iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

training

Started by thedeeredude, September 19, 2005, 05:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

I have a chance to go to logger training through the PA SFI.  It is about a half hour away from me, so it's not like it's a big drive.  I would like to get into logging, or at least learn safe tree felling.  What's your opinions? ???

Dan_Shade

Do you have to pay for it?  If so, can you afford it?

Do you have time for it?

If you want to do work with trees, and you can afford to take it, both time wise and money wise, I'd jump all over it. 

My only reserve would be I've had a LOT of worthless training, so always apply the common sense that God gave you before doing anything, and try to understand the prinicples of safe workmanship, and get all the advise and information you can about any subject.

Maybe a few guys here have had the specific training you have had and can comment on it.  I'd sure like to be able to take a few classes like that.

Is it state sponsored?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Gunny

Go for it!  Especially note ALL safety precautions and really, really learn to look for and be aware of all the things that are just waiting to maim and/or kill you out in those woods (like those shadowy widow-makers that come dropping at your feet from time to time).

Be sure to pay lots of attention to the bore-cutting procedures--to include the wing-cuts--since I've found that's the best way I ever ran into to get a tree on the ground in a hurry without any concerns at all over barberchairing, etc. 

Once the tree's down, you've got to beware of springpoles, tensions, etc.  I hope the program allows enough time to cover most everything. Two of my neighbors have been in the ground a long time from their tractors flipping over on them while "logging" and a few more have severed arteries while deep in the timber.  Take those images with you to the program.

But, truth be told, there's nothing better than about a six-month's apprenticeship with one of the old dogs out there in the woods.  He (or maybe even "she") will show you little tricks of the trade no seminar could ever hope to do. 

I read some time ago that the man on the ground with a chainsaw was becoming a very rare commodity and might soon be very highly sought after all over NA.  From some of the recent pics shown here on the FF, that time seems to ne NOW.

Can't say enough about SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY.  Don't ever want my kids or g-kids on the backend of my saw.  Scary place to be, even after 35 or so years.  They can run the kilns.  (If any of them stay "country", that is.)  Enjoy your time.  Sounds like something I should have done in the waybackwhen.  Oh, and BE SAFE!

timberjack240

im from pa and i work for my pap and the sawmill he works for offers the classes and i got to tag along  ::) we ddidnt have to pay for it so im not sure if you have to pay for it or not. it definately isnt the most excitin thing in the world but i gess its a good to have the classes

Ron Scott

I recommend it for anyone having an interest in working in the woods.  :P
~Ron

hardwood

The worst that can happen is they will cover material you already know. On the other hand, you might just learn a few things that will save your life!

BTW, PA SFI is also sponsoring the Game of Logging I and II sessions soon, and those are highly recommended.

David_c

I would also say go for it. I take the classes offerd by the New Hampshire timber havesting council. Some i find to be very boring but i take the advanced felling class every spring that i find very usful allways learn something there. Good luck and BE Safe

Bro. Noble

Even if the meeting turned out to be boring and too basic,  chances are you would learn enough from others that attend to make it worth your time.  Might make some good contacts and friends. :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

thedeeredude

Well thanks all,
  I can get the money to pay for it and its not like I cant take the time out, so I think I'm gonna do it.  I don't know much about chainsaws and felling with them so I hope this will teach me a lot.  I'll let you guys know how it went.

Dan_Shade, yeah its state sponsered by http://www.loggertraining.com/

Frank_Pender

Just remember, that a man with an experience is never at the mercy of an argument. :P
Frank Pender

Bro. Noble

Frank,

That's pretty deep for me,  but I know not to argue with a guy that's wielding a chainsaw ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

bitternut

So Dude where are you going to take the course? What level are you taking and what are the costs? Always wanted to take the courses myself but just never seemed to do it.

thedeeredude

Well, I'm taking em where they're closest, which is at a local sawmill.  The one's I'm taking are environmental logging and logging safety, $55 each.  I'll give a report back on what they're like.

Cedarman

You should not only be learning safety (most important), but also efficiency and proper cutting and bucking to keep from wasting wood.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Frickman

thedeeredude,

The two classes you mentioned are good, but they're only classroom work. Try to take Game of Logging, all four levels. Even if you're an old pro you can learm a few things from the other students. Soren Erickson built the program by learning from his students and other loggers, the program wasn't in the form it is now right away.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!