iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New in Northeren Lower Michigan

Started by 6610, November 20, 2014, 08:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi all, I've been reading the forum for awhile now and finely registered.  My name is Mark and I recently purchased on old Bellsaw M14 that had been sitting outside unsed for the last nine years.  A couple owners before me had mounted it on a modified house trailer frame so it's somwhat mobile.  I say somewhat because once I get it set up it's not moving again.  My hope is to have it up and running by sometime next summer, we'll see how that goes.  It came with a late sixties vintage GM V6 gas engine that I think I can get running again, I could put a tractor on it but I like the idea of haveing a dedicated power source.

I have very little milling experience so I'm sure I'll have questions as this project goes along.  The ForestryForum has already answerd a lot of my questions, thanks for all the great information.  I'll post pictures as the project goes along.

fishpharmer

6610,  welcome to FF!  Keep us posted on your progress.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bill Gaiche

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, 6610.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

woodworker9

Welcome to the forum!  You've come to the right place for information.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

sealark37

Sooner or later you will get tired of pouring gasoline in that V-6.  Keep your eyes and mind open for a better replacement power source.  Welcome aboard.  Regards, Clark

Dave Shepard

Welcome. Northern Lower, does that make you a troll from under da bridge?  :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

6610,welcome to the forum. What's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Quote from: sealark37 on November 21, 2014, 04:19:40 PM
Sooner or later you will get tired of pouring gasoline in that V-6.  Keep your eyes and mind open for a better replacement power source.  Welcome aboard.  Regards, Clark

A diesel would certainly be better and I haven't gotten the gasser to run yet so who knows.

Quote from: thecfarm on November 21, 2014, 07:38:35 PM
6610,welcome to the forum. What's the plan for the lumber?

To start out with the lumber will be for on the farm projects, we'll see what it evolves into.

buzywoodliff

Welcome to the forum.... Great bunch of people here and a gold mine of advice!!

Is there a JD in front of that 6610?

RM Farm

6610, Welcome to the forum. Great folks = Great advice! :)
Thanks, Robert

Woodland Mills HM126; Kubota L3200 with FEL, quick attach forks.

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forestry Forum 6610. Will be good to see pics of your progress! We likes pics. There will be lots of guys here willing to assist with good tips
When it comes to setting up that circle mill. Also, I am pretty sure one of the guys las linked the USDA Forest Service circle mill sawmill handbook(called something else) somewhere on here and that is a real good reference for when you set your mill up and go after tuning it to cut good lumber.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Quote from: mad murdock on November 22, 2014, 08:04:06 AM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum 6610. Will be good to see pics of your progress! We likes pics. There will be lots of guys here willing to assist with good tips
When it comes to setting up that circle mill. Also, I am pretty sure one of the guys las linked the USDA Forest Service circle mill sawmill handbook(called something else) somewhere on here and that is a real good reference for when you set your mill up and go after tuning it to cut good lumber.

I'll defiantly post pictures when I start working on it, hope to get it in the shop after the first of the year.
I found the link to the USDA CIRCULAR SAWMILLS AND THEIR EFFICIENT OPERATION http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf   a while ago and than found a used print copy on Amazon, I'm old school I  still like to turn pages. 

Busy Beaver Lumber

Welcome to the forum 6610. Located in Fort Wayne Indiana Here
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!