iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old circle mill

Started by gms1911, December 21, 2017, 07:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gms1911

Looking to purchase an old circle mill. Not to many around that are still complete. I'm looking at an American #1. Not sure of the age. But the carriage, husk and track are all steal. It's been left out in the weather and is fairly rusty. The mandrel, blade guides, blade and bearings are missing. Along with the dogs and belts. It does have an old Minneapolis moline engine with pto that is probably just scrap now. Pto might be salvageable.

My main questions are.....
Are there parts available?
Could I use Frick parts? Or other manufacturers?
Would frick or other dogs be interchangeable? Mandrel, bearings and guides swap between mills?

I built my own band mill. So having to do some engineering, design and manufacturing is not a problem. But it's almost always easier to buy a part then try and design test and build your own.

Thanks for any input.

ddcuning

When I replaced my Frick 00 mandrel, none were available. I had to have it made at a machine shop including the new collars. Bearings were available though since the originals were Timken. I am not sure about availability of parts for an American mill but suggest doing online searches. If you could find original specs and drawings for parts, you could have them reproduced at a machine shop.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

gms1911

I've been all over the web. Found some folks that make frick parts. Can find very little on the americans.

Seen your videos on YouTube.  Great job rebuilding the double 0.

ddcuning

Thanks and glad you enjoyed the videos.   :)

Even on the Frick's, parts are not available on the 00. Some available for the 0 and more are available for the 01 models. I was hoping maybe you could find something on the Americans. If you could find someone that has an American with a mandrel that is in good shape, you might could get dimensions from it and see if anything from Frick would be compatible or use the dimensions to make new components.

Dave C

ddcuning

Looking at the American sawmills brochure on Vintage Machinery, it shows the mandrel on the #1 was 2-3/16" which is the same as the Frick 00. This would mean that you could probably use a Frick 00 mandrel, bearings, bearing housings and bearing supports and if you could find the pulleys from the American mill, you could adapt the 00 mandrel to the American. Hope this helps.

Dave C

Reddog sawmill

Sounds like you would need to but another complete mill to get the parts you need to fix the mill you are looking at. Keep an eye on craigslist for the price it would take to fix that mill you could buy another that is fully operational. Been there done that thats why i have 2000 lbs of scrap iron in my yard now that used to be a farquahr circle mill in my yard now. I may get it put together one day...

gms1911

That's what kept me from buying a difference mill. It was a good price but by the time I spent and money I would spend I could buy a running mill. I think this one may be to far gone for me also.

TKehl

I've searched a lot as well.  Frick seems to be one of the only ones that some OEM parts are still available for. 

However, it's worth looking at this one further with the steel track etc.  There are a lot of old mills out there on very rotted wood.  Not a lot of decent ones on steel though.  Getting this one and another may make a lot of sense, but it depends on price and location. 

Are just the dogs missing, or the Ells as well? 

Since you are missing the mandrel, bearings, and blade, you could install new Frick parts on the husk, but those parts would probably cost more than the whole rig.  Better to adapt other used parts. 

Engine probably not worth pursuing unless it's a diesel.  Probably has value to a tractor collector though.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

bandmiller2

GMS, I would pass on that one unless its real cheap and then only for parts. There are more old mill around than you think, keep looking. The big items are the saw and arbor and a good engine preferably a diesel. A good saw with bits and shanks, still available, is of upmost importance. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dgdrls

Lots of old mills out there, problem is they're old and have been out there too long :(

If your looking for a project, that's one thing,  if you want a circle to saw with right away thats another.

I would stick with a mill builder thats still around in some capacity,

good luck

D

gms1911

It's cheap. Under 1k. There's a frick on CL. That looks like someone took apart and never put back together. Maybe I could get the two and make one. Dave. Thanks for the info about vintage machine. I'll check it out.

TKehl

At less than $1k, sounds like a deal.  Probably would have more than that in the metal if you redid a wood framed one.  And if you resale the motor for a few hundred...  The 2 or 3 into 1 sounds very doable starting with this one. 

When I first started looking at mills, parts availability was a key factor.  Now... not so much.  There aren't a lot of wear items that can't be reworked.  Even broken castings can be either brazed or have a new one cast (Cattail foundry).  The most complicated item is the setworks and you do want to make sure that it will be usable even if it has to be soaked to free it up.  The members at OWWM (Old Wood Working Machines) are experienced and helpful with any old American "arn".  And anything associated with wood or metal working is right in their wheelhouse.  They are also affiliated with VintageMachine.org.

If I was counting on this mill for a living... whole 'nother story.  Parts availability much more important.   
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

moodnacreek

Never saw a steel  American but I have a brochure for one. If it has pillow block style mandrel it's  really just $ to get one made up. The n0.1 Americans on wood where 2 3/16 dia. but the steel model may have been 2 7/16.  If you find a used one check it for straightness and collar wobble  and collar taper. 

Thank You Sponsors!