iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band width question?

Started by kenfrommaine, April 22, 2016, 06:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenfrommaine

Hello everyone
I have been lurking for sometime and gathered a lot of interesting things from this group. Lots of knowledge here for sure. Thank you for letting me join.
I am starting a bandsaw build and have some questions.
I have 20" bandsaw wheels they have 1" axle holes and the wheels themselves are 1.5" wide, what width blade can I or should I use use? Also what is the opinions of this motor DuroMax XP18HPE 18 HP Electric Start Go Kart Log Splitter Gas Power Engine Motor they sell for just over $300. on ebay new. Any good?
Thanks again and I will be asking I am sure lots more questions.
Ken

kenfrommaine

Here are the specs on the motor above....SPECIFICATIONS
Displacement:   440cc Bore: 92, Stroke: 66.
Max Output:   18.0 HP / 3600 RPM.
Max Torque:   21.0 ft/lb.
Shaft Size:   1" Diameter, 2 ¾" Long, ¼" Keyway,
Shaft End:   3/8" Size 24 UNF - Drilled and Tapped
Measurement from Center of Shaft to Base:   5"
Dimensions Of Unit:   16.4L x 17.9W x17.4H
Fuel Tank Capacity:   1.7 Gallons
Average Run Time:   1/2 Gallon Per Hour (at 1/2 load)
Dry Weight:   77 lbs
Recommended Fuel Type:   Gasoline - 87 Octane Rating Or Better

Ox

First, welcome to the forum, it's the best.
If your wheels/tires/belts have a good crown, you can run pretty much whatever you want.  Adjust your tracking accordingly to keep the teeth off the rubber.  Most common is 1-1/4" followed by 1-1/2".  Most common tends to be most cheap.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Magicman

kenfrommaine, I am not a sawmill builder, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ozarkgem

For 18 HP use the  1 1/4 width blades.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

kenfrommaine

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the input. The wheels I have are from an old large band saw I don't think they have a crown I think they are flat surface. I will check in the am.  Is 18 hp enough? I am looking to build this mill for sawing out both hard and soft woods. I am a cabinet maker/contractor and also cut some logs. I have some large pasture pine that I would like to slab out for counter tops and bars etc. along with regular boards. So I need to build this big enough to handle I figure 30" to 36" logs, not cutting a lot of slabs but want the option.  Mostly the mill will be cutting 12" to 24" logs. I have a welder, plasma cutter and most of the necessary tools/toys. Looking at some of the pics of the mills some of you have built is very impressive. thanks again.

redprospector

Just my 2 cents.
I don't think your wheels are going to work well for you. At 1 1/2" wide you're going to need a band that's wider than the wheels, and the center bore being only 1" I'm going to say is too small for what you are wanting to do. The mill I built has 1 1/2" shafts, and I've had problems with them a time or 2.
You could probably get by with 18 hp, but more is always more better. ;)
I've ran mills with 14hp, 16hp, 20hp, a 53? Hp VW, and the one I'm running now has a 27 hp Kohler. I love cutting with the VW, but the 27 horse has hydraulics on the bed and will out perform at the end of the day.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Kbeitz

You need to use something like 4150 steel for your 1" axles or something better than cold roll.
With flat wheels you could have a machine shop crown them for you or you could buy some
band saw tires. Band saw tires is a strip of crowned rubber or polyurethane that fits around
your wheels.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ozarkgem

Quote from: redprospector on April 23, 2016, 12:44:24 AM
Just my 2 cents.
I don't think your wheels are going to work well for you. At 1 1/2" wide you're going to need a band that's wider than the wheels, and the center bore being only 1" I'm going to say is too small for what you are wanting to do. The mill I built has 1 1/2" shafts, and I've had problems with them a time or 2.
You could probably get by with 18 hp, but more is always more better. ;)
I've ran mills with 14hp, 16hp, 20hp, a 53? Hp VW, and the one I'm running now has a 27 hp Kohler. I love cutting with the VW, but the 27 horse has hydraulics on the bed and will out perform at the end of the day.
Never thought about a VW engine. I would think that would kick butt.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Ox

I have a 13hp engine on my mill.  I was able to saw a monster black cherry that was just under 3' across.  There is just over 32" of clearance between the guides.  It was maxed out.  The 13hp did it.  Slowly, but did it.  Normal logs there is no problems for me.  I'm not in production, just for us so speed isn't an issue.  Just to give you a little perspective that your 18hp will be good enough, I'm betting.  :)
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

muggs

The specs on the engine don't add up. 18 hp at 3600 rpm . The torque should be more like 27 ft. lbs. I think they are being optimistic  on the horsepower.     Muggs

Bruno of NH

I have a 13hp honda on my mill and run 1 1/2 bands and cut big logs . When a band starts to dull I change it out right off .
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, kenfrommaine.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ox

Quote from: muggs on April 23, 2016, 09:30:45 AM
The specs on the engine don't add up. 18 hp at 3600 rpm . The torque should be more like 27 ft. lbs. I think they are being optimistic  on the horsepower.     Muggs
I don't know about the torque but my 13hp is 420cc.  At least that's what the sticker says.  A 430cc should be around 12 - 15hp or so, according to this theory.

Thank You Sponsors!