iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husky enuff?

Started by turningfool, December 23, 2006, 06:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turningfool

i have a husqvarna 365 with a 36" bar/chain..i was wondering whrther its gutsy enought tohandle a 72 " bar temporarily..i have a monster oak to drop and the 36 just plain aint gonna cut it..it is well maintained and runs like a champ with the 36..but certainly dont want to mess it up ..they dont give huskys away :)

sawguy21

Where are you gonna find a 72" bar? ;D Even a 36" is a lot on your saw. I liken it to towing a big gooseneck travel trailer with a 6 cylinder half ton, it will hook up but don't ask it to go far. You need to work from both sides of the tree, a "west coast" full wrap handle makes this a lot easier and safer.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

Furby said he's got one, but no functioning saw.  I wonder if that means anything. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

MDP

You can cut an awfully big tree with a 36" bar, like sawguy said, you just have to work both sides of the tree. Take your time make sure all your cuts match  be safe and keep the chain real sharp too, if I had to guess a 36" bar might be about the max for that saw. it'll hit the ground no problem.

Mark

Furby

Yup, my bar. :D
I know how it handles on the 3120xp and I'm pretty concerned about messing up TF's 365.
I'm also wondering if one guy can even pick up the 72" with the 365. The 3120 acts as a counter balance. ;D

SwampDonkey

Furby, did you use it on a chainsaw mill, or were you out cutting Doug. Fir and western red cedar in a past life? ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Only time I've actually used the 72" was on the cookies for the piggy roast.
Still working on the slabber. Would rather use a 4 stroke for the slabber, but have been slowly picking up parts for an Alaskan to be used with the 3120 until I can build a real slabber. Almost there on the Alaskan.

Ianab

Having a look at the other post I see your tree measures out about 56", so the 36" bar wont be a problem  :) You can allways trim away some of the butt flare if you need to.

Have a look at this post, it's felling a 52" tree with a 28" bar, and a few diagrams and discussions. As your tree doesn't have much lean you probably dont need to bore cut it, just back cut from both sides and have plenty of wedges in place  ;)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=22582.0

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ironwood

The problem with the 72" bar is deflection. You would need to start a cut with a shorter bar and insert the 72" in after that as the chains like to come off the bigger ones due to deflection when laid sideways to cut. Unless you use a helper handle but ............anyone want to hold the other end of THAT?. Not me!! Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Reid Crosby on December 23, 2006, 10:30:38 PM
...anyone want to hold the other end of THAT?. Not me!! Reid

I was wondering the same exact thing about deflection and holding it. Don't look at me neither for nominations.  :P

Furby

It is VERY hard to keep the nose out of the dirt! :o
Don't have to worry much about kickback though. ;D
Was actually thinking about a bracket that I could pop on and off real fast to hold the belly of the blade when starting a slab cut and then pop it off once the cut is started.

turningfool

you catch on fast swampdonkey

turningfool

the tree in question is in thr forstry/logging section on here..i dont think that the 36 will do it,but i,ve been wrong before!..being in a residential area ,i'd hate to leave it with a foot of solid wood in the middle uncut and have it drop unexpectedly in high winds when there are kids around

Jeff

Why would a 36 not do it?  Our forefathers did it with an ax.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

TexasTimbers

tf,

what ARE the details about the drop? Not the tree; the environment it is in. As you mention kids etc. certainly you aren't considering dropping it without at least 1 ground personell. Are you sure this thing doesn't need to be limbed first? Not  that you can't handle it but to make life easier for you maybe you could find a local arborist who would be willing to take it as aside job for a portion of the wood plus a little coin . . . i.e. a lot less coin that he normally would have to have ???
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SawTroll

Quote from: turningfool on December 23, 2006, 06:53:03 AM
i have a husqvarna 365 with a 36" bar/chain..i was wondering whrther its gutsy enought tohandle a 72 " bar temporarily..i have a monster oak to drop and the 36 just plain aint gonna cut it..it is well maintained and runs like a champ with the 36..but certainly dont want to mess it up ..they dont give huskys away :)

This is just redicilous, even that 36" is far too much on a 365!! smiley_whacko smiley_tom_dizzyguy01

..hopefully the saw on question is a 395, not a 365.....
Information collector.

Ianab

Quote from: turningfool on December 24, 2006, 08:15:58 AM
the tree in question is in thr forstry/logging section on here..i dont think that the 36 will do it,but i,ve been wrong before!..being in a residential area ,i'd hate to leave it with a foot of solid wood in the middle uncut and have it drop unexpectedly in high winds when there are kids around

Yup.. you need a bit of accurate measuring and a plan BEFORE you start. Technically it's possible to drop a tree thats 3 times your bar length, but you have to bore through the hinge wood and hollow out the centre of the tree BEFORE you start the back cut. It's not something you can do later  :o

It's a technically advanced cut, but more practical than waving a 72" bar around on an underpowered saw I think  ;)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Simonian

You are better off leaving the tree alone. Even if it is dead. Cause with your lack of skill, that tree will kill you.
And if it is alive. it has seen too much history to kill for your own personal good. It is like shooting an elephant for sport. Totally point less.
You know what a Redneck says just before he dies?

jokers

Quote from: Simonian on December 24, 2006, 05:21:24 PM
You know what a Redneck says just before he dies?
No, why don`t you tell us?  :D

Sorry Simonian, nothing personal, just that you put that one right out there and I consider it bad karma to walk past sitting ducks.  ;D

Furby

This tree is not a tree, it is a 35' plus stump.
There is ONE dead branch at the top, and I agree, I'd probly take that off before dropping, but is nothing that will really affect the stump.
There is some rot in the butt and I fear there is a fair amount, so that boring the hinge may not be needed. That can be determinded after cutting the notch, like always.
There is plenty of wood there to hold the stump up while the notch is worked on.

Yes, I have read that a 36" bar is too much for a 365, thus my concern for the 72".

Here is a link to the thread with pics for those who have not seen it.
Link

I do have a few more pics, but they are pretty much all the same.

floorboy

Furby,
  If you need a power head I have a 2100cd husky that turns a 32" bar no problem. I would be willing to put that on the ground for gas money. I would love to see that hit the ground. let me know!

Corley5

Don't you have a 3120 Furby  ???  Whatcha waiting for  ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Simonian

watch this

Now that this is not a tree it is a different story. Where I come from any thing that has to be cut with a 72" bar stands over 150 feet tall. and when they fall. Here is a picture Notice the passenger space intrusion

Furby

Yeah, Greg I do.
It's been down since June when I was trying to cut cookies for the roast.
Long story short, it looks like I may get away with some new rings and some honing.
As sone as things settle down with holidays I'll see if I can get her running.

After hefting that thing around with the 72" on it, I really have a hard time beliving we can get a more accurate cut with 72" over a smaller bar. The weight makes delicate jobs difficult.
This isn't brain surgery, but it is important that something this big comes down with out any problems.

turningfool

where are you located floorboy?...would love to see an expert at work! ;D

Thank You Sponsors!