iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rope

Started by 21incher, May 13, 2018, 07:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

I tend not to use ropes or chains at all for felling when I'm working in the woods. I can usually figure out how to wedge it over in the direction I want it to go (with two wedges and the occasional cookie as a spacer, you can counter a surprising amount of lean). If that's just not practical, I'll look for other directions to drop it. Admittedly, there are more options when cutting firewood, since if it doesn't land in a position that makes it easy to pull out, I can always cut it into smaller pieces and then drag it out.

When cutting sawlogs or when the tree is creating a hazard to a building or something, a rope or chain may be unavoidable. I generally don't do near power lines if it's going to take a rope or chain to protect them. I let the power company deal with that.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Busysawyer

I was taught to tie the alpine butterfly with the hand wrap method. Once you get it down you can do it with your eyes closed.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

21incher

Thanks John Mc & Magicman got that one down. It would be nice if there was a knot tying app that laid them out like you did John Mc.

I do use wedges but find there is a fine line on hinge size for leaners and wind direction doesn't help either.  The hand winch and Samson rigging rope look to be the perfect solution to provide some extra tension for me working alone on the smaller size trees that l am dealing with. plus there is no danger to anything if they go in the wrong direction, just alot of extra work.  It is just nice to now have a decent length of rope that is not notted together and has a real working load rating as a extra safety precaution when needed. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

I did some practicing yesterday.  Yup, dat's a good knot.  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

HM126

james

Quote from: John Mc on May 13, 2018, 09:46:44 PMrock climbers us. While it is incredibly strong, it's designed to be elastic - that elasticity cushions the jerk at the end of a long fall when climbing. However, the elasticity is also what makes the rope spring back with surprising force if it does break.

that"s not nice not all rock climbers are jerks ;D james

Crusarius

John Mc

Quote from: 21incher on May 17, 2018, 07:30:05 AMIt would be nice if there was a knot tying app that laid them out like you did John Mc.

If you are talking about how to tie the knots, if you google just about any knot name, you'll find an abundance of picture sequences, animated tying examples, and YouTube videos. Quality varies greatly, and what makes perfect sense to one viewer may be completely confusing to another, so if one isn't clicking for you, try another.

I've also found that most of the Wikipedia entries for a specific knot have pretty good descriptions of that knot is good for.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Google Apps 

They have an app for tying knots. 
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

gspren

That Butterfly knot looks like what they use to tie top & bottom rigs for fishing.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

WDH

Do they have an app for skinning goats?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 17, 2018, 09:17:54 PM
Do they have an app for skinning goats?
No but they show a knot for hanging one. 😂😂😂😂
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Brucer

Stretchy ropes can get you in trouble with a leaner, even the very strong ones. Arborist's ropes were designed for the job. Personally, I have a pair of 50 foot 3/8" wire rope chokers that I can link together. A cable clamp plus an 8000 pound come-along and an anchor chain complete the package.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

21incher

Tried out that winch today and it worked great. Made a video and at at about 13:30 it shows the type of damage that all my Ash trees have from the EAB.
Taking Down An EAB Infested ASH Using A Maasdam Rope Winch - YouTube

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!