iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tree marking paint

Started by Coconut, December 27, 2017, 06:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coconut

Hi All, Can someone tell me what kind of paint to use for marking during the winter ?

Oldmil

We use Nelson paint year 'round.  We use Trecoder paint guns for the quart cans.  In the past, I used the Nelson guns and we would cut the paint with diesel fuel (approx. 25% diesel). I don't cut the paint when using the Trecoder guns. I believe the Nelson paint is petroleum based so it will not freeze (I had some in the bed of my truck for several hours today at -15 deg F, no problems).  I haven't used Bark Mark paint but was told it is water based so would need to be kept warm until put on the gun.

Hope this helps.

Oldmil

Clark

I always use Bark Mark but avoid marking in the winter. I've been told you can add, similar to the diesel with Nelspot, windshield washer fluid rated for cold temps and spray just fine to 0ºF.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Ron Scott

Primarily use Nelson Paints and some Tree Coder Paints. It is water based so do need to thin it down with a little paint thinner in the winter. Use the Nelson Paint guns with the larger nozzle and carry a thin wire to open up the nozzle should it freeze shut or become clogged with snow. When it gets down around zero I will warm the paint up with a Buddy Heater on the tail gate of the truck.

As the snow gets deeper the tree stumps will need to be opened up with your foot or a paddle for painting the stump mark. Snowshoes are also used for travel. ;)

Winter marking is not as productive so try to avoid it as much as possible and only work the better weather days.
~Ron

Raider Bill

Last Thanksgiving Wild Bill and I marked my property lines with purple rustolem spray primer/ paint as Tennessee had just passed the purple paint law.
Think it will last? I laid it on pretty thick into the bark.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

petefrom bearswamp

I used the Nelson gun with the larger nozzle.
Marketed my own brand of paint for 10 or so years formulated by a local paint company.
It worked well with the larger nozzle down to -10 which was the coldest I ever marked that I can remember.
When in deep snow i used a sidewalk ice chopper with dbh marked on the handle to clear for stump marks determine dbh and help with balance.
I once did a job when the snow was only 6" deep but it snowed 3-1/2 feet right after and the buyers couldnt see the marks.
I then modified my marking height to what i thought was about 6' from the ground.
I have used bark mark, Nelson and tree ink as well as my own brand in my career.
My blue was extremely durable and lasted in excess of 20 years on some of the property lines I marked.
My supplier went out of business tho and sold the formulas to another outfit that wants $25 per gallon in 500 gallon lots.
Bill, I have no clue on the rustoleum.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Coconut

Thank you all.In regards to  your reply. Big help. I will not be marking any time soon.It has been around 20 to  -20 f  It has been this cold from my first post.  Thanks again!

Shickory

Nelson paint works well to -12 C after that the last 40% of the can sputters making stump marks frustratingly slow. I carry a D shovel handle with shovel removed and replaced with and old WIA sign. A piece is cut out of the sign  that is  15 cms long and 6 cms at stump marking end with a slight curve opposite of tree curve. I wrapped and bolted the metal to wooden shovel handle leaving 10 cm protruding below end of wooden handle. Works well can actually carve bark if required. Marking in snow creates better visibility for harvestors because of the added height of snow.

Thank You Sponsors!