iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

plowing snow

Started by graves logging, December 19, 2012, 04:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

graves logging

Does anyone plow woods roads with a single axel dumptruck. I have a c60 and was wondering about putting a plow on it. With 2 cord of wood on for weight. Or is it a waist of time. Stick with the skidder. Truck would be a lot warmer.

thecfarm

Could you do it a couple times per storm,suppose too much of a bother, Got chains for it? Is it a good road or rough,uphill?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

snowstorm

Quote from: graves logging on December 19, 2012, 04:37:40 PM
Does anyone plow woods roads with a single axel dumptruck. I have a c60 and was wondering about putting a plow on it. With 2 cord of wood on for weight. Or is it a waist of time. Stick with the skidder. Truck would be a lot warmer.
all depends on how much snow you get and how long the roads are and how ruff. what do you have for a plow? an 11' frink dustpan will clear 9' and can be set up to plow dirt roads. lay the cutting edge back and add shoes if they are not on already. i have plowed roads for many years so any question just ask. you will want chains and a locking rear end is a big help. my international has a locking rear and the only time i chain up is in a really bad ice storm then its one chain on front one on back. the front one is so you can steer it

beenthere

The USFS used to take one tire off the duals to get better traction when plowing snow.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chevytaHOE5674

All depends on the terrain and how much snow you receive. Around here (land of steep terrain and heavy heavy snowfalls) most woods roads are plowed out with pickup truck and if plowed a twice a day its usually no problem keeping a road open. They are the preferred method as they are cheap to operate, easy to get from job to job, and useful for hauling people as well as plowing at home and at the shop. After a few days of hard snow we usually bring in a grader with a wing plow to push the banks back and open up turn outs and what not. If the snow gets real deep I have a few contractors on my list that have 6 foot tall snowblowers on the front of 4wd Oshkosh trucks that can clear just about anything. 

shinnlinger

If you can find a plow cheap enough that will fit easy enough go for it.  How long is your c-60?  Locking rear end?  I have contemplated a plow for my
f-600 with a 12 ft bed but think it is too long and the tilt nose would be another issue.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

1270d

We plow with pickups.  Like chevytahoe said.  When the banks start closing in one of the road contractors has a single axle dump with an old high side road plow to push them back.  It also has an underbody scraper.  We also use a rubber cutting edge on the pickup plows.  It doubles your productiviity.

snowstorm

so rubber edges work ok ? fisher put some plastic edges on some of there light duty plows. i run carbide with a cover over it. it keeps the rocks in the dirt roads from chipping the carbide. carbide is very expensive but i spend a lot of time scrapping roads. and they last a long time. last time i bought edges for the international 11' plow 11' wing it was $1400. on your pickup plows if you buy real cutting edges. they are 5\8" thick by either 6" or 8" they will last much longer than the edges that fisher or boss sells. you will have to drill new holes because they use 5\8" bolts 12" punch. drill two sets of holes and drop the edge down as it wears. too wide an edge and the plow will trip to easy

GRANITEstateMP

I put one of those 5/8 x 8in cutting edges on my Fisher.  Works great for parking lots and roads (I usually end up plowing for the town, schools, firehouse, secondary roads), BUT when I had to plow some of our dirt roads that weren't frozen, that edge kept trying to send me throught the window!  In the edge's defence, I didn't have my shoe's on (hey it was either really early or really late).  You sure do get a lot more longevity out of a real edge vs. the ones you get from Fisher!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

chevytaHOE5674

Rubber is the way to go on uneven logging roads, that way the plow isn't tripping on every little clump of dirt or rock that is frozen in the road. Easier on the truck and your body, and usually allows me to run at a little higher speed.

I don't think they would last plowing parking lots or paved roads though. But the county plows all their roads and parking lots are usually plowed by their owner. Logging roads are usually plowed by the logger on their way in and out of the job, if its snowing a lot they will often times make a couple passes down the road at lunch as well.

1270d

The rubber edge wont scrape quit as clean as a metal edge after it gets a bit of wear.  The rubber is around 1.5 in thick,  not belted. 

lumberjack48

I always used the skidder with a old county v-plow. When i logged for the Co., they kept the roads open with a F350, Boss v-plow.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Bobus2003

I plow with the skidder, Works well.. Put the blade on float and go.. Few guys have a Ex-county V-plows mounted on skidders.. But really most the plowing is done by the Mill with their Road grader..

