iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is burning Sweet Gum advisable?

Started by LaneC, January 29, 2019, 10:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaneC

I just had quite a few sweetgum trees cut from a piece of land I have and I hate to see it go to waste. Is it advisable to burn it in fireplaces, or wood stoves? I know it will have to dry, and I am pretty sure it will pop a good bit, but will it build up inside the chimney or stove pipe? As usual, all comments are appreciated.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Southside

It won't give you heat like oak will, but it burns just fine for me and has never caused a chimney issue. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Rebarb

Never had any problems burning it but it's a pain to split.....it actually tears.

E Yoder

Same here with black gum. Different species but I think the wood is similar. Brutal to split. Burns decent.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

LaneC

pineywoods

Be prepared to deal with a lot of ashes. Burns ok, but a cubic foot of wood will make a cubic foot of ashes.. ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

TKehl

Does fine if it's dry.  Like Elm, it's a pretty good sponge and has fewer BTU per volume to make up for it.  As such it needs to be drier than you can get away with on an Oak or Hickory, but if dry, it's fine.

Just don't bother splitting it.   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

LaneC

Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated. I never really looked in this category before, but just like in all the other ones, yall are a big help, and thanks again. If the smoke smelled like it does when cutting, that would be good :D

Thank You Sponsors!