits in the shanks.  I found #8's, #9's, and atleast one #10 bit in it. Pretty sure that wont work...well. It has 44 teeth and is 42" in diameter.  I also found numbers near the eye of the saw. 

dgdrls

2-1/2 pattern is the smallest gullet, thus more teeth.  You'll want to
get set-up with a matched set of bits and shanks.

What was the number at the saw eye?.

Best

D

Thank You Sponsors!