iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Please tell me about this

Started by rick f, January 23, 2013, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick f

Ok not the best picture to show it but what is the clamp on the side of the blade for ?

I have a guess but i'm not sure.

Thanks rick

664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Ken

It's for picking up an extra tree on the way out the trail.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

rick f

Thank you, Ken that is what I was thinking. I see them in for sale ads in Canada. What are they called or is it just a tree clamp?
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Andrew Lawrence

could you use it for a de-limber?
Lawrence Lot Clearing Logging                            To God be the glory

gwilson

There are some Youtube skidding videos which show a skidder carrying 3 or 4 logs out on the blade. Cant recall the video name though.

thecfarm

I was at a show in Bangor,ME. I asked the guy what it was. In a French accent he told me that was a de-limber. Than he said some have them on both sides. The one I saw had hyd lines to it. can't really tell on that one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

UN Hooker

Also notice the shape of the blade,it's different than regular blades. I built my blade similar, only I use mine to lift logs that are frozen to the ground so Hooker can throw her choker under them.     UN

Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

bushmechanic

I believe they are called recuperators and used to pick up lost lost trees that come out of the chokers on the way out. 

Okrafarmer

Neat idea. But then, I guess the log rubs against your tires all the way to the landing.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Ed_K

I figured they were for lifting to apply chocker and alignment on landing,move to diff. sort pile.
Ed K

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Ed_K on January 25, 2013, 08:14:37 AM
I figured they were for lifting to apply chocker and alignment on landing,move to diff. sort pile.

Probably could be used for that, too.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

ST Ranch

Hello all -First off I am going to talk about skidding single leader softwoods and not multi-leader hardwood.
This devise could also be used for setting up trees along the skid trail when falling herringbone to skid trails in a partial cut.
I have a triangular tooth on the bottom corner of each side of my 6-way blade on my D37E crawler that I use for this. How I use it is -  when I am heading up the trail from the landing, I turn off the trail a bit, and retrieve the trees  that don't quite make it to the trail when falling.  I hook [or with this clamp grab] the tree top with the tooth and sqeeze it up to the C-frame and pull the tree back onto the trail so that the top lays across the trail. I then usually drive over the tree top and try to break the tip off [at about 4 inches in diameter] and break off some of the limbs so facilitate hooking the choker.  I will do this to all the felled trees as I move up the skid trail toward the back end of the setting. I turn around at the end of the trail and start down the trail with the mainline running out [after hooking the first tree in the drag to keep the mainline tight]  and hook up a drag of 10 or so trees.  - Basically this saves me stopping and pulling a choker and mainline out to each tree that did not reach the trail when falling.  Saves a lot of time and pulling mainline!!!!
Sorry if this is a bit long winded.  I would also expect the grapple would be real handy picking up strays on the landing or tops and slash - help keep the dirt out of the landing slash pile.  Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Thank You Sponsors!