iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

help with log/lumber I.D. please

Started by E-Tex, October 20, 2019, 01:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E-Tex

customer brought this old log in to mill.  making a large, LE patio table.  can you help with the I.D. please?

LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Don P

Mainly to bump it back up. I think its a box elder.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

xlogger

I agree with Danny on sweetgum. Let us know if it stays flat.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

E-Tex

when he dropped it off, he thought it was a SG.  When I cut into it, I thought it was SG.  Thanks for confirming.

He actually was hoping it was SG.  He's built a couple tables out of it successfully.  He has a kiln and wide jointer and planer.....we "oversized it" (I hope enough).

It's all cut up and his now  :)

thanks for the help!
L2 Sawmill LLC

Don P

E-Tex

box elder....sweetgum.
      what's the difference!!!!!   ;D :o
L2 Sawmill LLC

WDH

You bumped it right the 2nd time ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sawmiller1960

. Box elder and sweet gum are two totally different species. Break off a green limb and smell. If it is box elder it will STINK.

Sawmiller1960

Even dry box elder will stink if you put a little water on it. The  box elder I sawed in the pass had red streaks through it. Very interesting color streaks but it stinks too much to use for anything but pallet material. It is also very soft.

E-Tex

SG vs BE difference!

ummmmmm, that was meant for humor.  not an actual question!
L2 Sawmill LLC

Don P

They both have green leaves. That's about as close as I got :D

WDH

Don P

Box elder, the other sweetgum ;D
What "confirmed" my mis id was the small red/pink stripe in one of the pics. I've seen the heavy red flame in Box Elder that Sawmiller spoke of, really pretty, I guess its Box Elder's form of ambrosia.

Thank You Sponsors!