iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The winter that wasn't!!

Started by Woodhauler, January 25, 2017, 07:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

This whole month has been way above average on temps, My truck has sat all week in driveway. Hauled one load that was pre loaded on the weekend. Roads are posted everywhere. Rained all day Tuesday, showers today. Going to be a long spring at this rate. Skidder crews cant work either.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Riwaka

You require frozen ground to work, is there too much mud otherwise?
You can't use cable systems to lift the loags over the wet ground?
Have you looked through the various long-range weather forecasts? e.g Winter usually turns up sometime even for a short time, in this part of the Southern Hemisphere, 2016's coldest day of the year was about 8 weeks later than usual, the biggest snowfall was after the ski season had ended.
http://www.almanac.com/weather/longrange/region/us/1

https://youtu.be/u9rTyw6zylM  (billy in Co)

sawguy21

Once the frozen roads start to thaw, they become very muddy and unstable until the soil dries out. Even paved roads are weakened, weight restrictions are placed on them and reduced loads don't pay. Some are closed altogether to heavy traffic.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WDH

The glaciers don't play around. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

No postings here yet. I live on a dirt road and one small area did start to thaw. But nothing bad.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Oliver05262

We're in deep----ummmmm-mud here. Paved roads are OK, but the dirt ones are soft in places. They aren't posted, but you would really make some folks unhappy if you tear them up. The road into the landing is shaded most of the way, but greasy on top so you need to chain up the truck when you go in to load up.
  The wind has shut down things in the woods on some days, too.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

OH logger

bad here in ohio too. only logged maybe 5 or 6 days since Christmas  :(   its nice to have a bunch of work lined up until mud season comes one and a half months too early
john

AlexHart

We've been stymied for 9 days now.   

I'm a little nervous I'll never sell another load of firewood ever at this rate :( 

Mountain_d

It has been warm up this way also but we do have a good amount of snow. It is mid thigh is this area and dense. Tough walking from tree to tree and pulling mainline with the saw!  :'(
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

snowstorm

been rite out straight. its been snow sleet freezing rain over and over. my trucks have put out a lot of winter sand. way more than all of last year

Ed_K

Don't worry, we haven't got to Feb yet  ;D :o .
Ed K

coxy

I don't worry to much till march that month is a bugger never know whats going to happen  :)

Maine logger88

Gonna get cold next week hope we can get 5 or 6 good weeks in. Been busy this week wrenching for my uncle
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

snowstorm

Quote from: Maine logger88 on January 26, 2017, 05:21:58 PM
Gonna get cold next week hope we can get 5 or 6 good weeks in. Been busy this week wrenching for my uncle
and riding in the plow truck

Maine logger88

Quote from: snowstorm on January 26, 2017, 05:29:21 PM
Quote from: Maine logger88 on January 26, 2017, 05:21:58 PM
and riding in the plow truck
That too lol!

snowstorm

you should have there for the ice storm a few weeks ago when we both slid off the road

Maine logger88

I didn't hear about that one! Dad said he lost a tire awhile back tho

snowstorm

Quote from: Maine logger88 on January 26, 2017, 05:41:54 PM
I didn't hear about that one! Dad said he lost a tire awhile back tho
yes a front one went bang. i told him to drive it back to the garage. what was left of the tire came off . good thing it was dark. hopefully no one saw it

killamplanes

Here in central illinois my production in the logging industry has been hovering between slim and none.  It's either 0 degrees or 50 and mud. Can't catch a break....
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

thumper

it hasn't quit snowing here since thanksgiving.. oh look its still snowing.  full time job plowing the lot road and were running out of room to put the stuff!
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

ehp

where I am its been raining steady and I mean steady , only cut a couple loads of grade logs each week for the last 2 weeks . not great but better than nothing , strange thing is for some reason this week I have had to process firewood , not a lot but 30 full cord which is better than sitting at home watching the TV, got another load readfy for Monday morning of logs to

luvmexfood

Mud and more mud here. Got a call a couple of weeks ago from a company I work for some. Could I go to Maryland for two weeks and help on a store remodel. One of the big home improvements stores. One night we went into the kitchen cabinet displays. Took them down along with the counter tops, some of which were solid granite. Busted them all up, stacked on pallets and hauled to the dumpster. Only thing they wanted to save was the old used pallets we stacked the stuff on. There were some nice high end cabinets. They could have saved them and sold them for a shop or garage if nothing else.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Oliver05262

Wow. After having helped build homes with Habitat for Humanity, I think that's an awful shame to just scrap those cabinets & stuff. Why couldn't they donate them to a local Habitat ReStore or sumething like that? Could either use them in a new build or remodel, or sell to generate funds to help put someone in a home..............
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Grandpa

Finally got back to work today, ;D my last day was the 19th. Been rainy and warm.

trecher2

i'm with grampa its about time we saw frozen ground again in wi, ten day forcast looks good also.

Thank You Sponsors!