iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

refer truck body kiln

Started by forestry mick, July 28, 2011, 09:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

forestry mick

I am thinking of using an old refer truck body fo a kiln. heat would come from forsed hot air via wood burner and i can mod. the refer unit for a condenser to remove water. any thoughts? any one ever do this before? ???

Den Socling

Welcome to the forum. And sure. Lots of people have built dry kilns in reefers. Go to the top of the page and use the "search" engine. I believe that Kiln Direct may offer a package.

forestry mick

They have some good stuff! just a little out of my budget. Well I think I might try building my own so I can dry during the winter and a solar one for the summer!

kilndirect

Full disclosure, this is Kiln-direct.

We are actively trying to solve the problem supplying companies with sub-5000 bf kiln at a price that make sense for the customer and that allows a kiln manufacturer to make a profit high enough to help get the kiln operational and cover future service.

First we do not believe using a long shipping container make sense -- Only a 20ft insulated ocean going container could make sense.

For the pallet industry we were able to develop a container solution for heat treating pallets and got it right with the third variation.

Most small lumber kiln systems are rated for so many boardfeet of softwood and about twice as much for hardwood. Here are a few examples.

Found a NYLE L300 DH unit "NEW" Ex-factory for $15725
Loading capacity between 2500 - 8000 bf depending on MC% and specie.
Unit has computer Control, 3hp dh compressor, three 1/2hp fan,and Max kiln temperature of 160F
You still have to build chamber and complete wiring.

Found a Nova "TTF-6200" lumber kiln "NEW" at Ex-factory for $28900
This is a complete kiln that I do believe you have to assemble yourself.
No fans spec found, but it does say 148000 BTU/hr heating system.

Found an EBAC MF-2 DH unit "NEW" at Ex-factory for $9580
Loading capacity of 5000 bf
Unit has thermostat control some computer control, 4 circulating fans and Max kiln temp of 140F
You still have to build chamber and complete wiring.

So in comparison from three kiln manufacturer you will have to spend $25000-35000 for a 5000bf kiln. Above informating was used as it is publicly available - below is an example of one attempt to serve this market.

We did sell one 5000bf kiln a few years ago for $23500 (compete kiln with dual heating using hot water and direct gas, heat recovery on power venting, plus integrated MC meter and full computerized controls) - In the end we have basically discontinued this line of Mini Lumber kilns after producing 2 units.

Here is the questions for the forum members:

How much may the kiln components and computerized controls cost before it is too expensive to consider for a 5000bf  and 2500 bf kiln

Would forum members prefer to have a hot water heated kiln or all electric?

This help Kiln-direct understand what the market is willing to pay and if the is any to serve the market with a system that is mutually beneficial to both the seller and buyer.

jdtuttle

QuoteHow much may the kiln components and computerized controls cost before it is too expensive to consider for a 5000bf  and 2500 bf kiln
That's a tough question & I think a simple answer is, it depends on your resources. I built an 800 BF kiln using the Sauno unit from Logosol, $2300 invested. I like it enough to know I would like a 3000 to 5000 BF kiln. But the cost has me looking for alternatives. I'm pretty slow at making decisions until I research alternatives. What I'm looking for are components & then build my own chamber. I will use SIP panels for side walls & ceiling, covered with metal. Poured concrete insulated floor & carts on rails. I think I can do this for $12,000 or so.
As far as heat source, electric or hot water it depends on cost of electricity, do you currently have a wood boiler or gas?
So Kiln Direct let me know when you come up with an affordable package. I'm not in a hurry, maybe a year or two :)
Jim
Have a great day

Den Socling

hello kilndirect,

We appreciate your input but that post is marketing research. Not good.

Den

Thank You Sponsors!