iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quaking Apen uses?

Started by JasonV, June 08, 2009, 09:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonV

I will be clearing some land for my log home this summer and have quite a few quaking aspen (locally called quaking ash) that are pretty big.  Are there any preferred uses for this wood?  My father-in-law has had some cut into boards and built a hay wagon with it (he's sure to keep it covered).  How about indoor applications.   Thanks!

FTD

I'm burning mine for firewood.  Does that count as indoor application?! ;D

Sprucegum

Quaking Aspen is a poplar popular for use in indoor furniture. if you rip apart your couch the wood holding up all the cushion is probably poplar.

chucker

makes great v grove paneling ....
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Jeff

Here is a link to a company that used much of the grade aspen I used to saw. We sold it to Aspen Lumber Company, which was owned by Khoury

http://www.khouryfurniture.com/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodmills1

quaking aspen known as poplar around here is good for paint grade applications like trim and moulding.  I did make an entertainment center out of it years ago and it stayed white white till the urethane started to go a little yellow.  It still looks good.  It is very easy to work, but it is not the yellow poplar I used to get in W Va.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Woodcarver

Also used in the construction of "log" furniture: http://www.thetwistedtimber.com/
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

SwampDonkey

Makes great dry kindling for fire starting in the cook stove or furnace. My uncle uses it as such, burns hardwood for the main fire or course.  ;D Used to sell some here for veneer. Of course there is always the pulpwood market.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ed

I'll recommend just one thing when cutting Quaking Aspen. Go buy a full skip chain for your saw.
It's a very soft/wet wood that will plug up the space between the cutters on the saw chain, bogging it down. The full skip gives twice as much space for the chips to ride in before they exit the cut.
Makes all the difference in the world.
After the branches are appx. 8" or larger, skip is the way to go.
I've found the same when cutting Cottonwood.

Ed

JasonV

mad murdock

Wisconsin Veneerand Plywood Co. in Mattoon, Wisc. used to buy it for veneer core material in plywood production.  but that was the yellow poplar spceies.  used to pay 250/mbf for the stuff.  When I was in High School, I built a dog sled from poplar, very light, and very strong.  was a great sled.  It dioes make beautiful tongue and groove paneling.  it is a very strong wood for some applications, the grain structure is long and has alot of flex to it.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

beenthere

mad murdock
Might not have been yellow poplar in WI. More likely it was aspen, oft times referred to as 'popple' and thus confused with poplar i.e. yellow poplar.  A lot of local variations of the terms.

Was involved with a study once to peel aspen for sheathing grade plywood. The results of the study ended up having so much clear face veneer that the sheathing idea was scrapped in favor of producing aspen panelling. It was a beautiful product.
Tying up a supply of aspen aparently killed the project, but understand there are Canadian mills producing aspen plywood right along.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

It's at the core of a lot of plywood sold here. I can smell it when cutting it on the table saw, aspirin smell to it. They were buying it for as much as $160 a cord, I think the mill burnt 6 years ago that made it at Mirimichi. They had a local wood yard near here where they gathered it and trucked it over to the mill. It would be a 3-3.5 hour haul from here. They wanted it chalk white, no conk. Knots didn't matter.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

critter

It"s funny that swamp dounkey said that popual made good kindling
   cause my father told me that back when old steam mills /potartabels
  would set on a stream or creek they never would set on a popual stand
   cause they cut the large trees  and used them for piles or knees to
  set the mill on he said the mill would burn before the job was done
  just old New hamshire /Maine folklore dad was and old sawyer there
  /logger for most life

Thank You Sponsors!