iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rops structure on tractors.

Started by BargeMonkey, January 07, 2018, 08:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeans1

Be glad you are where you are in Oregon you would be under OSHA even non commercial activies of logging are under their control. Here you can't just take an excavator out into the woods, cab must be switched to a forestry cab for operator safety. I have one of the forwarder trailers as well for behind a tractor let's just put it this way our local forestry office saw that and had a talk with us, it's allowed for Christmas tree farm use but not forestry because of the tractor.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Skeans1 on January 15, 2018, 06:54:16 PM
Quote from: John Mc on January 15, 2018, 03:15:24 PM
Quote from: Skeans1 on January 09, 2018, 12:53:13 AM
I'm seeing a big common denominator here use the appropriate tool for the job, a farm tractor is not a skidder or a forestry cat no matter how much guarding ect.

Well, I certainly wouldn't use a farm tractor for some of the stuff you guys might be cutting in the Pacific Northwest. However, a farm tractor is a general purpose tool. Properly set up, it works fine for smaller scale logging in the Northeast, and I'm sure in other parts of the country. It's certainly not a skidder, and won't keep up with one, but it can get the job done. As always, an operator needs to know his/her limitations, as well as those of the equipment they are using.
Out here you couldn't run one out in the brush if you wanted to OSHA would have you shut down and fined before you could say start. I'm not sure how some of your guys rules are everywhere else but I would double check all of them I'd bet a guarded tractor isn't legal.
Still a couple guys around here with a guarded up farm tractor, had one down in the state woods here a few yrs ago cutting pulpwood, our regional DEC used to mark alot of small jobs for the farm tractor /440 guys, all gone now. "Mega sales " now 👎 I want to see OSHA go ticket some of these rigs I see the Amish / farms running up north.
OSHA doesn't hold a candle to MSHA as far as rules and regulations, everyone would be out of business in the forestry game here if those rules where enforced like they are on mining.

John Mc

Barge Monkey - where is "around here". Your profile next to your posts doesn't say. I know you've mentioned it before, but my memory is not what it used to be.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

BargeMonkey

Quote from: John Mc on January 16, 2018, 07:05:25 AM
Barge Monkey - where is "around here". Your profile next to your posts doesn't say. I know you've mentioned it before, but my memory is not what it used to be.
I'm in Schoharie County NY, where the men are men and the sheep run scared 😂 actually a room for Gilboa at the state museum in Albany, oldest trees in the world are from Gilboa plus some other funky fossils, most found during the dam project in 1926. I wasn't that far from you the other day, was up in Wells VT.

Skeans1

That's some beautiful over there on that coast with all the hardwoods just way too many people stuffed into not a lot of area.
Do you guys have export grades of hardwoods? What grades of logs is your guys bread and butter back there?

John Mc

Quote from: Skeans1 on January 16, 2018, 09:13:57 AM
That's some beautiful over there on that coast with all the hardwoods just way too many people stuffed into not a lot of area.

That's true in some parts of the northeast, but if that's all you've seen, you're visiting the wrong places.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

starmac

Well it is true in parts of the north west too, much the same as far as I am concerned.
I have not even heard of osha up here in years, msha is a different story though, but they don't care what we run in the woods.
That said I have never seen a farm tractor in the woods here, but quite a few use dozers with no logging package on them.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

BargeMonkey

Do you guys have export grades of hardwoods? What grades of logs is your guys bread and butter back there?
Have you ever been to NYC ? It's not as bad as they make it out to be. They say we have 32k people in my county, 640 sq miles, still very rural and I'm 1hr to Albany, Oneonta, Kingston, had 14 kids in my graduating class in 01 and that took almost 6 towns, not as crowded as you think.
RO, HM, SM, chase down some softwood. Firewood, pulpwood and lowgrade is how I make any money, fighting the sawmill for stumpage bids is nuts around here now, pay more on the stump than I would sell it to them for.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: BargeMonkey on January 16, 2018, 08:19:04 PM
They say we have 32k people in my county, 640 sq miles,

Sounds crowded.... haha

County I live in is 1300 sq miles and 6700 people and even that gets too crowded sometimes. Lol

Dave Shepard

Quote from: BargeMonkey on January 15, 2018, 10:57:59 PM
I'm seeing a big common denominator here use the appropriate tool for the job, a farm tractor is not a skidder or a forestry cat no matter how much guarding ect.

