iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to source Pressure treated 6 x 6, no heart

Started by SwampDonkey, January 11, 2018, 10:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Anyone in northern Maine or New Brunswick with any good sources to get pressure treated 6 x 6 post for an open porch. 9-10' tall stuff. But, no heartwood. All I am used to seeing is boxed heart posts that split open 4 ways to Sunday when in the weather.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kantuckid

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

SwampDonkey

That's what I was think'n.  ::) ;D :D :D

Although, I have seen some brown treated ones on Lowe's site. That doesn't mean they have them that way. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don P

Foundation grade treated, I believe UC4 is the use category, is free of heartwood. That is still a boxed heart timber simply a young tree. Remember heartwood doesn't take treatment so the treatment goes all the way through the timber. Down here Cox would probably be the supplier in SYP, they can supply on up to marine retention 2.5pcf.

It sounds like you want FOHC timbers, probably available in dougfir, which is difficult to treat and so is usually incised. I've only run into those out west, generally brown treatment, shallow penetration and not handsome.

Laminated columns are one alternative;
https://coxwood.com/residential/product/durapine-columns/

Post frame suppliers might be able to get you a full height treated glulam post along these lines, don't know;
http://www.rigidply.com/GlulamPostsBeamsArches/Posts

I noticed on your side elevation the far right post needs to go to bottom of foundation depth.

SwampDonkey

I've decided to cover the posts, so will make due with the local stuff I guess. One thing I have found in the mean time is some decent steel post anchors and skirts, not this local aluminum and plastic junk. Ordered from Lee valley. I also got their hand rail brackets for the stair case inside the house.

Thank You Sponsors!