iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tool question re: what should be priority?

Started by Grizzly, December 07, 2017, 10:07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bags

Just a thought WLC--- you could build a cheap little 3' X 4' out feed table to butt up to your table saw--- don't have to worry about tip off with your sled.

Don P

For putting an edge on a board I'd be lost with a short jointer like on that combo machine, I'd get a better edge on the tablesaw. For facing a shorter, wider board that jointer looks better than the 6" ones. If shop space is at a premium I've made that outfeed table bags mentioned using a couple of horses built to hold boards on top at tablesaw height. Put the horses back there, lay on a row of 1x lumber and I have a quick outfeed table. A friend recently bought my style of 15" planer on Craigslist for $500, so far so good, I paid $1200 for mine 20 years ago.
My lunchbox was a pawn shop special $100. Bandsaw was bought on a log home job with 7 arch top windows, it paid for itself but doesn't see much use. I've used a coping or jig saw for most board or thinner curved sawing.

WLC

Quote from: bags on December 10, 2017, 07:24:49 AM
Just a thought WLC--- you could build a cheap little 3' X 4' out feed table to butt up to your table saw--- don't have to worry about tip off with your sled.

Yes.  I've got a "dual use" 6 ft outfeed table/work bench.  I built my work bench to the same height as my tablesaw.  It just happened to be in use when I ripped these boards.  I really need to build a collapseable outfeed table like I saw on the net somewhere as it won't take up much room and folds flat when not in use.  Using one would definitely be safer.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Sprucegum

There has been lots of discussion on jointers and planers but for small projects I get along just fine without either one - a good router can do either job and a lot more besides. So:
Tablesaw
Router
Jigsaw
Drillpress
Lots of jigs for the above
every sander ever sold  ;D

Brad_bb

Since you already have a tablesaw, my next priorities machine-wise would be
lunchbox planer
Compound mitre saw like Dewalt compound sliding mitre saw. 

I started out with a Dewalt DW735 with the optional infeed and outfeed wings.  It's great for the hobby woodworker.  I've outgrown it now since I have a sawmill and need to plane a lot more. 

A planer sled is made from some 3/4 mdf.  So if you have a board that is not flat(rocks on a flat surface).  Put it on the sled and shim it and tape the shims in place so the board doesn't rock.  Run it through the planer a few passes until that side if flat.  Then you can remove the board from the sled and plane the other side normally now that you have one side flat to reference against the planer bed.

I still don't have a jointer.  I've gotten away with the planer bed above for boards, and using the table saw and a good thin glue joint rip blade and a table saw sled when needed to make glue up joints.  I need to upgrade to to a jointer soon though.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Grizzly

Interesting. I already have some of the tools mentioned.
Tablesaw
Miter saw (not slider)
Router
Jigsaw
2 or 3 sanders

The biggest thing I lack for all that is a woodworking shop. My shop is used for mechanical repairs and welding and such and so we always have that greasy dust or dusty grease hanging around and we're always scared of doing much finishing in there. So, Chet how big is that immaculate shop of yours????   :D
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

TKehl

This channel is worth a look if they are short on cash and long on learning.  (Matthias Wandel)

Lots of homemade woodworking tools, jigs, tips, and tricks.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckETVOT59aYw80B36aP9vw
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Sprucegum

Hey Grizz - I just realized we are neighbors! Sorta; I live in Lloyd.

I have a Mastercraft 12" lunch box planer I would trade for a couple boards. I can take a picture if you are interested but it looks a lot like the one in your gallery.

Grizzly

That's a deal we can probably work. What kinda wood do you need? We weren't planning on milling till spring but we might have something on the ground already. Or is it spring now? I'm kinda confused when I go outside.

Sprucegum

Grizzly

Well, member Sprucegum made a deal with my daughter and made the roadtrip today to get it done. She gave some lumber and recieved a lunchbox planer! Sprucegum said he was happy with the deal but Stacey figures she came out way ahead so I guess everyone's happy and all is well. What she got:

Grizzly

Not sure what's correct in this setting but I was thrilled this all worked out and made a donation to the Forum on behalf of those involved.

Dan_Shade

I started off with one of those, I upgraded to a Grizzly 20" machine
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ianab

Even a little planer like that opens up a whole range of things if you have a good source of rough sawn wood. Plenty of others tools you can get to compliment it, but if you are starting wIth rough wood, that's the tool you need the most.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tomsteve

good on ya's with the planer. it would be wise to run a couple scrap pieces through it to see how much snipe it makes. that wat itll be known how much longer material should be rough cut to length.

and now onto a jointer search . ;D

shinnlinger

It looks like the OP has been settled amicably but I have this 12" jointer /planer in my high school shop and feel much as the guy in this video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eliy1v16d0U
Its a good compromise that provides a nice wide surface for face jointing which is important for flattening boards.  Grizzley tools has copied it for a few bucks less, so that may be a decent way to go too.  If you had a 24' surface sander you might be able to avoid a planer altogether.

IN full disclosure We have a dedicated 20" planer and 6" jointer as well so our combo unit is primarily used for face jointing so the planer feature doesn't get used much but it works very well.  The guard is great for surfaces IMO but it can be a bit balky for edge jointing.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Thank You Sponsors!