iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Calculating Board Footage of some softwood.

Started by SwampDonkey, November 08, 2007, 03:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Ok, let's see if I get this right from the toolbox. But measurements taken 1.0 meter from root ball.

Spruce 1: 18 inches on but, 10 inches on top, 22 feet long, 185 bf (int)

Spruce 2: 18 inches on but, 10 inches on top, 22 feet long, 185 bf (int)

Fir 1: 18 inches on but, 8 inches on top, 32 feet long, 233 bf (int)  ;D

1.2 cords.

I got the spruce tops cut off, just need to limb them and cut off the but. I got to buck and limb the fir. These were casualties of the storm. Gonna contact the neighbor, who owns a mill and see if he want them. They are freebies. He can have'm or whomever, or they can be worm food. They are within 20 feet of the field, so easy to fetch. Man that fir sure tore a big whole into the earth, had real sound roots compared to the spruce.

There is a meter stick on the left edge of the hole.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sawyerfortyish

SD if you were selling them I'de tell you buck 10 or 12' off the butt of #1&2 for more footage and #3buck 2-16 footers. You will gain footage.

SwampDonkey

Oh ya, I understand that. I was just calculating tree volume, not log volume with the calculators. They look to me like they would make great 2 x 6's or even 2 x 10's. Looks like good white wood. I'm real interested in counting the rings in that huge balsam. I bet it's no more than 60 years old. It pulled the ledge up out of the hole it made in the ground. Wish I had 1000 acres of'm. ;D I got a 26" dbh spruce still standing with small limb knots to. But she's gonna stand. Wish I owned a little mill and a tractor or porter, maybe when I'm a millionaire.  :D :D :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

cantcutter

I have heard old rural legends about people throwing bodies in those holes and standing the trees back up :o

LT40HDD51

Just watch it when you make the butt cut. The rootball may wanna flop right back into the hole...  ;)
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

SwampDonkey

I'm not concerned about the spruce flipping, but the fir could be interesting. I think if I notch it on the underbelly with the notch sloped to the stump, then cut down through her it should be fine. I'll need to put a skid in under the logs before the but cut so we can wrap a chain around it. The limbs are keeping the logs off the ground.

What ya think?  ;)

LT40HDD51

Sounds good. Ive limbed enough fir and spruce to know what youre going at  ;D ;).
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

SwampDonkey

Well, while I was away all week the neighbors came for the logs. So, I didn't get involved really. I see them sitting up at the mill of the fellow I called first. Too bad he wasn't on the ball, but he still gets to mill them.  ;D

That fir was 45 years old on the stump. Looks like she flopped back into the crater like I thought it would. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!