Well, I certainly wouldn't use a farm tractor for some of the stuff you guys might be cutting in the Pacific Northwest. However, a farm tractor is a general purpose tool. Properly set up, it works fine for smaller scale logging in the Northeast, and I'm sure in other parts of the country. It's certainly not a skidder, and won't keep up with one, but it can get the job done. As always, an operator needs to know his/her limitations, as well as those of the equipment they are using.
Out here you couldn't run one out in the brush if you wanted to OSHA would have you shut down and fined before you could say start. I'm not sure how some of your guys rules are everywhere else but I would double check all of them I'd bet a guarded tractor isn't legal.
Still a couple guys around here with a guarded up farm tractor, had one down in the state woods here a few yrs ago cutting pulpwood, our regional DEC used to mark alot of small jobs for the farm tractor /440 guys, all gone now. "Mega sales " now 👎 I want to see OSHA go ticket some of these rigs I see the Amish / farms running up north.
OSHA doesn't hold a candle to MSHA as far as rules and regulations, everyone would be out of business in the forestry game here if those rules where enforced like they are on mining.

A marble mine VT was fined, by MSHA, $32,000 for not plugging an empty knockout hole in a service panel. They were able to negotiate it down to $15,000.  :-X
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Skeans1

Have you ever been to NYC ? It's not as bad as they make it out to be. They say we have 32k people in my county, 640 sq miles, still very rural and I'm 1hr to Albany, Oneonta, Kingston, had 14 kids in my graduating class in 01 and that took almost 6 towns, not as crowded as you think.
RO, HM, SM, chase down some softwood. Firewood, pulpwood and lowgrade is how I make any money, fighting the sawmill for stumpage bids is nuts around here now, pay more on the stump than I would sell it to them for.
Been to New York City as well as out and out about in the state it's like the Willamette valley here in my eyes, it's not like most parts of the PNW where yes there's the cities but you get out and there's the timber.

Skeans1

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 17, 2018, 02:36:41 PM

A marble mine VT was fined, by MSHA, $32,000 for not plugging an empty knockout hole in a service panel. They were able to negotiate it down to $15,000.  :-X
I'd have to ask a buddy what his fine was when his operator walked out of his tethering cable eye, but I do know they had him shut down for a while with it for investigation.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 17, 2018, 02:36:41 PM

Tickets from Msha start at 10k and go up. We went 6yrs without one, finally we had to take one for principal, guy couldnt leave till he wrote one, got one for a paperwork violation with the secretary. Part of doing business. 👎

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Skeans1 on January 17, 2018, 02:54:03 PM
Been to New York City as well as out and out about in the state it's like the Willamette valley here in my eyes, it's not like most parts of the PNW where yes there's the cities but you get out and there's the timber.
I walk out my back door and go 8 miles before o come to another dirt road. Went to look at some wood with my "pumpkin spice white girl" gf a few months ago up on the state, 7 miles in before we came to the first pile. No amount of money out there to make me trade MY coast for YOUR coast 😂😂😂

John Mc

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on January 16, 2018, 08:55:23 PM
County I live in is 1300 sq miles and 6700 people and even that gets too crowded sometimes. Lol

I thought all you UP guys were hermits anyway?

Skeans1

Quote from: BargeMonkey on January 17, 2018, 09:15:37 PM
I walk out my back door and go 8 miles before o come to another dirt road. Went to look at some wood with my "pumpkin spice white girl" gf a few months ago up on the state, 7 miles in before we came to the first pile. No amount of money out there to make me trade MY coast for YOUR coast 😂😂😂
No way I'd trade my coast or land out here for back there, we both have the same look at it and are both in a liberal state because of the cities which makes life hell. One thing you guys have that we don't is a good freeze so you can go across the creeks in the winter that we can't touch, on my 1000 acres we have a couple fish creeks medium in size that require big buffers of untouchable nice second growth fir.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Skeans1 on January 17, 2018, 11:20:25 PM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on January 17, 2018, 09:15:37 PM
No way I'd trade my coast or land out here for back there, we both have the same look at it and are both in a liberal state because of the cities which makes life hell. One thing you guys have that we don't is a good freeze so you can go across the creeks in the winter that we can't touch, on my 1000 acres we have a couple fish creeks medium in size that require big buffers of untouchable nice second growth fir.
"It" 😂 won NY with 7 counties out of 52 ? Something like that. I'm in a Republican county and because of our proximity to Albany we get punished because of it. Have you seen the video of the people crying during the election ? My brother is a flaming liberal and I send it to him every few weeks, for Christmas all he got was a red hat in the mail. The freeze wont be around for long, already see water bubbling up thru in spots, couple warm days and everyone will be shut down, can't win.

Jeff

I'm about a quote away from disabling the quote function.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

teakwood

I agree with Jeff, if you respond to the last post you don't need to quote that post.  The quote function makes sens if you want to respond to a older post back in the topic so people know what your answering. 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Thank You Sponsors!