Sponsors:

Paper wasps

Started by beenthere, July 26, 2012, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH_Conley

Bill

Patty

Awesome photos Beenthere! Be careful.

This reminds me of when my brother and I decided to destroy a big bumblebee colony in our barn. I was around 10 and he 7 years old at the time.We armed ourselves with wooden lathes about 3' long and proceeded to dig out and slap at the nest with our "swords". Big mistake. (who'da thought  ::) )     A swarm of those bees came flying out of the nest so fast we could barely react. We ran down the center isle of the barn as fast as we could go, bees stinging us like crazy. Of course at the entrance to the barn my dad kept the doors open to allow a breeze, and strung up electric fence to keep the cows in. I crawled over pretty fast, but my poor brother got tangled up in the fence. So there he was ... angry bees swarming over him stinging like crazy while getting shocked with the electric fence. Of course big sister rescued him and he lived to tell the story to our mom.  ::)   It is a wonder we live through our child hoods isn't it.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Chuck White

A badminton racket works better than a stick!

Bigger surface area and "square" bees can't fly!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Riggs

Quote from: beenthere on July 31, 2012, 09:08:37 PM
Ithinking the 12ga at about 10 yards would do the most damage. Shoot and run!!

Little closer than 10 yards, more like 10 feet, there will be nothing left. I took one out a week or so ago in an azalea bush. No need to run. For really big nests, two shots, get the bottom half with the first shot, top half with the second.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

OneWithWood

I have this pile of sand left over from the foundation work on the saw barn addition.  It is riddled with 2" holes.  One of the guys from the city said he saw a number of really big bees entering and exiting the pile.  Form his description it sound like what we have always called bull hornets.
Anyone know anything about these bees/hornets?
I think I won't be going anywhere near that pile until the first hard freeze  :o
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Cypressstump

Quote from: OneWithWood on August 01, 2012, 12:39:17 PM
One of the guys from the city said he saw a number of really big bees entering and exiting the pile.  Form his description it sound like what we have always called bull hornets.

Onewithwood,,, you might outghta roust them bees up and take a picture of them so we can see what they are,,,, better yet, have someone video you rousting them bees up for us...... ::) ::)
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

WDH

You don't "roust" bees  :D.  That is not a good plan.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cypressstump

Quote from: WDH on August 01, 2012, 08:17:26 PM

Been a while since I've seen someone leading the pack on a herd of bees.............. ::)
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

chain

Beenthere...please..do not destroy that beautiful creation! Those hornet's nest have value in nature stores, gunshops, gunshows etc. they are truly considered a 'trophy', I have a couple nests hanging around the cabin. Just wait until freezing weather comes they will all leave or die out, the trick is to not damage the nest when taking it down.

OneWithWood

Quote from: Cypressstump on August 02, 2012, 07:49:18 AM
Quote from: WDH on August 01, 2012, 08:17:26 PM

Been a while since I've seen someone leading the pack on a herd of bees.............. ::)

...and it will be an eternity before you see me trying to outrun 'rousted' bees.   :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

beenthere

Chain
I should put it up for sale?  Craigslist or eBay?  Maybe a requirement that I won't ship it, and they need to pick it up ?  :)  Will pass on the suggestion that they will first need to be "rousted".  ;D

Late yesterday pic showing more progress. About doubled in size in a week.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

Duck Dynasty had a episode about the Boys trying to capture one of these nests. Quite funny. They used or tried to use a shop vac running off a generator.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Cypressstump

That nest is a work of natures art !

I have taken one down during winter once, way too long ago, when I was in jr high school. We cut the limb gently,,,, VERY gently  ;) and placed the nest inside two large plastic garbage bags. Sprayed a bunch of Black Flag bug spray inside the bag , taped it up and brought it inside the shop to warm up. Them hornets went nuts for a while, and died off fairly quickly. Few days later took out the nest without any live critters to sting.
I brought it to school for a science project and it stayed there longer then I did, thankfully.! When I left for high school it was still in the science building.

I imagine a nature center of sorts would love to have one for display.
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

Ron Scott

Yes, also with the great pictures documenting its habitat location and building growth.
~Ron

Cypressstump

Quote from: Ron Scott on August 02, 2012, 03:25:39 PM
Yes, also with the great pictures documenting its habitat location and building growth.

An also include the video of the guy running feverishly, you know the unlucky soul who 'rousted' that nest...... :D
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

doctorb

How far is the nest from where you live or commonly work or play?  Are the hornets bothering you in any way, except by their potential for harm?  If they aren't, I'd tackle them in winter, if it was my butt on the line.   Saving the nest is nice, but I look at it as a secondary bonus to ridding yourself of those hornets.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

JohnW

The nest is not permanent.  It's just a summer thing.  Check out the article in wikipedia.  They say gone by winter.  I'd bet they will be gone by the end of the month.  We have some of those around here.  Most nests I find are empty.

beenthere

The nest is about 25' from our entry door, but the only inconvenience will be mowing the lawn under it. It is about 6-7' off the ground. I placed a sign to warn that it is there.

I get about 5' to it for pics.
Here is this afternoon's pic, with yet another layer being added and yesterday's layer nearly closed on the entry.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chain

Over the years, we've had a number of woodsy individuals that roam the forests for oddities of nature. Recently, some go through the woods on horseback seeking ginseng, mushrooms, rocks, rattlesnakes [rattler skins and rattlers really big at Rondevous] and many collect the hornet nests.

beenthere

Nearly finished yesterdays' layer and another started on the back side.
No increase in activity when I am around the nest. But then I don't get closer than about 5' either.

south central Wisconsin

Sprucegum

Those kind of nests are common in our woods, the bears love'm and rip into every one they find. In the early summer I usually whack 3 or 4 around the camp. I try to get them as soon as they are started - only one bee to contend with then.

One day when you are taking a photo a bee will fly right in your face but not sting you. That's your warning you are in their territory, make any moves or noise and he will call out the troops...

beenthere

The layers continue, at about one per day.
I have daily pics, but will just post the one from yesterday. Also, found a second nest near my walnut field. Stirred them up a couple weeks ago picking boulders out with my FEL, and thought it was a ground nest. But yesterday noticed a paper hanging nest of the bald-head hornets. I may try out the shotgun blast on that one, to see how/if it works. :)

south central Wisconsin

submarinesailor

Quote from: beenthere on August 08, 2012, 01:46:14 PM
I may try out the shotgun blast on that one, to see how/if it works.

I use #9 bird shot from about 15 yards.  3 shots, turn and walk away very slowly.....that's if they aren't after you. :D :o :o :o :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

Texas Ranger

Hope you're fast on your feet, or have a really tight choke.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doctorb

If it's hanging in a tree that's accessible, I might shoot that one from my truck and roll up the window afterwards so I could watch.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Thank You Sponsors!