iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodworking fourms?

Started by aburnette165, October 09, 2017, 08:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aburnette165

Whats the best woodworking forum? Any forums as good as this one but mainly on wood working? thanks

Dan_Shade

If you have any questions, post them in the woodworking board.  Membership here contains several  amateur woodworkers as well as a few pros.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Brad_S.

I used to frequent this one and it was very good. I haven't done so in many years though.

Sawmill Creek woodworking community
https://www.sawmillcreek.org/
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

woodworker9

Probably a good question to ask is what you want to get from a woodworking forum.

I used to participate at Sawmill Creek, too, but it has turned into a hobbyist machine forum with a lot of discussions regarding who makes the best chisel and 1,000,000 workbench build threads.......no thanks.

I believe the OWWM forum, which is mostly a machine's forum, also has the very best woodworking forum online, if you want to learn something.  It has a large number of professional woodworkers and amateur woodworkers alike, and it has a very friendly attitude towards newbie questions.  In fact, we encourage it, and often post "how to" on most of the basic woodworking topics.  You will see a wide range of furniture and cabinetry building going on there, as well, with some extremely well decorated professionals posting their work.

I would compare it to the old "Knots" forum from 20 years ago, back when Fine Woodworking Magazine was still a good magazine for professionals, and not about selling junk asian made tool advertising.  That was a great forum with a lot of same guys, only 20 years younger, posting frequently.  Very feisty forum back then, which is not allowed at all at OWWM.

My .02, and not a slight at all for the woodworking forum here.  Most of the projects shown here are more of the homeshop variety, although there's some really cool stuff, too.

Like I said, I guess it really depends on what you want to see.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

TKehl

BTW, you have to be logged in to OWWM to see their woodworking forum. 

Just machine info is fully public.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

aburnette165

Engineer

I like Sawmill Creek and LumberJocks.  This one too, but it does not see nearly as much activity.  I used to be a very active member of FWW Knots, as well as Fine Homebuilding's forum, but when they changed their format (which was highly objected to by most of the membership), I quit.  Couldn't read or follow it very well after that.

Did not know there was an actual woodworking forum on OWWM.  Have been a member there for years, too.  Have to check it out.

low_48

I still look at Sawmillcreek, but won't participate. I don't like the censorship and protective attitude they take with Grizzly Machinery there. I often wonder if Grizzly isn't the real owner. I was banned once for 6 months. They said I wasn't friendly, I say it was because I kept telling people about a bad bandsaw I got from Grizzly when someone asked about their machine quality. My opinion is backed up with the fact that Grizzly won't even sell me or my wife anything. She ordered some guitar pickups off Amazon. It was fulfilled by Grizzly and they sent her an email saying they preferred to not sell anything to our household.            I prefer Woodcentral.  Not as active, but Ellis runs a very open group!

Ed

Woodnet is another....some very talented people there that are willing to help.

It has become a more friendly place than years past, the troublemakers are long gone.

Ed

hturner12

Quote from: Engineer on October 13, 2017, 01:38:24 PM
I like Sawmill Creek and LumberJocks.  This one too, but it does not see nearly as much activity.  I used to be a very active member of FWW Knots, as well as Fine Homebuilding's forum, but when they changed their format (which was highly objected to by most of the membership), I quit.  Couldn't read or follow it very well after that.

Did not know there was an actual woodworking forum on OWWM.  Have been a member there for years, too.  Have to check it out.
Owwm has a non  Asian machine policy
Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

Thank You Sponsors!