iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cucumber furniture

Started by bulldozerjoe, June 16, 2019, 11:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldozerjoe

Hi guys, new guy here, I'm having a sawyer make me some furniture for my new house.... I wanted to use some cucumber wood for maybe end table and coffee table... do any of you guys have some pics of cucumber furniture that I could see... I'm trying to use every wood species on my property for different furniture, ash is my flooring, cherry is my dinning room table, hard maple will be another table and 
Now I have cucumber left... thanks 
New holland tc 45
Fransguard 4000
Sthil 021-028super-029-066

Brad_bb

I've never heard of cucumber other than what you get in a salad.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

bulldozerjoe

That's what we call in around here, I guess it's also called magnolia
New holland tc 45
Fransguard 4000

bulldozerjoe

New holland tc 45
Fransguard 4000

bulldozerjoe

New holland tc 45
Fransguard 4000

WDH

It has green heartwood like yellow poplar.  They are cousins in the same family, the Magnolias.  The wood just very similar to yellow poplar and you should have no problem finding pics of yellow poplar wood on the web. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

Poplar and cucumber are sold mixed together and used mostly as secondary woods in furniture. They machine, glue, and finish well, in fact a good finish man can make them look like a number of other woods. In the cabinet shop we used it for paint grade work because it does work well and takes paint well. I also made a lot of stain and paint grade architectural molding with them. The green heartwood turns light brown with age.

Thank You Sponsors!