iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The internet fixed my truck

Started by Jeff, August 30, 2008, 09:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

A couple years ago we had the fuel pump quit on our Chevy truck. It aint easy or cheap to fix. After having it replaced, it ran good for a little over a month, then it started starting hard after it warmed up and on occasion would chug. It would start instantly with a cold engine, but crank and crank to start after it had run a few moments. So, back to the the same shop. They claimed the fuel pump was defective and replaced it again.  They changed filters as well.  The problem remained. They said nothing was wrong with it.  We had it several other places for diagnosis that could find nothing.  This summer it seemed to be getting even worse. Cranking longer to start, even smelling of fuel at times after starting.  When Onewithwood was here he mentioned it, as he could smell the fuel, thinking it was like an automatic choke. 

That got me thinking and researching. I got on google and typed in the trucks symptoms. In return I got several posts on forums with the exact same problem, and the exact same thngs happening to them at shops trying to figure it out. That's where I found the cure.  Its apparently a part that doesn't always show up with the electronic diagnosis.  Its a $60 dollar part and can be changed in 10 minutes.  The fuel injector pressure regulator. Its located on the drivers side fuel rail on the 5.3 and has a vacuum hose hooked to it. Its no bigger in diameter then a 50 cent piece.   I find it funny that after having the truck in for this problem several times that we found the problem and cured it ourselves using a search engine.

The truck starts better and runs better then it has in years. Its also getting better fuel mileage.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Rocky_J

Good deal, Jeff! Glad it's running correctly now.  8)

Roxie

There are so many wonderful things about having all that information at your finger tips.  When it's used correctly, the internet is an awesome tool.   :)
Say when

Radar67

That's cool Jeff. I used the internet to change my auto locking 4 wheel drive hubs to manual, when the gear exploded. It sure saved me a bunch of money and the job was a lot easier than I thought.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

sawguy21

That is how I found the correct hub kit for my truck too. There is a lot of garbage out there but there is also an incredible amount of useful information on every subject imaginable.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Warbird

Hey Jeff, that's awesome!  Wanna come up and help me fix my old Chevy pickup? ;D It is having somewhat similar issues but is carburetted, not fuel injected.

Tom

It probably also helps to have a bunch of grey cells between your ears, like you do.   Most wouldn't question the dealer or their fixes.  It takes a little bit of pugnacity to stick with something until it's fixed and  even more to listen someone else on the way.

Tim L

my friend just had his pump changed for the second time in a year . Hmmm ? His is a 2000 chevy truck.
Do the best you can and don't look back

logwalker

Yes, since the advent of fuel injection, the FPR is one of those items that should be changed routinely. At least every 50k in my opinion. The real question is why the service mechanics couldn't find it.  What passes as training these days?    :( 

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Jeff

Quote from: Tim L on August 30, 2008, 06:44:41 PM
my friend just had his pump changed for the second time in a year . Hmmm ? His is a 2000 chevy truck.
Mine is a 1999. Find out if he has the same symptoms. When my fuel pump actually went, it went. Had to tow it home. The pressure regulator has just been a bugger.  I should have mentioned the problem when I had the truck at Eggimann's this spring where they have top notch mechanics. There was so much other stuff going on with it at the time that that problem slipped my mind.  I got a picture of the things tore down to put a heater core in it. Looks like it's been opened up with the jaws of life.

Tim L

on the same truck we are going to weld the frame . The body looks great but the frame went near the back of the cab. Jeff, the symptoms sound identical .
Do the best you can and don't look back

Jeff

Mooseherder

Quote from: Jeff on August 31, 2008, 09:42:33 AM
I'll bet thats the problem.

Things we'll do to get to a heater core. :o

Good thing it wasn't a serious problem. :D

KnotBB

You might want to check just behind the steering wheel.  Might be a loose nut that needs tightened.   :D :D :D
To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

stonebroke

Remember when the heater  was on the firewall in the engine compartment. You could change it in maybe ten minutes. Ah the good old days.

Stonebroke

rebocardo

> Its apparently a part that doesn't always show up with the electronic diagnosis.

That is the difference between a tech. and mech.  A tech only knows what the computer tells him.

> When Onewithwood was here he mentioned it, as he could smell the fuel

What happens is it leaks after being shut off because the pressure has no where to go and it evaporates on the hot engine when it leaks. I tracked this down on a 2000 Olds mini-van for a customer. What a messed up design from GM to change that puppy (FPR).

A real mechanic would have put a fuel pressure gauge on it before he changed the filter, then if the pressure was not 35+ psi and higher at WOT, or held steady, he would have changed the FPR too. 

FWIW: Yours was a classic symptom or either the fuel filter, FPR, or low pressure pump/check valve (loses prime) being bad. Especially with the extended cranking issue.

Jeff

Well it sure is better now. I dont get out and do much stop and go driving. I am either here at the house, or up north, where I usually go with my sister. Tammy drives the truck 95% of the time. Today we had to do some errands and I was driving. It sure is a totally different truck then it had been.

pigman

QuoteIt sure is a totally different truck then it had been.
Are you sure you didn't steal the neighbor's Dodge? Maybe you ment the truck is running a lot better. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

OneWithWood

Glad you got to the source of the problem.  I bet your mileage has increased noticeably.

