iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Men with guns

Started by Peter Drouin, January 07, 2016, 06:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Came to see me at the mill. NH forest and lands. [ Tree cops] :D :D Remember this summer I had a trucker want a $50 finders fee to find some Hemlock. Well the job He got the Hemlock  from had a little trouble. The cops did not go into it with me about the logger.
They wanted to know how much Hemlock I bought from that job. So after a talk they were happy with my answers. I do keep ALL the paperwork for every log I buy.
So I made some calls. And it looks like a skidder was repoed and some R Oak on the neighbor's land is missing. ::)
Looks like a mess. So the moral of the story is to keep good records of all the truckloads you buy.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

47sawdust

Very good advice Peter.I remember the story and something didn't smell right all the way over here in Vermont.Glad you had the paperwork.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

fishfighter

Yep, had a shady logger that was clear cutting next to my place. Just so happen that I made a pass. Sucker clear cut close to 10 ac on my place. Never saw a dime for them or the land owners next to me. >:(

Buck

How long ago? Let the Forestry investigators with LDAF bring them to justice.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Buck on January 07, 2016, 08:25:51 PM
How long ago?

Back in October.
When you work for yourself, you have to get good truckers and loggers to work with you.
People that do what they say they're going to do and when.
Then do it. It has been a bumpy road sometimes. But I'm finding the good ones.
This logger and trucker were a one time deal.
go_away :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WV Sawmiller

Peter,

I'm a little lost (not an unusual condition) about the title of this thread. Are you talking about the tree cops having guns or what? If the guy was truly stealing the logs I hope your records help convict him. I keep very detailed records on my expenses although I have never bought logs. My records are just for taxes.

I wonder how often a trucker ends up hauling stolen logs without even knowing it? Not sure whether most truckers are independent contractors or work for the logger.

I would assume if a logger deliberately poaches lumber he and/or the forester supervising the job would be held liable for the costs to the landowner. Along the same lines not sure how you would be compensated for other than the cost of the logs/lumber. Many of my trees are more valuable to me for recreation (wildlife mast trees and such) than the value of the lumber they could produce.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

rasman57

Most states use the Law Enforcement men and women in the Department of Natural Resources, Dept. of Conservation, Wardens, etc for protection and enforcement.   

Even though they often are thought of as game wardens or hunting and fishing cops, they often have a much wider scope of protecting natural resources and identifying offenders who make it bad for all of us.   They often run up against armed poachers, thieves, unethical and downright dangerous offenders in places where the average person would be looking for help. 

Having spent 30 years in state police law enforcement and criminal investigation, I was assisted and rescued more than once by game wardens, fish cops, tree cops, crick dicks etc.  Professional brave hardworking folks trying to do the right thing.  Like any job exceptions exist and bad local experiences always make the coffee shop or taverns.  Day to day good stuff... not so much. 

I am glad they are out there doing their jobs protecting the resources and keeping folks like Peter and us from getting jammed up over some idiot trying to make money the wrong way.  We all see what happens if natural resources are a free for all.   I am not sure about tree stuff but any hunter can tell you about that.

Peter was the kind of guy you want when sorting out the good from the bad.  Good records and willing to help.  He has it right!     

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 08, 2016, 09:31:42 AM
Peter,

Are you talking about the tree cops having guns.
[/quote

Yes, I never had them here before. But they are always welcome to come over.

rasman57, I am a friend of law enforcement.  One of my sons is in the sheriff department. And I'm a good friend of the police chief and fire chief in town. The 10 years I spent in the fire department might have something to do with It.  :D :D
And thank you for your 30 years.

Quote from: rasman57 on January 08, 2016, 11:15:52 AM

Peter was the kind of guy you want when sorting out the good from the bad.  Good records and willing to help.  He has it right!     

Thanks for that, I try.

I will say I don't think the trucker knew what was going on. But, I'm not sure.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Sixacresand

Police carry guns for their protection so they can go home each night.  They never know how people will react to them.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!