iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

board feet

Started by bluffman2, November 02, 2014, 10:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluffman2

I tried using the calculator in the toolbox but don't know if im figuring it right. If I have 26 cypress trees that are 15-18 inches at breast height and 8 inches after the tree has been topped, and approx. 30-35 feet long, approx. how many board feet would that yield...

GAB

Quote from: bluffman2 on November 02, 2014, 10:10:40 AM
I tried using the calculator in the toolbox but don't know if im figuring it right. If I have 26 cypress trees that are 15-18 inches at breast height and 8 inches after the tree has been topped, and approx. 30-35 feet long, approx. how many board feet would that yield...

I believe that how you buck them up will be a large determining factor as to what your yield could/will be.
For example: using the Int 1/4" scale
8" diameter (inside the bark) x 32' long will yield 60 board feet.
But since logs are frustrums of cones and assuming you can get
an 8" dia. x 8'
an 11" dia. x 8'
a 14" dia. x 8'
and a 17" dia. x 8'
Then using the same scale that would tally up to 210 BdFt.
So based on my example and assumption you possible yield could be some where between 1560 (26 x 60) and 5460 (26 x 210) BdFt.
Please note: This example assumes perfectly straight and round logs to start with.
I hope this helps you.
Gerald

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

bluffman2

most are straight, some are crooked..im just hoping for enough to do my living and dining room walls and ceilings

Ron Wenrich

What you're looking at is a 15-18" 2 log tree.  When cruising timber, you start with a diameter at breast height or dbh.  From there, you figure out how many 16' logs are in the tree.  The measure is to the half log.  A 32' high tree is 2 logs.

One other factor is the form class or FC.  What that measure is the diameter inside bark at the end of the first log.  This isn't something to get too excited about, since usually you use a FC that is indicative of the timber you are cruising and is not done on a per tree basis.  Form class is simply the diameter inside bark at 17' (allowing 1' for trim and stump) divided by the dbh.  So, if you have a tree that is 16" and a FC of 78, the inside diameter would be estimated at about 12.5".  Most hardwoods use a FC of 78.  Some of the softwoods and older hardwoods can be 80 to 82.  A FC of 80 means there is less taper than a FC of 78.  Use what you think is appropriate.  The higher the FC, the higher the volume.

Given that you have 2 logs, and a 16" tree and a FC of 78, you would have a volume of 116 bf in the Doyle scale.  In the International scale, that would be 180 bf.  You have to use the board foot - tree calculator for standing timber.  The log calculator is for logs.  There is often an overrun from tree to log and from log to sawn lumber.  It all depends on the skill of the estimator as well as the skill of the operator.  What product you're sawing for will also effect the output.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!