'automatic choke'...showing my age again  ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

rebocardo

Yes, usually after you replace a bad FPR it has more pep and the MPG goes up a tad too. Helps to not leak gas too. At $4 a gallon, more MPG isn't a bad thing, I bet bet the return to normal MPG will pay for the repair within a year easy.

metalspinner

Jeff,
I'm glad the truck is running great. move_it

The pic of your dismantled truck reminded me of something I went through last year.  It was "bring your pet to school day" at my son's elementary school.  We elected to bring in the pet gecko.

Well, I had to stop at the doctors office before going to school with the gecko.  On my return to the truck guess who was not in his traveling case.  >:(  By the end of the day, the truck looked like your pic.  He had made his way behind the rear seat and behind the plastic facade that snaps onto the cab of the truck.  Some of you may question my determination to find that little bugger, but the thought of that lizard dying and stinking up the truck was too much for me to bear.   :D  That and the broken heart of my youngest, of course.  ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Jeff

What did we do before the internet?  I know one thing, today it saved me some money. Yesterday during the attempt to cook some goodies for the super bowl, our oven quit.  I looked at it briefly last night, but more thoroughly today.

The ignitor would come on and glow brightly, but the oven would not light. no gas.  I figured there must be an oxygen sensor, or thermocouple or perhaps it was even the digital controls. Couldn't really figure it out because I couldn't find any sensors in the system. So, I got on google and searched the problem for our make of stove.  I got an answer right away, and I never would have considered it as the problem. It was the ignitor. Even though it was glowing red hot, it is wired in series to a bi-metal switch that opens the gas valve.  If enough amps are not flowing past the ignitor to the switch, the gas valve doesn't open.  I wouldn't have ever considered the ignitor because it visibly worked well, so I would have had to call a repairman to have them trouble shoot it and fix it.  Armed with the information of what the problem more than likely was, we found the part at an appliance store in the next town south, it took me about 15 minutes to change it, and the oven was ovening again.  8)

Magicman

Nice fix.   smiley_thumbsup

I was dealing with a problem with our Daughter's clothes washer or maybe I should say that it was dealing with me.  She walks in with the laptop and asked "if this would help"??  Say what??  She had Googled and had the whole thing laid out.  :o  No way would I have ever fixed it without her help. (And I would not have thought to Google it either.)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

ovening again. I must say, I like that phase.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Crow99

Same thing here..  A couple of years ago the AC in my wife's 2003 Camry started going on and off.  Estimates ran from low on refrigerant (not!!) to needing a new compressor. Turned out it was a relay to the magnetic clutch and cost me $25 to fix it myself. The net even showed the faulty part # which I had and the new replacement part #. Saved several hundred $$ there..

drobertson

you tube has helped on several occasions, the last being the washer, easy fix once you know where to look ;D
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Roxie

On the other hand, I had a problem with my 2006 Explorer and intermittent bucking.  If you Google that problem, you get a lot of suggestions that are mostly from the Ford Forums.  I tried every suggestion, but still the Explorer would buck with no rhyme or reason and no dash lights would come on. 

The beginning of November, I took the Ford to get four new tires.  Good, gripping, Cooper tires all the way around.  A few weeks went by, and the bucking never happened.  My son and I were talking, and I asked him how getting new tires could possibly stop the bucking, and he pointed out to me that my Explorer had 'on demand' four wheel drive.  Apparently, my tires were so bad they were slipping, and the four wheel was trying to come on, which on dry pavement caused a bucking action. 

Sometimes, truth is stranger than fiction.   :D
Say when

GAB

If they added the new words I've seen on this site like "ovening" the dictionary would grow by a few pages a year.  Keep 'em coming.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

m wood

I so totally agree Jeff.  I used to have the Chiltons aroung ther garage so very many years ago.  drobertson took the words out of my mouth...youtube is amazing for how-to's.  One better though, I now borrow my teenagers kindle and have it while I'm working.  I'm usually a mess so thats all I ask my helper to do; use there clean hands and look up this and look up that, now go back, now pause right there :D.  OK got it.
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Jeff

Roxie, actually, I don't think the tires were actually slipping. What was happening is, that a worn tire becomes a smaller diameter than a new tire. Most newer vehicle computers are programmed with the required tire specifications and certain limits. Once the tire became very worn, and because of the now smaller circumference, the computer was sensing that the tire was slipping because it was not traveling the proper distance within the limits programed per rotation of the tire. So, the tire was rotating faster than it was supposed to, thus it must be spinning, thus, time to kick in the auto 4 wheel drive.

Magicman

Some of that anti-slipping stuff can mess you up too.  Sometimes you want the tires to actually spin and the computer will prevent it.  There are buttons to override the computer but you have to remember to press it.   :-\

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I've saved time ($$) and actual money (still in my pocket) from information from the internet regarding my saws. I didn't know anything and completely rebuilt a saw 4 years ago and used it ever since for 100's of acres.  8) 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bill Gaiche

I looked up a u tube video on installing new mirrors on my 04 silverado. Found the exact thing for my replacements. Not that I couldn't have done it without it, but it gave me all the tools,and insight to change them out. This makes things a lot easier when you have a clear picture of what you are getting into. bg

r.man

I really like checking out a problem on the net and since I always drive older vehicles the work arounds and diy fixes are numerous for most problems. The one I like best was an intermittent fuel problem that saw the car towed twice. Checked different things but then found a suggestion on the net. The European fuel pump relays are known for micro cracks in their solder so I removed the relay, touched each solder joint with a hot iron and the problem never re-occurred. The actual fix took about 15 minutes and the relay was 80 dollars and a trip to the next town to pick one up.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Thank You Sponsors!