iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

West MI Sunset

Started by hawby, January 08, 2003, 06:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawby

Just had to share with all of you the wonderful sunset we had here this evening. I was just starting to upload it, about 6PM, when our power went off-on-off-on-off........ I began to wish i had gotten the generator wiring put in place  :-/ But, in less than an hour, I had it wired and running and we got power back about 8:30PM. I sure am glad we got a 5500W gen. We ran everything but the stove, dryer, and water heater. I think we could run them if we dropped most everything else... :o

Anyway... here comes the Sun.....

klh

Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Tom

Oh Yes-s-s    I love it.   Purty red!

Bibbyman

We've had a lot of sunsets like that recently and a few really great sunrises.  

I've not been able to capture the scene with my camera mainly because I just stand and watch it happen. In 5 minutes, it's all gone – just a glow on the horizon and then darkness.  

Great pix.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

CHARLIE

That's a beautiful picture. You might want to have it enlarged and frame it.  Those don't happen often.  I saw a beautiful sunset last night on my way into Rochester. I didn't have a camera with me though. The sky was a aqua marine color, it almost glowed, the very high and straight and flat clouds were more of a hot pink than a red. I sure wished for a camera.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

hawby

I was sitting at the PC when the wife told me I just ahd to take a look. We pulled up the bedroom blinds an that is what I saw. We keep the camera next to the PC, so I grabbed it, pulled the screen out of the window and...shot it!

Yes, I am gonna make a frame outta some cherry I dried and blow the picture up. That Basswood tree is in my parents yard. It used to be perfectly shaped, until the ice storm of 1985. That took most of the North side out. It has regenerated some. It still is a nice tree.

klh
Hawby

whitepe

Nice picture Hawby !   :)
In keeping with the Michigan theme in this thread
here's a picture I took along Lake Huron in the UP
last August (2002).

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

whitepe

Here's a picture of a Central Illinois sunrise
that I took several years ago. The trees
are a bunch of osage orange along my driveway.

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

RMay

We had a red glow sunset today like that 8)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Tom

Wow, Perry!

Here's one I shot a couple or three years ago in Moniac, Ga.

CHARLIE

Sunset at Cormorant Lake in Detroit Lakes, Minnesota. Photo taken by a good friend of mine.  I didn't get to see this one but I enjoy the photo.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

sawmill_john

Here are a few Oregon sunsets:

This is Mt. Hood from the east side over looking Timothy Lake.

This was taken cross country skiing on the west side of Mt. Hood looking down the Sandy River Gorge.

My wife bugs me about all the pictures of sunsets I have taken over the years.  I guess I just can't pass up a great sun set, or sun rise.

John

RavioliKid

What beautiful pictures! I heard that the sunset last night was beautiful. I should have stopped what I was doing and found a window...

:-/
RavioliKid

Noble_Ma

We're not seeing any sunsets or sunrises because it's been snowing for a month here!!!  Great pictures guys.

OneWithWood

Great pics everyone!

A flaming sky in the evening always gets my expectations in high gear for the following day -
Red sky at night, sailors' (woodsmen's) delight 8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Bro. Noble

Beautiful Pictures!

All I ever see while the sun is coming up and going down is the south end of cows facing north.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Noble_Ma

OneWithWood, there's more to that saying.  Red sky at mornin, sailors take warnin.  It's usually true too ;D

johncinquo

Ken that is great, and cracks me up.  I was driving with my son last night to go get something to eat and we came over a hill and saw that too.  We stopped at the crest and watched it for a moment and he even said "thats beautiful dad".  I would have taken a picture, but my memory card is still full from visiting your saw mill and place!   It is a rarity for us here to have a good winter sunset as well because of cloud cover.  
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

OneWithWood

Noble_ma,

Yes, that is the rest of it.  It is often true because the weather generally moves from west to east.  If the sky is clear to the west the setting sun will reflect off the moisture in the air above you, or I should say the red wave lengths will reflect, the others of the spectrum get absorbed, hence the red sky at dusk.

On the other hand if the skies to the west or in your proximity are cloudy and it is clear to the east the morning sun will be reflected off the approaching weather maker.

This is one of the old sayings that is founded in some sciense.

I think I got that right :P
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

hawby

Yup, there is something about those sunrises and sunsets, huh? I used to see some real great ones when I lived in Albuquerque, NM. The volcano on Mexico belched a bunch of particulate into the upper atmosphere and we would get the full spectral array displayed from horizon to horizon. The horizon out there of course is huge compared to Michigan.

John, I am glad you and Bran got a chance to see it, and now you DO have a pic of it.

Thanks to those of you that gave me some of yours.

klh
Hawby

dan-l-b

Wonderful pictures gentlemen!!  The more I see, the more I know I need to get my camera going. ::) ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

Sunset from space.
 One of my NASA buddies sent me this one today:

The text that came with it:
 This photo was taken via satellite, on a cloudless day. Note how the lights are already on in Holland, Paris, and barcelona, and how it's still daylight in London, Lisbon, and Madrid.
The sun is still shining on the Straight of Gibraltar, and the
Mediterranean Sea is already in darkness.

In the middle of the Atlantic Ocean you can see the Azores
Islands; below them to the right are the Madeira Islands; a bit
below are the Canary Islands; and further south, close to the
farthest western point of Africa, the Cape Verde Islands.

Note how the Sahara is huge and can be seen clearly both during daytime and nighttime. To the left, on top, is Greenland, totally frozen.

Fantastic and impressive.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Weekend_Sawyer

Sunset over my Norwood in Maryland.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!