iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill use

Started by biziedizie, February 27, 2003, 05:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biziedizie

I was reading that latest mag about wood and I was amazed about how many mills aren't used everyday.
  22% of mill owners use their saws once a week or more. 39% use their saws once or twice a month. 28% use their saws about 3 times a year and 11% only run their saws once a year.
  I wish I could afford a mill and only use it once a year!
  Also they say that 74% of sawmill owners don't use a kiln. How many of us here own a kiln or use a kiln service?

Steve

Minnesota_boy

I'd probably use my mill every day, but I get so tired after sawing for 5 days that I need the weekend to rest up. ::)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

redpowerd

were tripping over amish mills up here, so i saw for myself and whoever has a log in my yard. some like to watch, most like to help. most of the time i saw for logs, keeps me at the mill and out of the woods, but thats why i have it. if someone wants it done quick, i do it and i usually get something extra for my time, but its mostly for hobby.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Tom

Although I've thought about a kiln and have threatened to build one several times, I don't have one.  As it turns out, I don't need one but could offer the service to maybe 10% of my customers

I think the that reason mills don't get used is because people buy them after listening to the sales talks and it sounds like easy money.  Most quit after 6 months or so and the mill is parked in a garage.  Why they aren't sold, I haven't figured out.

Many of the smaller mills are owned by back yard cabinet makers who only cut enough for their own inventory.

When I am sawing, it seems that there aren't enough days in the week. :D

biziedizie

Yeah I get where you're coming from! In the construction business I deal with customers and I don't work that hard but the sawmill is hard work and I really enjoy it! It is nice to take a day off when I can but that doesn't happen every month.

Steve

RMay

I was looking at building a kiln but we have a big kiln owner that is drying for people at 15 cents a BF . When my customers need a kiln I have them call him . I do portable custon sawing and at times I could saw every day and at times it is slow . 8)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

biziedizie

I've always been amazed at the amount of mills that just sit and do nothing. When I was looking for a used mill there was nothing around but yet I saw alot of mills under tarps that looked like they have never been used more the once or twice. More then once I have asked people if they want to sell their mills and they don't or they want what they paid for it. Like what's that all about?

Steve

Jeff

I have a frien in the U.P. with an LT40 Hydraulic. Never been outside. I think its a 92, but I could be wrong, maybe 94. I looked at the hour meter and it has only a little over 200 hrs on it. Looks BRAND NEW!  He sawed his house out on it. He had built a special place in his barn for it before he even got it. The side door opens, he puts up some ramps and rolls the logs in. Other then sawing a little for a friend here and there it never gets used. I sure would like to buy it. I'd give him what he paid for it.

He says he's going to keep it in case his son wants to saw out a house someday.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

When we bought our first mill back in 94,  a guy I worked with in the office thought I was nuts. "How could you possibly use a mill enough to put $12,000 into it?"  About the same time he bought a big round hay baler for about the same investment.  I asked him how he could possibly afford to buy a bailer for the amount of use he would have for it.

His hay season came and went and he put up a total of 100 bales for himself and father-in-law that season.  He could have paid to have it done for $700 and set on the porch and sipped ice tea.  

I'd come in about every Monday morning and tell him we made $300 to $400 custom sawing over the weekend and ask; "And how much did you use your baler?".  Didn't take long before it became a sore point.  

I know one family just south of us that has an early Wood-Mizer mill.  They have a couple of large farms.  They refuse to saw for anyone.  They will collect their logs over time and will drag out their mill a couple of times a year and saw them up.  They use the lumber for typical farm construction,  I hear.  It is apparently enough justification for them to own one even though they only use it a hand full of days a year.  
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

RMay

Steve thay can always say there sawmillers if thay have a mill ha ha  :D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Jeff

I say the only justification you need to own one is that you want one and can make the payments. :)  

Jeff

biziedizie

Makes me want to go out and buy a new pair of gloves.....won't wear a pair nor have I ever owned a pair but it sure would be nice to say that I own a pair! I wish that I had money to throw around.

Steve

Tom

OH!  you're supposed to pay for'em?

RMay

Jeff B when I got my mill my wife said we could make the payments but the mill has paid its on payments  8) go for it

BW_Williams

Steve, I intend on running my mill around 100 hours per year.  My theory is this will equal 500 hours of logging and transporting, sticker and stacking, trying to sell lumber, etc.  I don't think that's too bad for a hobby.  (Still work a regular job, volunteer Fire Chief, coach Little League, finish the remodeling the house, etc) I'm currently constucting a 500 bdft solar kiln from Dr. Gene's plans.  Not so much for custom drying, but because the bosslady wants the red oak I sawed for wainscoating in the mud room, and she don't want to wait a year!  Oh well, yes dear, I guess I can build a kiln and have it ready sooner.  (Got to keep her happy)  I also found a couple mills that never seemed to be used much, but no one would part with them.  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Jason_WI

:) He who dies with the most toys wins. :)

This was the sign in a hobby shop I used to go to when I was into flying RC model airplanes.

I have a gas powered radio control truck that I sunk $1200 into... It goes 60 MPH though :o

I am going to send a check for $4800 for an edger next week that is only going to be used on the weekends.....

Each his own I guess

Jason

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

leweee

as one old timer told me.windmill towers you see lots of them few of them are for sale. :(i'am sure sawmills are the same way.it took so long to get it.I hate to let it go. ::) must be like a security blanket or sumthin. ;D ;D ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

EZ

Working at the shop takes away alot of my sawing. The winter months I'll saw for about an hour, if the job is fairly close. It times I wish I had 2 mills to get caught up on the wk end, I would run one & my son-in-law could run the other. Lately I have been getting people that want me to buy their logs, dont no how to do the log buying thing yet. Building these small building & boxes now & its taking away my sawing in the evening. Sometimes I think I'm getting to many hands in the kettle, but love it.
Need a kiln real bad, half the customers want lumber dryed, maybe some day.
EZ

Fla._Deadheader

What's the story on the boxes. Didja make a deal at work??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

AJ

I won't get to use my mill as much as I'd like, spending too many hours at my real job.  I do intend on building a small kiln, probably 500' capacity, so I can dry some of the lumber to either use myself or try selling.  

The theory when I bought it was to sell enough lumber and/or sawmilling to make the payment.  At least that's what the wife agreed to...

biziedizie

I get where you're coming from AJ and making the payments are the big thing.I to have a real job......Well I'm self-employed so I guess that counts! lol!

Steve

Paul_H

I would really like to get a kiln too.There are none in town here,the nearest is over an hour away.The one I've used is two hours away and is a Woodmizer DH kiln.It holds 4000 bf and has done a good job on the Fir that we have put into it.

For me to take one load over the hill to get kiln dried really involves a two day trip.But there is nothing closer for the $ so far.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

isawlogs

I have  a LT40HD that I bought new in 93, it now has well over 4000 HRS. I also bought a portable edger in 94 from enercraft,Would like to saw more often but the winter months here are just to darne cold,As for the kiln, my neibour has a nile that I have acsess to and him being one of my customers I don't think I will soon be getting one.  ;D  Have had a lot of fun with it over the years met alot of great people and plan on meeting alot more, I don't think that there is a week that goes by without someone asking to buy it...the answer is always the same ...It's mine now why would I sell it ?...LOL
Marcel   8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Paul_H

What type of wood are you milling,Marcel?

The oldtimer that sold me his mill has told me he misses it,and has come by to see us a couple of times.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!