iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Haveyou guys seen this yet? Crazy!

Started by Jeff, December 28, 2012, 08:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

That is wild.  I wonder how long that smaller buck had been wanting to do that?

I have seen it happen several times with turkeys.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Migal

My thought's exactly wondering how many time's that Buck was a Bully to the wittle one's Hmm Now who's got the heard???
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

ellmoe

That is "wild"! To catch on video, too!
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

SwampDonkey

Over the years there was a series of shows on a herd of wild horses on PBS. One particular horse named Cloud that was pure white. Animals do strange things for love. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

Here in NY, you are allowed to shoot an animal to protect a person or your property.

Wonder if that would have fit in that situation.   :-\

Around here, someone else would have taken that lesser buck, but then, it was "after shooting hours".

I guess to really answer the question, you'd have had to be there.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

That video shows how fast and aggressive they can be.  If that buck had turned on the bystanders, someone would have been hurt. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

A buck killed a man on his "illegal" deer farm here last year. The government was going to clamp down on these farms, but left it like cowards. Not even enforcing the laws, just a farce. I imagine some of their relatives are running them. DNR knows where they are, so it doesn't take much speculation.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ken

Makes you appreciate the power of those animals when the little buck shoved the larger one around.  I'm not sure I would have been comfortable standing that close.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Paul_H

I would have shot the other one after a minute or so of that aggression.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

WH_Conley

I would have had extra meat in the freezer.
Bill

Jeff

I think the guys did the right thing. He stated once about wishing he had another buck tag, plus, it was after dark so, I'm sure it was after legal hunting hours. Had they shot the other deer, they could have come away with a loss of hunting privileges, fines and maybe even a jail sentence. Having said that, they certainly would have had the right to shoot it if it had turned on them, and I suppose there is the argument, with the way the deer was out of its mind, that they did fear for their own safety, but I think a judge would have argued that they had sufficient time to get to safety if they had not been standing there recording the event.  As it is, I think the video is by far a greater trophy than the mauled muley could ever be.

terry f

I've never seen anyone drag a buck home to gut it, unless these are the half tame bucks that hang around cabins and campgrounds, and thats where it was shot. When they said 10 point, you could tell they weren't local. Cool video, don't realize how much power they have.

Jeff

I've heard of guys not gutting deer in the evening near dark at the point of kill in brown bear country. Imagine if that deer was a brown bear

Corley5

A friend shot a nice 8pt right at the start of legal shooting hours Opening Day and it fell right on the bait pile.  His trail in took him past other camp members blinds so he left it lay and decided to take a nap rather than disturbing their hunting.  Before he could fall asleep a four point wandered in and started eating right next to the deceased deer.  The carcass didn't bother it all.  He did let it go and he had another tag which he filled with another 8pt a few days later  8)  I have a hard time letting anything go with horns that I've got a tag for.  An old saying around these parts is " A shot in the dark means venison in the freezer"  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

clww

Have not seen that before. Most interesting. I've seen turkeys, chickens, crows, and starlings do that, if I've shot them at long range with a rifle. Those antlers can be deadly weapons, just like their hooves.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

blackfoot griz

Six years ago in November, we were working on the interior of our new house. While eating lunch, one of the guys noticed a whitetail buck trotting around the pasture with his nose glued to the ground.  We watched him for a minute or so.  This forked horn buck thought he was really tough.  He faced off one of my horses from about 15 feet away.  He stomped the ground and bobbed his head-- then charged.  The old horse clobbered the top of his head, spun around and let the buck have it with both hinds catching him in the belly and sending the buck airborn.

The horse stopped and the buck staggered off. One of the carpenters said "right there is the difference between being tuff and being stupid".  I thought the buck was going to die.  One antler had broken off during the altercation.

A few days later, I saw the same buck walking through....definately keeping his distance from the horses!

Claybraker

14 years ago, I was at a buddy's hunting camp walking the property in February with my 2 Labs. They jumped a hen turkey, that ran/flew off doing the broken wing thingy, and the younger Lab followed, hot on her tail. It was thick brush, I could sorta follow the progress by the barking of the pup, as I kept hollering for her to return.

They went maybe a 100 yards or so, when suddenly the pup let out a suprised painful yelp, and I could tell that she was on her way back, with something chasing her. She came out of the woods and immediately sought shelter between my legs. Right behind her was a doe that stopped about 10 feet in front of me, pawed the ground a bit, made eye contact, snorted at me as if to say "hey, curb your pet" then calmly sauntered off.

Never had a problem with that dog running trash after that.

Migal

:)
Quote from: Claybraker on December 31, 2012, 08:53:53 PM
14 years ago, I was at a buddy's hunting camp walking the property in February with my 2 Labs. They jumped a hen turkey, that ran/flew off doing the broken wing thingy, and the younger Lab followed, hot on her tail. It was thick brush, I could sorta follow the progress by the barking of the pup, as I kept hollering for her to return.

They went maybe a 100 yards or so, when suddenly the pup let out a suprised painful yelp, and I could tell that she was on her way back, with something chasing her. She came out of the woods and immediately sought shelter between my legs. Right behind her was a doe that stopped about 10 feet in front of me, pawed the ground a bit, made eye contact, snorted at me as if to say "hey, curb your pet" then calmly sauntered off.

Never had a problem with that dog running trash after that.

Yes something about "Welcome to the real world" rings in my ear's when Im in the wood's  8)  :new_year:
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

drobertson

Had a good friend shoot a nice buck, after he had shot the doe first, just waiting around he saw the buck coming in and actually tried to mount the doe, dead doe, he shot the buck and filled his tags in about a 5 min span. the buck measured in the 160 in class.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chris Burchfield

Thanks Jeff.  I saw a film of a Buck doing the same to a downed doe.  The guys filming don't know how dangerous what they were doing was, in such close proximity.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Peter Drouin

That is Crazy, but a hand full of dirt at the right time or stick would have made him run off  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!