Maine372

I saw a guy this week with a piece of pipe in place of his cutting edge. he said it kept him from pushing gravel from the driveway into the grassy areas he usually piles snow. he also said it rides over bumps very nicely without tripping the edge.

when my father and his cousin were really moving wood they would move a crawler into the woods and use it to plow snow and pull trucks if necessary. then the skidder could keep moving wood.

snowstorm

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on December 20, 2012, 08:35:38 AM
I put one of those 5/8 x 8in cutting edges on my Fisher.  Works great for parking lots and roads (I usually end up plowing for the town, schools, firehouse, secondary roads), BUT when I had to plow some of our dirt roads that weren't frozen, that edge kept trying to send me throught the window!  In the edge's defence, I didn't have my shoe's on (hey it was either really early or really late).  You sure do get a lot more longevity out of a real edge vs. the ones you get from Fisher!
yes the dirt roads can be a pain. i plow 4miles every storm along with the paved. if the road isnt frozen sometimes i will wait for a little traffic over it. it packs the snow enought for so that the plow doesn't cut in to bad.

thecfarm

I like what the town here does on my dead end dirt road,run the wing down as low as they can to plow the dirt into the field.  ::) and that is going up hill too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

snowstorm

Quote from: thecfarm on December 20, 2012, 08:56:02 PM
I like what the town here does on my dead end dirt road,run the wing down as low as they can to plow the dirt into the field.  ::) and that is going up hill too.
i knew this was going to happen. sometimes its better not to even plow the unfrozen dirt roads. but someone will complain. in maine most road right of ways are 66' 33' from the center. for town roads.so that means they didnt push any dirt into your field  cause you dont own it...same thing with mail box. you or anyone dose not own the land it is on. a lot of them are way to close to the road. the contractor or town is not responsible for mailboxes that get hit.........state law

bill m

It's only 33 ft. from the center if the road happens to be centered in the R.O.W. and not all R.O.Ws. are 66 feet. Some in my town vary from 23 ft. up to 461 ft.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

thecfarm

Well they won't mow it,I asked them, ;D. Must be my land.  ;D  I know they can do what they want with the 33 feet.Last year was the first year they raked the dirt back into the road. Most years I pick it up. You would be shocked at the amount I get each year. I know about the 33 feet. I got involved with our signs out on the state road. Signs have to be 33 feet from the center. This is a narrow dirt road too. Both cars kinda have to go into the ditch when meeting. And yes,we have a complainer.  :( Glad he's away from me. When the town plows the so called main road 4 times,they would only come up here 2 times. been that way for years. Well the complainer thought they should come up here every time. Went to the town meeting and got his way.

g_man

I plow a mile of road that was a haul road that I turned into a driveway. I use a Ram 350 one ton dump 4X4 with a 9' fisher. I keep 500 lbs of weigh over the rear axles. I plow alot wider than the roadway because it closes in. To start the season I can't just drop the blade and go. Have to build a good hard packed snow road first. Starting out the season I pick the plow up a little so it doesn't dig in and then back drag what I left. I do this until I have a hard flat wide surface. Then I'm good to go until we get a thaw. It is a lot of fiddleing around to start. We get a lot of ice also, in the spring or if it rains. I don't sand but studded tires work fine on the P/U and wifes CRV.

cutter88

thats all we ever used was and old loadstar international single axle with weight in the back and an old wore out set of truck chains on the drives and a set on the steers lol worked just fine
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Ironwood

Nice "driveway to come home to G_man..

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

snowstorm

after 2 noreasters within a couple days i ave decided i miss my big truck. the f550 works real well most of the time. but when the wind blow 35 to 40 and the snow drifts its not quite big enought. then its time for the international. appleton ridge or little Siberia as i call it can get pretty wild. its the highest point of land for several miles and its all blueberry fields. so there is nothing to stop the snow from all drifting into the road. yesterday there were 3 to 4' drifts half across the road. now i have snow banks 6 to 7' high. i shelf it then the snow will blow over the road and not build up in it

Tree Killer

When ever i have plowed roads for jobs i used my F-250 with a Boss 9 ft. V plow. About 500lbs in the bed. And most of the time a good set of chains on the front.

Thank You Sponsors!