iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Processing pine

Started by Larry, October 15, 2009, 09:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I'm thinking about milling yellow pine into car siding for interior paneling.  Few questions.

Does it need to be kiln dried?

Does the pitch need to be set before running through a dual drum sander?  If so what temperature and how long?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

pineywoods

Quote from: Larry on October 15, 2009, 09:15:25 AM
I'm thinking about milling yellow pine into car siding for interior paneling.  Few questions.

Does it need to be kiln dried?

Does the pitch need to be set before running through a dual drum sander?  If so what temperature and how long?

If you don't kiln dry, just about guaranteed it will shrink after you install it.
If the pitch ain't set, be prepared for a mess of gummed up sand paper.. when you run it through the sander...been there, done that..not fun..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

red oaks lumber

dido what pineywoods said
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Den Socling

And, if you set the pitch too low temperature-wise, a sunny day and a window could make a sticky mess. You will want to go to 160 or more to get the pitch nice and hard.

Larry

How long do I need to keep it at 160 degrees?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ellmoe

Quote from: Larry on October 15, 2009, 03:46:39 PM
How long do I need to keep it at 160 degrees?

We go for 24 hrs. at temp..
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Thank You Sponsors!